Gator Bowl opponent disappointment

C N Red

I'm not dissapointed at all. Clemson is a solid program, they are in the Gator bowl because they deserve it more than FSU does. I mean seriously, back in September how many of us honestly thought we'd be playing in the Gator bowl on New Years Day in Bo's first year?

Clemson is qoing to show up, and we had better be ready for them.

:yeah

Beggers cant be choosers. Clemson will be a difficult game and we are going to have to play one of our best games of the year to get a win. All of you talking about how much better a win over FSU would be for the program are forgetting one thing.......What happens if we get our asses kick ala OU, MU games? That would look real cute on NYD. Just because we are going to a bowl doesnt mean we are going to win.

Clemson had a presser. Big 12 team (NU) won't be announced until sunday after the CCG, Conference won't allow it...which makes me wonder if one of the bowls ahead in picking order is planning on getting NU (alamo)

The Gator picks ahead of the Alamo, assuming they want a Big 12 team. The bowls ahead of the Gator are the Cotton and the Holiday and they will take TT and whichever is the odd-man out of UT, OU, and MU, unless they decide to pick NU or Ok St.

The only reason I can see why the Big12 won't allow an announcement of NU in the Gator is because the bowls ahead of the Gator want to reserve their right to take us.

I think the refusal to announce is in case MU comes out and just gets blown out of the stadium in the CCG or if they have key injuries that knock players out of bowl season. In that case, maybe the Holiday or Cotton would take us over MU Ok St. The Cotton isn't necessarily locked in to the CCG loser, as far as I know, and if either the Cotton or Holiday thought NU was a better draw, they have the right to take whoever they want.

I gotta say, the more I sit here and think about this, the more I suspect the Holiday is considering picking us over Ok St and MU, if MU looks really bad in the CCG.

If MU somehow won, that would put OU and TT in the Cotton and Holiday, and the Gator would have to decide between us and Ok St.

I'm not dissapointed at all. Clemson is a solid program, they are in the Gator bowl because they deserve it more than FSU does. I mean seriously, back in September how many of us honestly thought we'd be playing in the Gator bowl on New Years Day in Bo's first year?

Clemson is qoing to show up, and we had better be ready for them.

How exactly does Clemson deserve to be in the Gator Bowl more than Florida State? Clemson finished 7-5, Florida State finished 8-4, & Florida State beat Clemson head to head.

cuz I hate FSU :angry:

I'm fine with Clemson in the Gator Bowl. Hell, after the last four years you would be crazy not to be. I'm not saying we as fans shouldn't demand more but for the position this team is in a New Years Day bowl is a huge step. Be thankfull for what you have, damn.

:yeah Just think what this board would have been like if we hadn't made a bowl. Rumorville anyone :o:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

I'm fine with Clemson in the Gator Bowl. Hell, after the last four years you would be crazy not to be. I'm not saying we as fans shouldn't demand more but for the position this team is in a New Years Day bowl is a huge step. Be thankfull for what you have, damn.

:yeah Just think what this board would have been like if we hadn't made a bowl. Rumorville anyone :o:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

No kidding. The 'skers need to earn back the respect that we once had, nobody's going to give it to us. We were spoiled for a long time as fans and now we are seeing what it's like on the other side of the fence. But, give it time and no one will want to play us again. :box

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a little disappointed in the match-up with Clemson. I thought a game with FSU would be cool and nostalgic, but also would have been a little disappointed with them too.

I guess I was really looking forward to playing a ranked team to see where we really stand. Now, I know FSU would have been a tough matchup, and Clemson has some mojo back late in the year and will not be a cake walk, but just challenging a top 20 ranked team like Georgia Tech I think would have been great for the team.

I really think it would be neat to be ranked if we win our Bowl Game, but I wasn't so sure a win over FSU would have helped, and I don't know if a win over Clemson will either. But, I do believe if we would have beat Georgia Tech it would have gotten us that much more respect and also ranked.

It just seems, we played our guts out to get to this great New Year's Day bowl, and the match-up with Clemson seems to be a little lackluster. I heard on the radio somewhere that the Gator Bowl didn't know if they could get enough GT fans down to sell out the game and were worried so they picked a team in Clemson they knew would travel well. First off, if GT wouldn't sell it out, the rest of the tix would be picked up by skers fans no problem, and secondly, GT is a ridiculously short drive to JAX. I don't think getting GT fans to the game would have been a problem. Anyways, JMO.

I guess your fairly young because if you knew WTF happened last time we played clemson you would be out for F**KING BLOOD. I was 11 years old in 82 and I'm still pissed off about that game. ALL SEASON LONG THE REFS WERE AGAINST NEBRASKA!!!!!!!!!

Okay.........I don't know much.......but I do know that NU IS GOING TO THE GATOR BOWL.......HANDS-DOWN- FINAL......If I am wrong, please ban me from the board !!!!! :sarcasm

The Holiday has already officially/publicly said that NU is NOT in consideration for their bowl. They are waiting on whether or not to invite OSU if OU wins Sat. or TT is MU wins Saturday. (OU win means TT in cotton and OSU in Holiday....MU win means OU in Cotton and TT in Holiday)

The only reason the Big 12 isn't allowing teams to accept bids is to cover-face, because they are pissed that they are in the middle of a media "circus" surrounding the whole OU-Tx deal. They don't want to announce already that an 8-4 NU team will be in a higher ranked bowl than MU after MU won the North. Plus, if MU wins, they also don't want to announce already that NU will be in a better bowl than OSU (a south "darling")

No other bowl is considering NU, and this match up is about as official as you get. The Big 12 is "pouting" and they are just "pulling" rank here.

:boxosoap

And Clemson will be a fantastic opponent. The reason I wanted FSU is that although they beat Clemson, we would probably have a better chance beating them than Clemson. I have listened to a lot of sports talk and many so-called experts believed that Clemson poses a much greater test than FSU........the reason FSU wasn't asked, because it would be about the 4th time they have played in Jacksonville in the last 11 months, and when they played there earlier this season, the attendance was around 40,000. Clemson hasn't been there for a long time, and the last time they sold the place out (or close)..... it's all about $$$$$, hence NU getting the bid over MU or potentially OSU.

I cannot believe how some of you are reacting about our bowl matchup! Clemson is a respectable opponent who matches up with Nebraska in many ways. They are a tradition rich program with great fans who travel well.

Given what our program has experience in the last 4 years, I would think that we'd welcome ANY bowl opportunity! Just what type of pedestal do you people think an unranked, 8-4 Husker team that hasn't been relevant for nearly a decade, should be placed on?! We are in no position to judge a bowl opponent as inferior.