Question from a Bama fan...................

Jeff1960

I have a question for you guys, and please don't think I am being disrespectful in any way. With all due respect to your current coach, why didn't you guys hire Paul Johnson? Did you consider him? I just can't imagine a guy who IMO is more PERFECT for Nebraska than Johnson. It just seems to be that he was born to be a Nebraska coach.

I have a question for you guys, and please don't think I am being disrespectful in any way. With all due respect to your current coach, why didn't you guys hire Paul Johnson? Did you consider him? I just can't imagine a guy who IMO is more PERFECT for Nebraska than Johnson. It just seems to be that he was born to be a Nebraska coach.

Defense was a wreck. Offense was great and Johnson would've had to overhaul it. Pelini did an EXCELLENT job working with an old-school Husker in '03 and reminds many of Devaney. If that ain't perfect for Neb, I don't know what is...

You guys really wanted Watson, didn't you?

Johnson was, at least briefly, considered. I don't recall which candidate it was, but rumor had it that one of them wanted to bring their entire staff and Dr. Tom was insisting that a couple of the assistants (primarily Watson) be retained.

Couple that with the fact that Nebraska's crying need was defense, Bo had worked magic in that regard before for us, and even the cost of the hires, and there you have it.

Defense was a wreck. Offense was great and Johnson would've had to overhaul it. Pelini did an EXCELLENT job working with an old-school Husker in '03 and reminds many of Devaney. If that ain't perfect for Neb, I don't know what is...

You guys really wanted Watson, didn't you?

It's hard to tell with Coach Saban. I know he talked to Coach Watson, but it is his practice to speak with a number of coaches when a position is open. I have heard that he was very high on Watson.

Johnson was, at least briefly, considered. I don't recall which candidate it was, but rumor had it that one of them wanted to bring their entire staff and Dr. Tom was insisting that a couple of the assistants (primarily Watson) be retained.

Couple that with the fact that Nebraska's crying need was defense, Bo had worked magic in that regard before for us, and even the cost of the hires, and there you have it.

I believe you are thinking of Grobe (Weak Florist)...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Grobe that would have insisted on bringing his entire staff. Johnson was considered, supposedly, but like others have said, the defense was the driving factor in the decision. I'm still not too sure that any coaches other than Bo were under serious consideration during the process, though. Frankly, I'm happy that we didn't get Paul Johnson. I'm pretty fond of the direction our offense has been going. I get as nostalgic as anyone for the ground game glory days, but it's OK with me to leave it in the past.

I'm not that impressed by GT's performance this year anyway. They've underperformed against some mediocre to bad teams. Their losses have been to mediocre teams, with the possible exception of UNC. Their most impressive win came tonight against an overrated Miami team. Georgia is going to demolish them next week.

Watching the game tonight did make me want to drive to Atlanta for a visit to The Varsity, though.

As with a lot of possible coaches, there were a fair amount of people that would have liked to see him hired. I guess Coach Osbourne didn't feel that way..

Who's Coach Osbourne? Ozzy???

ozzy-osbourne-300x400.jpg

At least he would have gone for 2. Dammit!!!

:lol:

Damnit! I don't know why I typed that.

I think ONE of the deciding factors in Watson not wanting to leave NU to go coach for Saban as his OC because the man is a SLAVEDRIVER. Gary Barnett on one of the Big 12 round ups more then hinted at the scenario. I suspect Saban may have high staff turnover due to fact.

offense was not nebraska's problem: it was the porous 'slap and tickle' big 10 defense that kevin cosgrove installed that got callahan fired.

pelini's pedigree is in defense. it's what needed to be fixed first and bo was the man. additionally, he already had a following in-state from back when he was the DC in '03.

nebraska has been having bogasms since last december after osborne made the hire. it doesn't look like they'll end any time soon.

me? i thought johnson was going to go to nebraska, but i'm not sure he really would have wanted to come to the midwest especially when the georgia tech job came open. johson originally coached at georgia southern and i'm thinking he prefers the south.

but no two ways about it though, johnson is a hell of a coach. he took navy and turned them into a credible football threat for the first time in nearly a generation. that's pretty much all you have to say to sum up his coaching skills.

There is also that with the current state of the Big 12, a team that cant pass when it needs to is going to be dead in the water. Teams like OU, TT, MU and UT are going to score. GT threw less than 10 passes in last nights game. I honestly dont feel that that little passing will get it done vs the Big 12 offenses

Yeah in the current B12 environment you have to be able to play from behind, The option game is extremely difficult to stop if run correctly but it doesn't really allow you to come back in games if you get down by 14+ early.

Even saying that, we had four real options for the position, Bo Pelini, Turner Gill, Jim Grobe or Paul Johnson, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.. We ended up taking Bo, but really I don't think we could have made a bad choice with any of them.

He was considered and I do not know who backed off Johnson or NU. In any event Johnson was my personal overwhelming favoraite for the NU coach. He would have been great. Bo is looking pretty good too --- so, apart from some of his antics that I hope are going away, I feel we got a good coach. Johnson, however is a great coach.

offense was not nebraska's problem: it was the porous 'slap and tickle' big 10 defense that kevin cosgrove installed that got callahan fired.

Offense was and still might be the problem. Name a top 25 team that this offense has gone up against and proven that it is good? (Try not to name teams where the other team was so far ahead that it didn't matter if Nu scored. IE Oklahoma, Missery last two years, Oklahoma St) Other then Texas Tech Nebraska is in the same boat Kansas was last year where they only beat bad teams and were beaten by the only good team they played (Missery)

Why some of those losses were because of defense, some were also caused by turnovers Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma, and on and on and on.