more bowl news

np_husker

Big 12 Football Ratings: Bowl pull? Irish have it over NU

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

The first rule when checking into football bowl possibilities is to rarely believe any on-the-record statement from someone wearing a bright-colored blazer.

These bowl representatives are super people, but they major in smokescreens and minor in obfuscation. In public, they play poker to try to keep other bowls in the dark about their real targets.

Which leads us to the chatter about the Gator Bowl courting Nebraska.

While bowl folks don't show their cards face to face, off to the side there is plenty of educated speculation. In the past two weeks, I've had the chance to sit down with the two men in the business I respect the most after covering 34 bowl games at 12 sites.

Here's what they say:

Hardly anyone in the bowl community believes that the Gator Bowl will turn down a 7-5 Notre Dame in favor of an 8-4 Nebraska on the theory that "Notre Dame will probably be available next year, too."

Bowl people who base decisions on something happening next year often find themselves in this year's unemployment lines.

Does that mean Nebraska won't end up in Jacksonville, Fla.? You never say never.

But the Gator Bowl — without the TV draw of Notre Dame — would need butts in the seats, especially after last year's Texas Tech-Virginia game.

That contest had the No. 39 attendance in the bowl's 63-year history. The announced crowd of 60,243 was 17,000 short of capacity.

How many Nebraskans, excited about a bowl but facing tough economic times, will pay the always-high airfares to Florida?

That makes the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas, a more likely Husker destination. One of my bowl buddies, speaking on background, said: "Enjoy the trip to El Paso. Those people down there do a great, great job, and I mean that sincerely."

Again, this is all speculation. But the early lineup for Big 12 bowls, barring Missouri upsetting the South Division champion in the league title game and Oklahoma losing its final two games, looks something like this:

• Two BCS spots and the Cotton Bowl: Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma.

• Holiday and Alamo: Oklahoma State and Missouri.

• Sun: Nebraska.

• Insight and Independence: Kansas and, if eligible, Colorado. KU looked like an Insight lock, but the hang-up here is that Colorado went to the Independence Bowl last year. To avoid a repeat trip, CU might be the Insight pick if it beats Nebraska.

• Texas: Not filled by Big 12.

One note: Big 12 spokesman Bob Burda said Monday that the only protection offered to the loser of the Big 12 championship game is for that school to fall no lower than the Insight Bowl.

Article does make some good points. But I am still hoping for a better bowl than the Sun. I mean, when is the last time you thought during the bowl season, " I have GOT to make time for that Sun Bowl game today"

Yeah, doubt the rest of the country does either.

This years bowl could be big for recruiting, which often is'nt the case with the Hskers. For the sake of the exposure, here's hoping for The Gator!

I would rather go to the Sun Bowl...closer to home for me! But I also hate going to Florida and playing an "away" game against a Florida school. It isn't a level playing field. Bowl games are supposed to be neutral sites for the most part...the Florida Bowls are not ever neutral sites.

I don't like the way the BCS bowl system works...but I also have not figured out a fair solution to it either. Until there is a playoff, there is no just way of determining who is better than who.

I have been saying all along that we are headed to the Sun Bowl, but I haven't said I was excited about it !!!

Granted, the Gator would be awesome, and the Alamo is a friggin party, but let's look at the Sun in a "positive" light....maybe it will make me feel better..

1. It is still "geographically" in Texas (still the hot-bed of recruiting)

2. It is very close to Arizona, which we have tried to establish as a recruiting territory

- except we may play Arizona in that game

3. I have heard that the stadium is very scenic, with mountains, etc... this will make my wife happy

4. TO gets inducted into Sun Bowl HOF, and we will be there to give him the reception he deserves

5. NU is 2-0 in the Sun

6. It isn't on New Year's Day, but it is as close as you can get.....New Year's Eve

7. We can play a PAC 10 school, hopefully a "slow" one (if there is one) and beat them down

8. This is somewhere most of NU fans have not been to for a bowl game

9. Location... one would think that it should be warm....for goodness sake...it is the SUN bowl.

10. I like mexican food, but will stay on the proper side of boarder.

Now, I feel better. Let's all go celebrate New Year's Eve in El Paso with a NU victory !!

I have been saying all along that we are headed to the Sun Bowl, but I haven't said I was excited about it !!!

Granted, the Gator would be awesome, and the Alamo is a friggin party, but let's look at the Sun in a "positive" light....maybe it will make me feel better..

2. It is very close to Arizona, which we have tried to establish as a recruiting territory

3. I have heard that the stadium is very scenic, with mountains, etc... this will make my wife happy

4. TO gets inducted into Sun Bowl HOF, and we will be there to give him the reception he deserves

5. NU is 2-0 in the Sun

6. It isn't on New Year's Day, but it is as close as you can get.....New Year's Eve

7. We can play a PAC 10 school, hopefully a "slow" one (if there is one) and beat them down

9. Location... one would think that it should be warm....for goodness sake...it is the SUN bowl.

Now, I feel better. Let's all go celebrate New Year's Eve in El Paso with a NU victory !!

You talked me into it!!

5. NU is 2-0 in the Sun

Great Post :clap

5. NU is 2-0 in the Sun

Overall, it does sound like the Sun Bowl is the best fit for Big Red. I would prefer the Alamo cuz that was Bo's 1st bowl with NE and therefore it'd be cool to go back there. But I don't see how we get into that one over MO or OSU.(???)

So, is the Gator not locked into any conference affiliation or something; how would we get into that one? The only reason I wouldn't want the Gator is cuz of all the bad memories of going down there(FL) and playing MIA and FSU and getting whooped in what were essentially home games for them. But who knows, maybe we would face a southern team we matched up well against.

I don't think we will face an easy team in any of these bowls. Each should offer a good game.

So, I guess I want to go to a bowl that gives us the best chance to win, I hate to say. I just wanna hear '9-4' at the end of the year.

:yeah