Big 12 Bowl Gifts

Big 12 teams poised for a booty of bowl gifts

Proponents of a playoff system like to talk about how abused that college football players are, serving as the unpaid participants in a multi-million dollar revenue sources for college athletic departments.

All of that is true. But bowl participants do receive a little extra. It's become a race to see which bowl provides the best gifts to its participating teams each season. The NCAA allows up to $500 to 125 participants.

The Sports Business Journal provided an extensive list of every bowl and their respective gifts. Here's what Big 12 teams have to look forward to when they arrive at their bowl games.

Missouri: Valero Alamo Bowl -- Sony 80-gigabyte PS3 system with game, Fossil watch.

Oklahoma State: Pacific Life Holiday Bowl -- ESPN Insignia LCD 19-inch HDTV/DVD, Tourneau watch, Sport-Tek hooded sweatshirt, $45 Best Buy gift card

Kansas: Insight Bowl -- Vizio 26-inch LCD HDTV, Bulova watch, hat.

Texas Tech: AT&T Cotton Bowl -- Watch. I've got to believe the organizers at the Cotton Bowl, one of the best-run bowls around have got more than that for players than that. But that's what the Sports Business Journal has listed. I'm sure it won't necessarily be a lump of coal, or anything like that.

Nebraska: Konica Minolta Gator Bowl -- Bulova watch, Jostens ring, Oakley Split Thump MP3 sunglasses, fitted cap, two-piece Mercury luggage rolling duffel and sling bag.

Texas: Tostitos Fiesta Bowl -- Fox Myvu personal media viewer, Apple iPod Nano, Kenneth Cole watch, hat

Oklahoma: FedEx BCS National Championship Game -- Fox gifting suite; $300 in Sony Electronics, Tourneau watch, New Era 59fifty Hat, Crocs shoes, Ogio duffle bag

Sony 80-gigabyte PS3 system with game, Fossil watch.

No way is this under $500.

Well you have to assume that they probably bought an excess of 170+ PS3's and watches for everyone involved, and I'm sure buying such large numbers directly from the manufacturers would probably warrant a discount? At any rate, 80g PS3 with game is $500 retail, and there are a majority of Fossil watches that sell right around $100, so it would only have to be a $100 discount collectively. Doesn't seem too farfetched.

Well you have to assume that they probably bought an excess of 170+ PS3's and watches for everyone involved, and I'm sure buying such large numbers directly from the manufacturers would probably warrant a discount? At any rate, 80g PS3 with game is $500 retail, and there are a majority of Fossil watches that sell right around $100, so it would only have to be a $100 discount collectively. Doesn't seem too farfetched.

Err....... 80 gig PS3 not that expensive anymore.

Err....... 80 gig PS3 not that expensive anymore.

Right. I was basing my assumptions off the MGS4 bundle for $500 and the Uncharted bundle for $500 (forgot that was a 160g, not 80). But the PS3 by itself retail plus a game seperate is $459 + tax, which makes even more sense. Still, they would need some kind of group discount from either sony or fossil for it to actually be under $500.

wow....this is sweet schwag and all, and yes, SOME of them are getting a free college education (we started what, 6 walk-ons on the d alone this year?), but you cant tell me this even begins to make it gossip worthy . i guess we dont have a playoff because the players are concerned about losing their $500 schwag bags? puhlease.