Nebraska Sports TV Channel

Big 10 channel is a joke, this is purely for revenue which is what college football has come down to, making as much money of the "student athletes" as possible. If the Big 10 network really wanted this for the fans they would quit ripping off every cable provider which in turn raises cable rates to pay for the channel. I know watching games on PPV bites but we do not want a Big 12 channel b/c if they do things they way the Big 10 did it, no cable provider would want to carry it.

As a MWC fan I love having our own channel I can watch 90% of the Wyoming games, and I wish I could

see that many Husker games without paying for PPV. But I also had to wait three years for the station to be picked up by DirecTV, so it wasn't always that great having a conference television station.

The main difference between the Big10 network and The Mtn. is The Mtn. has marquee conference matchups while the Big10 network is mainly crap games

I think that almost qualifies as an oxymoron.

I almost would prefer an online "webwork" thing.

Most people probably have or will have highspeed internet.

You wouldn't have to rely on the cable company or dish to have it packaged with 50 other channels you don't want, and you could pick what to watch from a menu and not be a slave to someone else's schedule.

Probably get higher percentage of PPV revenue if shown through your own site.

Big 10 channel is a joke, this is purely for revenue which is what college football has come down to, making as much money of the "student athletes" as possible. If the Big 10 network really wanted this for the fans they would quit ripping off every cable provider which in turn raises cable rates to pay for the channel. I know watching games on PPV bites but we do not want a Big 12 channel b/c if they do things they way the Big 10 did it, no cable provider would want to carry it.

As a MWC fan I love having our own channel I can watch 90% of the Wyoming games, and I wish I could

see that many Husker games without paying for PPV. But I also had to wait three years for the station to be picked up by DirecTV, so it wasn't always that great having a conference television station.

The main difference between the Big10 network and The Mtn. is The Mtn. has marquee conference matchups while the Big10 network is mainly crap games

I think that almost qualifies as an oxymoron.

yeah your right having three top 25 teams in a Non-BCS conference is downright terrible :sarcasm

I almost would prefer an online "webwork" thing.

Most people probably have or will have highspeed internet.

You wouldn't have to rely on the cable company or dish to have it packaged with 50 other channels you don't want, and you could pick what to watch from a menu and not be a slave to someone else's schedule.

Probably get higher percentage of PPV revenue if shown through your own site.

See that's a good idea as well. I would sign up for something like that over the internet through huskers.com. That way I wouldn't have to worry about my satellite company picking up the network and the dish going out during bad storms.

Check out this news story:

University of Texas Plans Sports TV Channel

If this happens, there will be an even bigger gulf between the "haves" and the "have-nots". As someone states in the article, "the revenue pie for college sports stays essentially the same, but they keep slicing it up." In the short term, it doesn't appear that this would take away from the Big 12 shared television revenue for the schools, but it's not hard to see where this would lead.

Even disregarding the revenue stream, this would be an extremely powerful recruiting tool. "Come to Texas, where you can be on TV every single week."

So, the question is: could the Nebraska fan base support the same type of network?

Calling Mr. Buffett, calling Mr. Buffett.....

OSU has Pickens, why not?

would be nice wouldn't it if mr. buffet steps up...i could be wrong but i don't think or remember that he's ever donated anything to nu...you'd think with all that money that he would donate some to his home stae school but don't think he's ever donate a penny to nu...greedy stubborn old fart

he donates to other charitys, like elementary schools, or you know foundations for helping children out, not the univeristy which he feels can sustain on it's own.

Stupid idea....how many games this year have been televised for us? This is not needed IMHO. All this is, is a way for someone to make more money...they are on the way to making every game a ppv event. The games would probably only be shown regionally, which means that Husker fans in other parts of the country would not have access.

Having a "Nebraska Sports Channel" - bad idea...unless someone comes along and explains how it would be viable, affordable, and accessible to everyone that is a Husker fan, no matter where they live, or what cable or satellite provider they have. I don't believe it can be done to where it would be affordable to most people. I am amazed that they are able to do as many ppv games as they do and still make a profit. I am not rich by any means, but I am not dirt poor either, but I go to the local drinking establishment that is showing the ppv events in order to view them or listen to the game on satellite radio when I am on the road...but I am also rather frugal.

When I was a kid, most games were not on TV, you either listened to the radio or was lucky enough to get a ticket. When the games were on TV, they were free to everyone in the state, and advertisers paid the bill (and even with ppv events - they are still making money from advertisers because the advertisements have not gone away). Nebraska football was also the only thing we really had those days, but today there are a lot of other things to put your time and money towards for people. I think that is why we are seeing a trend where they fans are not as loyal or knowledgeable as they were once. Look what Major League Baseball is doing...look at their attendance at their games on average, it is getting worse with each passing year, because of their greed - and in the smaller markets, they can't even get a television contract, therefore they have no talent and are not competitive. The bigger markets are the only ones that thrive. If the NCAA is not careful, or the Big 12 for that matter, they will do the same thing to themselves. And recovering will not be easy once you lose the fan base. The bigger schools will control the television markets, and get the better recruits because they will want "face time" on television. The NCAA has tried to bring about parity by reducing the number of scholarships available, if they are not careful, they will go backwards in attaining this goal of parity because of schools or even conferences that have their own television contracts.

I think the NCAA is on a slippery slope when it comes to PPV games. Once they head down that slope, it is going to be really hard to turn back.

Stupid idea....how many games this year have been televised for us? This is not needed IMHO. All this is, is a way for someone to make more money...they are on the way to making every game a ppv event. The games would probably only be shown regionally, which means that Husker fans in other parts of the country would not have access.

Having a "Nebraska Sports Channel" - bad idea...unless someone comes along and explains how it would be viable, affordable, and accessible to everyone that is a Husker fan, no matter where they live, or what cable or satellite provider they have. I don't believe it can be done to where it would be affordable to most people. I am amazed that they are able to do as many ppv games as they do and still make a profit. I am not rich by any means, but I am not dirt poor either, but I go to the local drinking establishment that is showing the ppv events in order to view them or listen to the game on satellite radio when I am on the road...but I am also rather frugal.

When I was a kid, most games were not on TV, you either listened to the radio or was lucky enough to get a ticket. When the games were on TV, they were free to everyone in the state, and advertisers paid the bill (and even with ppv events - they are still making money from advertisers because the advertisements have not gone away). Nebraska football was also the only thing we really had those days, but today there are a lot of other things to put your time and money towards for people. I think that is why we are seeing a trend where they fans are not as loyal or knowledgeable as they were once. Look what Major League Baseball is doing...look at their attendance at their games on average, it is getting worse with each passing year, because of their greed - and in the smaller markets, they can't even get a television contract, therefore they have no talent and are not competitive. The bigger markets are the only ones that thrive. If the NCAA is not careful, or the Big 12 for that matter, they will do the same thing to themselves. And recovering will not be easy once you lose the fan base. The bigger schools will control the television markets, and get the better recruits because they will want "face time" on television. The NCAA has tried to bring about parity by reducing the number of scholarships available, if they are not careful, they will go backwards in attaining this goal of parity because of schools or even conferences that have their own television contracts.

I think the NCAA is on a slippery slope when it comes to PPV games. Once they head down that slope, it is going to be really hard to turn back.

While I agree with your sentiments about the National availability, mostly because I am stuck on the East Coast, I don't understand how you can say that about baseball? The attendance had risen for 4 straight years, 2004-2007, last year was the first drop. Below are the attendance figures for the past 6 years. Revenues are up all over baseball. Only now in this economy are teams starting to re-evaluate what they are paying the players. Contract records have been set each year until now.

Year: 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008

Total Att: 67,630,052 72,968,953 74,385,295 75,959,167 79,447,312 78,584,286

5,338,901 1,416,342 1,573,872 3,488,145 -863,026

7.894% 1.941% 2.116% 4.592% -1.086%

Baseball has proven that local tv market deals bring more interest not less.