Henery on Pelini's mind for scholarship

uh, didn't he delete the walkon program?

No - he reduced the numbers, and possibly made the walk-ons feel unappreciated, but he never killed the program.

And DaveH was being sarcastic, as Callahan awarded at least one walk-on a scholarship, as I recall (although I can't recall who).

Dane Todd, I think it was.

Many walk-ons received scholarships from Callahan. Dane Todd and TJ O'Leary are two examples that I can think of off the top of my head.

uote]

Dane Todd, I think it was.

Many walk-ons received scholarships from Callahan. Dane Todd and TJ O'Leary are two examples that I can think of off the top of my head.

Dane Todd was a 2002 scholarship recruit.

On the field goal vs CU, I believe the snapper, T.J. O'Leary, holder Jake Wesch, and the kicker Alex Henery all came to NU as walk-ons.

post-4426-1229359329.png

So did all the Makovickas get put on scholarship? :dunno They started right?

There are limited numbers of scholarships, and if a guy is willing to take one for the team, you let him do it. I don't know if that is the situation here, but another reason for the success of the walk on program is getting some of the more talented local guys to pay their own way opening spots for other guys who couldn't.

Regardless, I'm sure Bo will do what's best for the program, but this isn't a no brainer.

So did all the Makovickas get put on scholarship? :dunno They started right?

There are limited numbers of scholarships, and if a guy is willing to take one for the team, you let him do it. I don't know if that is the situation here, but another reason for the success of the walk on program is getting some of the more talented local guys to pay their own way opening spots for other guys who couldn't.

Regardless, I'm sure Bo will do what's best for the program, but this isn't a no brainer.

You know what, I don't necessarily think that Jeff and Joel did, not because of lack of contribution. I once heard that the family insisted that their scholarship go to a player who needed it. This could be a complete farce. If it is true I would assume the same holds true for Justin and Jordan.

If that isn't the case, both would have earned scholarships by there sophomore or junior season.

There are many walk-on's that were given scholarships under Callahan. The problem is that it's only 1 year removed from him and the myth that he eliminated the walk-on program is already in full force. Awesome.

Is this really Dave or did Billy C swipe your username and password again?

:sarcasm

:)

Nope, just a guy who wants to remind everyone of the truth. :dunno

There are many walk-on's that were given scholarships under Callahan. The problem is that it's only 1 year removed from him and the myth that he eliminated the walk-on program is already in full force. Awesome.

the truth that the # of walk-ons in the program and the success of the team seemed to be directly correlated? :dunno

really now.

bring back some year-by-year statistics and calculate the correlation and i'll believe you.

show me where i can find exact numbers of walk-on players year by year and i'll go ahead and do that for you.

BUT

we were 27-22 under Callahan and the "reduced walk-on program"

yet we were 38-14 in the 4 years before Callahan, with our normal walk-on program...

Not to mention many say the best years of the program were under Osborne... well, he took more walk-on players than did solich. and cally even less than solich.

Coincidence? one could argue that, i really don't see it. and if you look at how the other schools around the state performed, i think it becomes pretty apparent that there is some correlation there... Even the coaches at other Nebraska colleges think so....LINK

This is what you're saying:

Since

Osborne's walk-ons > Solich's walk-ons > Callahan's walk-ons

and

Osborne's W-L > Solich's W-L > Callahan's W-L

Therefore "# of walk-ons is directly correlated to success."

No, I think it's just that Osborne was a fantastic coach and built a great program, of which walk-ons were a part; Solich carried over some of that success, and Callahan brought in a new offense and didn't fit in here.

I think the impression that came out of the Callahan camp was that walkons were a nuisance.

My Nephew was being recruited as a Walk-on pretty hard by NU under Solich..He was a Husker fan all his life even though he was born in Mesa, AZ. (My Brother was a grad of UNL and would've been able to get him in-state tuition and ended up un-retiring to pay for a private college).

A Two year starting I-Back at the second largest school in the state with a 3.7 GPA and a 4.3-40, but preferred running over defenders than around them..Fumbled only once in two years..

As a Sr., Rushed for 899 yards while also starting at OLB the last 4 games...Was the team Punter and leading kick returner (3 for TD's)...Had gone to three Summer camps in Lincoln.

After the coaching change, was basically told he might want to look at some smaller schools because he hadn't caught many passes..

No, I'm not bitter :angry:

the truth that the # of walk-ons in the program and the success of the team seemed to be directly correlated? :dunno

No. That's debatable at best. You can't use the word "truth" in the same sentence you use the word "seemed"

The truth is that more than one or two walk-on students received scholarships under Callahan.