Stability Among the Big 12 North

I think its a great idea. Youve got all these new guys in here so why not give them a year to learn the ins & outs of the system w/o losing a yr of eligibility. These guys are come out prepared to dominate & be the leaders of this team in a couple years. I do agree that its probably not the preferred method to use for all the years to come, but for the first year w the new staff, I think its brilliant. If you think about it, we only used 3 true freshman this year so basically, we start next year off w 2 recruiting classes.

Pelini's establishing longevity. He's playing for the future, not the present. I don't think we'll see this every year, but for his first year in, to lay the groundwork for the program he envisions, this strikes me as a smart move. Get as many kids physically ready to play at the D-1 level, and then slowly but surely leak them onto the field on Saturday. Now we have 50 guys who are a year into Dobson's training program, a year into Pelini's scheme or Watson's playbook, practicing with other D1 athletes, and with four full years of playing time ahead of them.

I guess I don't see the downside, unless we have Reggie Bush on our depth chart and nobody knows it yet.

He has hit it on the head!!!! Stronger (I've heard Dobson is Driven!!), faster, learn Pelini's D, learn Pelini's technics, Watson playbook. Another thing that will help will be Maturity!

I would think that the number of walk-ons we have taken this year has contributed to the number of redshirts.

ill play devils advocate here and say the walk ons this year (you have to realize that these are not freshman walkons) have contributed because the "solid recruits" weve had werent all the former staff and ranking services made them out to be. sure, an injury or two here or there led to a walkon having to step up. but when you have 6-7 walk ons on the d alone making an enormous contribution, its amazing we accomplished anything, right? :sarcasm

Reading the article on Husker Extra they say that Nebraska had 50 redshirts this year. The most in the country! Anyone know about how many teams usually redshirt! Having that large number of redshirt freshman next year has to be a huge advantage for the team next year.

See article HERE

Is there a list of the 50 redshirt frosh?

I'm interested to see what Collins Okafor brings to the table next yr.

I would think that the number of walk-ons we have taken this year has contributed to the number of redshirts.

ill play devils advocate here and say the walk ons this year (you have to realize that these are not freshman walkons) have contributed because the "solid recruits" weve had werent all the former staff and ranking services made them out to be. sure, an injury or two here or there led to a walkon having to step up. but when you have 6-7 walk ons on the d alone making an enormous contribution, its amazing we accomplished anything, right? :sarcasm

I don't think this is the case. Most indications coming out of practices are that several of the redshirted freshmen are studs and are killing it in practice. The team should be much more talented in many areas than this year, younger as well. As most have said in this thread, I think Bo is building for the future. He came in and figured he could win enough games this year to get to a good bowl game without having to use the incoming freshmen too much. The team is thin no doubt, his target is to be really good in 2-3 years and sustain it. Would be hard without building the depth that allows a team to simply reload vs. rebuild. Bo took a risk and right now it appears that it is paying off.

----Edit----

As far as the number of redshirts being walkons, I think about half are scholly players. Only 3 true freshmen scholarship players did not redshirt this year. I am not sure of the exact number, someone help here?, but I thought that was around 24-25 scholarship freshmen redshirted this year.

Reading the article on Husker Extra they say that Nebraska had 50 redshirts this year. The most in the country! Anyone know about how many teams usually redshirt! Having that large number of redshirt freshman next year has to be a huge advantage for the team next year.

See article HERE

2 years from now it will help. The commits are speedy and can play DB, LB and DL and TE. Gotta get speed onto field Paul and Guyleyen need to be on the field at WR, RB or DBs. continue to SIMPLIFY the offense, plays are still to long and prevents freshmen from playing early on offense.

See article HERE

2 years from now it will help. The commits are speedy and can play DB, LB and DL and TE. Gotta get speed onto field Paul and Guyleyen need to be on the field at WR, RB or DBs. continue to SIMPLIFY the offense, plays are still to long and prevents freshmen from playing early on offense.