Dan Wetzel's Yahoo column....

walksalone

Have you ever seen Pat Hill in action. He nearly explodes the veins in his neck every game. He is anything but vanilla. Bo could learn from him on sideline behavior I think.

Pat Hill just gives me the heebie jeebies is all I'm saying. No way he would make it at NE, IMO. I dunno, I watch Fresno and I'm like, 'whatever'. The last few yrs were supposedly going to be their 'breakthrough' yrs, but it hasn't happened and this year they've gone backwards.

Yea, there is a bandwagon for BO, but I think it is a good one... Bo's the real deal.

So, you wouldn't hire Leavitt from South Florida because they didn't even have a friggin football program 12 years ago? That's a rediculous statement and comparison within itself! He's a hot commodity right now for good reason. He built a team from absolutely nothing. Yeah, why would any team want that?

No, I wouldn't. It's SOUTH F'N FLORIDA!?!??!? Would I hire a D coordinator from a proven national power, yes. Would I hire the flavor of the week from a unproven team that has caught fire in the past couple years, no. How is it a ridiculous statement and comparison? He built a team from nothing yes, and I said his accomplishments we're impressive, i'm just not comfortable with him running a big time program until he has multiple years of success.

I would say a MAC head coach has more responsibilities than a D Coordinator at any flippin college program in the nation. To think otherwise is foolish. A head coach is responsible for all of his cooridnators, his players, recruiting, etc. A coordinator is responsible for his side of the ball and some recruiting duties. The buck stops with the head coach. Of course they have more duties and responsibilities than a coordinator.

So Gill has way more pressure than Norm Chow or Will Muschamp? You've got to be smoking it. Those two guys have way more on their shoulders than Gill. The pressure of constantly in the Nat Championship hunt has to be absolutely crazy. Gill has to worry about the stiff competition in the MAC. Not even f'n close.

I guess you're going to have to show the the two national title teams Bo has been a D cooridnator on. I'm only aware of one.

Ok, my bad, one national title team and two national title games. Regardless, his ability to take mediocre defenses, and turn them around is visibly apparent.

[qoute]Ohio State could have hired probably any D coordinator in the world, but instead they chose Tressel. I think their decision to take a proven head coach at a lower level has worked out excellent. Wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, ask Cy about Chizik, i'm sure he'd agree...

What mediocre defense has he turned around other than in 03' at Nebraska? OU and LSU's D's were far from mediocre when he was coordinator or co-coordinator. They were winning NC long before he ever rolled into town. Chow and Muschamp may have more pressure on them in terms of fan pressure, but no they don't have more pressure on them in terms of running the team, the program, etc. Really, their pressure stems just from their side of the ball. HC gets the heat from all 3 phases of the game, not just one. I said responsibilities rather than pressure anyway.

You claim you wouldn't hire the flavor of the week but then fall all over yourself with regards to Bo. Exactly what do you call him other than a flavor of the week? He was an unknown especially to Nebraska fans until Solich brought him in in 03'. He hasn't had near the years of duty of the Stoops, etc. He essentially was a flavor of the week hire. Muschamp has a longer stint in college football than Bo. He's won the hardware. I guess I just find it ironic that you wouldn't hire a flavor of the week when we did just that. LSU's terrible defense Bo inherited came from the hands of Muschamp. Btw that terrible defense Bo inherited led the nation in scoring D and total D in 2003. He's been a hot coordinator longer than Bo was. Funny how he wasn't even mentioned when we began our coaching search. It's also funny how Bo was the only coordinator even interviewed.

bo was by far not a flavor of the week around here, are you kidding me? more like the flavor of the last 5 years. maybe to someone on the coasts, fine. but not in big 12 circles. if Bo is the flavor of the week, whats that make gill? the flavor that just fell on your face? and as far as the interviews, if TO doesnt hire Bo, can you imagine the collective freak out the husker nation has? the other interviews were perfunctory, TO kNew the right man from the start.

bo was by far not a flavor of the week around here, are you kidding me? more like the flavor of the last 5 years. maybe to someone on the coasts, fine. but not in big 12 circles. if Bo is the flavor of the week, whats that make gill? the flavor that just fell on your face? and as far as the interviews, if TO doesnt hire Bo, can you imagine the collective freak out the husker nation has? the other interviews were perfunctory, TO kNew the right man from the start.

100% :yeah

Aaand, Bo came from Green Bay back in '03. Bo got most of his experience in the pros. But the fact that two of the best programs in the country--OU and LSU--had absolutely no problem scooping BO right up when available says alot. He's not a 'flav of the week', more like one of the best guys in the biz....and a perfect fit for Big Red Nation.

What mediocre defense has he turned around other than in 03' at Nebraska? OU and LSU's D's were far from mediocre when he was coordinator or co-coordinator. They were winning NC long before he ever rolled into town. Chow and Muschamp may have more pressure on them in terms of fan pressure, but no they don't have more pressure on them in terms of running the team, the program, etc. Really, their pressure stems just from their side of the ball. HC gets the heat from all 3 phases of the game, not just one. I said responsibilities rather than pressure anyway.

You claim you wouldn't hire the flavor of the week but then fall all over yourself with regards to Bo. Exactly what do you call him other than a flavor of the week? He was an unknown especially to Nebraska fans until Solich brought him in in 03'. He hasn't had near the years of duty of the Stoops, etc. He essentially was a flavor of the week hire. Muschamp has a longer stint in college football than Bo. He's won the hardware. I guess I just find it ironic that you wouldn't hire a flavor of the week when we did just that. LSU's terrible defense Bo inherited came from the hands of Muschamp. Btw that terrible defense Bo inherited led the nation in scoring D and total D in 2003. He's been a hot coordinator longer than Bo was. Funny how he wasn't even mentioned when we began our coaching search. It's also funny how Bo was the only coordinator even interviewed.

Since you're arguing the merits of Gill....what was he at the time other than the flavor of the month? He gave Buffalo a mediocre season. Yippee. Before that he wasn't even a coordinator. And you have no idea who was interviewed or when, by the way.

There were significantly "hotter" coordinators out there that weren't even in contention for the job. Muschamp had been in the league longer and had the hardware long before Bo ever did, but you never once heard his name come up for the job here at NU. Actually, Bo was kind of the bitter sweet flavor of the week as most openings didn't really even offer an interview to him. If NU doesn't hire him, he's looking at either staying at LSU or going to a mediocre or worse team like Buffalo to start his HC tenure.

When Gill left NU, he was offered a HC gig. When Bo left NU, he was offered only a CO coordinator position from a friend from way back. To me, this pretty much tells me everything I need to know in terms of who has the better resume. Bo didn't even get a HC offer after being at OU!

I think you hit the nail on the head. TO made the "safe" hire. I think Husker nation would have freaked out if someone other than Bo was hired. Do you think Husker nation is all knowing? What if we flounder around 7-5, 8-4 seasons for the next 5 years while Gill goes to some big name college and becomes a contender right away? What do you suppose Husker nation will do then? Again, I'm glad TO hired Bo over Gill. My point is that the author did have a valid point in his article that Gill had the better resume. You basically helped me with my argument stating TO made the safe hire knowing if he didn't hire Bo Husker nation would go balistic.

Do you think Husker nation is all knowing?

What if we flounder around 7-5, 8-4 seasons for the next 5 years...

---Yes, all knowing. But that's not as important as the fact that BO KNOWS so we don't necessarily have to know so much.

--That's not going to happen. We have a good chance at 9 wins this year, we may go 7-8 wins next year with the new QB, but after that I think we'll be in the 9-10 win category on a consistent basis.

Do you think Husker nation is all knowing?

What if we flounder around 7-5, 8-4 seasons for the next 5 years...

---Yes, all knowing.

--That's not going to happen. We have a good chance at 9 wins this year, we may go 7-8 wins next year with the new QB, but after that I think we'll be in the 9-10 win category on a consistent basis.

12 games schedules and counting Big 12 game and bowl, a good program should win at least 10 games each season. 9-3 regular season, with a shot at the Big 12 title and a bowl giving you and 11-3 season or 9-5 at worst.

well yes, 9-5 is the lower end of the spectrum and we will be getting our share of 11-12(13/14?) win seasons in the not too distant future.

You do realize we fired a coach for less. Yes, he had one season with just 7 wins but followed it up with a 9/10 win season only to be fired. If within the next 2 years we are not competing for titles (I'm not talking about the crappy North title either because the North is light years behind the South) then Bo's in trouble with regards to Husker nation.

well yes, 9-5 is the lower end of the spectrum and we will be getting our share of 11-12(13/14?) win seasons in the not too distant future.

You do realize we fired a coach for less. Yes, he had one season with just 7 wins but followed it up with a 9/10 win season only to be fired. If within the next 2 years we are not competing for titles (I'm not talking about the crappy North title either because the North is light years behind the South) then Bo's in trouble with regards to Husker nation.

That last 10 win season with Frankie was with BO as the DC...

Anyway, we have a decent chance at the CCG next year, KU will be the fav going into the year, but I don't think they have enough horses to get there.

'10 onward we should be the team to beat in the north, hence CCGs, possible BCS etc.

LOL, I love how you refer to Frankie's last 10 win season was with Bo as D coordinator as if that mattered. It was Frankie's last friggin year period! He was fired during/after a 10 win season.

While Mizzou fans might be satisfied with being the team of the North, I don't think NU fans will be. If we go to two or three Big 12 title games and get our a$$es handed to us like Mizzou has, I don't think Husker faithful will be "ok" with that. If they are, then I suppose we should have kept Clownahan. I mean he got us there in 06'. The fans expect exactly what Pud promised them. We expect to be the team in the Big 12, period. Remember the "we will not surrender the conference to OU and Texass"? From 10' onward if Bo likes his job, we had better be competing for a BCS and top 10 ranking.

Well, it follows that if we are the TEAM in the North that we are going to alot of CCGs and I think we will be good enough to compete well and start winning them in 2-3 years. OU/TX are not always going to be at the apex of their 'game', and we will close the talent gap significantly. Bo's gonna 'git-r-dun'.

I know these things because I am an all knowing Husker Fan!

The chemistry that pervades the fb program now is light years superior to what was going on with Calli/Pedey and Co.

Glass half full here....