Cy, Turner Gill & Coaching Speculation

First...I'm putting this here because I like to see how quickly you moderators can react before sending my threads off to the dead-zone which is the rest of the board. So far you've had some pretty quick reaction times! I'm impressed. Hopefully, by throwing Turner Gill's name into the title you will be momentarily confused...

In the spirit of last years Nebraska head coach search, I offer some speculation about the newly vacated HC job at Iowa State for comparison & contrast

First, contrary to popular belief, there are some very valid reasons that ISU would be a good place to consider for any HC. First, we have $750,000 (courtesy of Auburn) of extra money laying around to add to what would probably be the $1.2 million dollars that Chizek was getting in pay and incentives. A salary of approximately $1.5 million annually compared to the $250,000 that Turner Gill gets every year is going to look pretty attractive. Second…ISU does have a nucleus of talented AND experienced young players coming back next year. Considering that 14 Freshmen and Sophomores started last year, a new HC would have a lot of people who already have Big 12 on-the-field experience…especially in the skill positions like QB, RB and WR. Third, like it or not, for a team that has shown as little success over the years as the Cyclones, ISU has one of the most loyal fan bases in the entire country. When you can have a team with a record of 2-10 still putting 50,000 people into a stadium in November, you know you have the backing of a loyal fan base. Finally, any HC worth his salt loves a challenge. Turning ISU into a winner is the ultimate challenge. A HC who could come into Ames and do that could write his ticket to be HC for any D-1 school in the world….

Reasons not to come to ISU are obvious…the program has no tradition, the weather is lousy, and Athletic Department budget is miniscule and it’s almost impossible to recruit big-time players to a team that is consistently bad. Taking these things as a given, here is a list of coaches ISU is looking at, coaches who would realistically take the job, and Cy’s choices on who to offer the job to:

ISU Most Favorable Choices – I would call them all long shots by dreamers

Turner Gill – Buffalo – Turner is on or at the top of the list of fans and boosters. He took a bad team and turned it into a decent MAC contender. Lots of enthusiasm around ISU for Gill. I think he’s a long shot but…the money, a chance to get back to the Big-12 and also a chance to stick Auburn’s decision up their ass might help him take the plunge.

Gary Patterson – TCU – Attractive choice here but, probably not a realistic one for Iowa State. Patterson has a pretty good deal going where he is right now and plays enough B-12 teams each year to show he doesn’t have anything to prove actually being a coach here.

Todd Graham – Tulsa – Based on last season alone, Graham might appear to be a good choice but I think the ISU boosters and fans are looking for someone a bit more flashy. Doesn’t matter much since Graham has indicated he’s pretty happy where he is.

Chris Peterson – Boise State – No chance at Peterson. He’s perfectly happy up there being the kind of Idaho and playing on his blue field. Iowa State doesn’t really have much here to tempt him away from a program he built himself.

Cy’s Out of the Box Coaching Considerations

Mike Stoops – Arizona – This would be a good choice for ISU and for Stoops (who was lucky to beat ASU this year or he would already be out at Arizona). Arizona is not a football school and Stoops would bring a lot of publicity his/ISU’s way joining the Big 12 where he could go up against Bobby once in a while.

Skip Holtz – East Carolina – Having Skip as your HC means you get publicity up the butt from his old man, which also means any game, no matter how pathetic, is going to get some TV time from Lou. ISU would become the ESPN Highlight Of The Week…EVERY week. Aside from that, Skip has done a pretty decent job with East Carolina. He’s managed to build it into kind of a hidden surprise down there in ACC country.

Frank Solich – Ohio – Okay, Frank hasn’t had a huge string of success but what ISU coach ever has? He’s a well-known name in the area and he used to be a pretty decent recruiter. Might be too hard-nosed for Jamie Pollard though…probably kick his ass. He has some of the advantages of Gill but, the best thing about Frank is we wouldn’t need to pay him as much.

Cy’s REALLY Out of the Box Coaching Choices:

Mel Tjeerdsma – Northwest Missouri State University – Come on Pollard. This guy has taken the Bearcats to the NA, uh…whatever it is they call their D-II Championship game for three or four straight years. He’s won more games at D-II than Chizek has won in his entire career. It’s time somebody gave this guy his shot at the big time. He’d lock up the fertile football grounds of NW Missouri/SW Iowa for recruits forever!

Gary Swenson – Valley High School – Again, Pollard, right here in your backyard is located the winningest Iowa high school football coach ever. Hate the guy personally, but have to admit that he knows how to win. Wouldn’t be surprised if a Swenson coached Valley team could have handily defeated any Chizek led ISU team.

Me personally – I would take Tjeerdsma. I’ve watched his teams play and, frankly, he gets a lot of things done without a lot of talent. Something a new coach at ISU is going to have to be good at. Feel Good Story of the Year!

What ISU alumn do we get to go off on ISU when Gill isn't named ISU coach because he's black? The Auburn gig is a head scratcher. It wasn't like Gill was the only respectable coach they interviewed. I'm not too surprised he wasn't chosen for the job at Auburn. However, I'm still shocked that they chose Chizek. What about Ball State's coach? Is he someone ISU might be interested in interviewing?

What ISU alumn do we get to go off on ISU when Gill isn't named ISU coach because he's black? The Auburn gig is a head scratcher. It wasn't like Gill was the only respectable coach they interviewed. I'm not too surprised he wasn't chosen for the job at Auburn. However, I'm still shocked that they chose Chizek. What about Ball State's coach? Is he someone ISU might be interested in interviewing?

Seneca Wallace maybe?

First...I'm putting this here because I like to see how quickly you moderators can react before sending my threads off to the dead-zone which is the rest of the board. So far you've had some pretty quick reaction times! I'm impressed. Hopefully, by throwing Turner Gill's name into the title you will be momentarily confused...

In the spirit of last years Nebraska head coach search, I offer some speculation about the newly vacated HC job at Iowa State for comparison & contrast

First, contrary to popular belief, there are some very valid reasons that ISU would be a good place to consider for any HC. First, we have $750,000 (courtesy of Auburn) of extra money laying around to add to what would probably be the $1.2 million dollars that Chizek was getting in pay and incentives. A salary of approximately $1.5 million annually compared to the $250,000 that Turner Gill gets every year is going to look pretty attractive. Second…ISU does have a nucleus of talented AND experienced young players coming back next year. Considering that 14 Freshmen and Sophomores started last year, a new HC would have a lot of people who already have Big 12 on-the-field experience…especially in the skill positions like QB, RB and WR. Third, like it or not, for a team that has shown as little success over the years as the Cyclones, ISU has one of the most loyal fan bases in the entire country. When you can have a team with a record of 2-10 still putting 50,000 people into a stadium in November, you know you have the backing of a loyal fan base. Finally, any HC worth his salt loves a challenge. Turning ISU into a winner is the ultimate challenge. A HC who could come into Ames and do that could write his ticket to be HC for any D-1 school in the world….

Reasons not to come to ISU are obvious…the program has no tradition, the weather is lousy, and Athletic Department budget is miniscule and it’s almost impossible to recruit big-time players to a team that is consistently bad. Taking these things as a given, here is a list of coaches ISU is looking at, coaches who would realistically take the job, and Cy’s choices on who to offer the job to:

ISU Most Favorable Choices – I would call them all long shots by dreamers

Turner Gill – Buffalo – Turner is on or at the top of the list of fans and boosters. He took a bad team and turned it into a decent MAC contender. Lots of enthusiasm around ISU for Gill. I think he’s a long shot but…the money, a chance to get back to the Big-12 and also a chance to stick Auburn’s decision up their ass might help him take the plunge.

Gary Patterson – TCU – Attractive choice here but, probably not a realistic one for Iowa State. Patterson has a pretty good deal going where he is right now and plays enough B-12 teams each year to show he doesn’t have anything to prove actually being a coach here.

Todd Graham – Tulsa – Based on last season alone, Graham might appear to be a good choice but I think the ISU boosters and fans are looking for someone a bit more flashy. Doesn’t matter much since Graham has indicated he’s pretty happy where he is.

Chris Peterson – Boise State – No chance at Peterson. He’s perfectly happy up there being the kind of Idaho and playing on his blue field. Iowa State doesn’t really have much here to tempt him away from a program he built himself.

Cy’s Out of the Box Coaching Considerations

Mike Stoops – Arizona – This would be a good choice for ISU and for Stoops (who was lucky to beat ASU this year or he would already be out at Arizona). Arizona is not a football school and Stoops would bring a lot of publicity his/ISU’s way joining the Big 12 where he could go up against Bobby once in a while.

Skip Holtz – East Carolina – Having Skip as your HC means you get publicity up the butt from his old man, which also means any game, no matter how pathetic, is going to get some TV time from Lou. ISU would become the ESPN Highlight Of The Week…EVERY week. Aside from that, Skip has done a pretty decent job with East Carolina. He’s managed to build it into kind of a hidden surprise down there in ACC country.

Frank Solich – Ohio – Okay, Frank hasn’t had a huge string of success but what ISU coach ever has? He’s a well-known name in the area and he used to be a pretty decent recruiter. Might be too hard-nosed for Jamie Pollard though…probably kick his ass. He has some of the advantages of Gill but, the best thing about Frank is we wouldn’t need to pay him as much.

Cy’s REALLY Out of the Box Coaching Choices:

Mel Tjeerdsma – Northwest Missouri State University – Come on Pollard. This guy has taken the Bearcats to the NA, uh…whatever it is they call their D-II Championship game for three or four straight years. He’s won more games at D-II than Chizek has won in his entire career. It’s time somebody gave this guy his shot at the big time. He’d lock up the fertile football grounds of NW Missouri/SW Iowa for recruits forever!

Gary Swenson – Valley High School – Again, Pollard, right here in your backyard is located the winningest Iowa high school football coach ever. Hate the guy personally, but have to admit that he knows how to win. Wouldn’t be surprised if a Swenson coached Valley team could have handily defeated any Chizek led ISU team.

Me personally – I would take Tjeerdsma. I’ve watched his teams play and, frankly, he gets a lot of things done without a lot of talent. Something a new coach at ISU is going to have to be good at. Feel Good Story of the Year!

I like your wish list, but don't see a likely candidate listed.

maybe a "golden oldie" will get the gig.

someone outside looking in.

gotta do something soon.

I'm hoping they sober Switzer up long enough to sign him.

but that ain't happenin either.

Well...now that we can cross Gill off the list, ISU fans are all turning to Patterson at TCU which just ain't gonna happen...

McCarney? Nah...Dan wouldn't come back and work under Pollard no way...no how. Anyway, we did the McCarney thing once and it only got us so far. He's a good coordinator but I don't think he'll ever make it as a real successful HC.

I forgot to add most hoped for pick...Barry Switzer. There's a lot of upside to old Barry...

Barry Switzer is my new front-runner for ISU Head Coach.