Dan Wetzel's Yahoo column....

walksalone

I read this column, then i got to the bottom, and i almost shat myself...

Link

Here's the offending portion of the column...

Or even Gill’s own Nebraska, which last year chose LSU assistant Bo Pelini over him. Pelini may prove to be a great hire, but his résumé wasn’t as strong as Gill’s. While both were former NU assistants, Pelini wasn’t an alumnus or a former star. He lacked the name recognition and head coaching experience of Gill.

Yet Pelini was determined to be the proverbial “best fit.” How could anyone be a better fit at Nebraska than the great Turner Gill?

It was a puzzling snub, Nebraska’s defense being that Gill hadn’t turned the corner at UB. He has now, but the Nebraska decision haunts him because according to the Birmingham News, Auburn is whispering that if Gill was so great, why didn’t his alma mater hire him?

And so the circle goes.

Pelini's resume, not as strong as Gill's?????

Are you f'n kidding me? Talk about pandering to the politically correct, but c'mon, at least if you're going to make a statement like that, at least have some knowledge of what you're talking about.

This is why sportswriters not associated with Nebraska should not cover Nebraska.

He obviously didn't know about the giant problems Nebraska had at defense last year, and Gill couldn't have righted the defensive woes like Pelini did. Pelini may have fewer years of general "coaching" experience, but he has been the DC at 3 major BCS schools: Nebraska, OU, and LSU. It's ridiculous to claim that Gill would have been the better choice. Gill was an "assistant" when Nebraska won 3 national titles, but Pelini was a coordinator during his dominant championship run at LSU.

Gill may have gotten a good Buffalo team to start winning, but he hasn't proven yet that he can maintain winning teams. If he tanks it next year and Buffalo goes 6-6 or worse, will there still be all this talk about Gill being the possible better hire? I don't think so.

Given Nebraska's defensive woes and lack of passion, Pelini is the obvious better choice. Gill as head coach this year? I don't see us going better then 6-6.

Link

Or even Gill’s own Nebraska, which last year chose LSU assistant Bo Pelini over him. Pelini may prove to be a great hire, but his résumé wasn’t as strong as Gill’s. While both were former NU assistants, Pelini wasn’t an alumnus or a former star. He lacked the name recognition and head coaching experience of Gill.

Yet Pelini was determined to be the proverbial “best fit.” How could anyone be a better fit at Nebraska than the great Turner Gill?

It was a puzzling snub, Nebraska’s defense being that Gill hadn’t turned the corner at UB. He has now, but the Nebraska decision haunts him because according to the Birmingham News, Auburn is whispering that if Gill was so great, why didn’t his alma mater hire him?

And so the circle goes.

Are you f'n kidding me? Talk about pandering to the politically correct, but c'mon, at least if you're going to make a statement like that, at least have some knowledge of what you're talking about.

thats a stretch at best by the author. pelini "was a better fit" not because of gill not turning the corner, but because he was a defensive guy. TO used those exact words after the hire. and gills was not nearly as good before this year. not trying to bad mouth turner...but its the truth. kind of like bo's resume wasnt nearly as good before he won the NT last year

This is why sportswriters not associated with Nebraska should not cover Nebraska.

He obviously didn't know about the giant problems Nebraska had at defense last year, and Gill couldn't have righted the defensive woes like Pelini did. Pelini may have fewer years of general "coaching" experience, but he has been the DC at 3 major BCS schools: Nebraska, OU, and LSU. It's ridiculous to claim that Gill would have been the better choice. Gill was an "assistant" when Nebraska won 3 national titles, but Pelini was a coordinator during his dominant championship run at LSU.

Gill may have gotten a good Buffalo team to start winning, but he hasn't proven yet that he can maintain winning teams. If he tanks it next year and Buffalo goes 6-6 or worse, will there still be all this talk about Gill being the possible better hire? I don't think so.

Given Nebraska's defensive woes and lack of passion, Pelini is the obvious better choice. Gill as head coach this year? I don't see us going better then 6-6.

i wouldnt go that far...... you have no idea who turner brings in as defensive coordinator. and I think its clear turner is a fine coach.

i wouldnt go that far...... you have no idea who turner brings in as defensive coordinator. and I think its clear turner is a fine coach.

i'm not saying Turner is a bad coach, and the 6-6 record might be a stretch, but clearly the Pelini hire came from a defensive standpoint. I don't think TO would risk hiring Gill as HC and wait for him to make his defensive coordinator choice. Pelini was brought in with a strong focus on defense and Pelini is a guy with proven results. Given Pelini's defensive knowledge, he is the safer choice.

Who ever he brought in at Def Coor wouldn't be of the caliber of Bo. If i were to guess I think Gill could have gotten us to 7-5.

Gill is a good coach, and once he repeats his success with Buffalo for another year or two, he'll make it to the big time. I just think he's still got a ways to go before then.

Link

And so the circle goes.

He wasn"t head coach, he didn't play for NU, Gill was a LONG time assistant, and should have been the hire, but wasn't! Unlike Solich, Gill could recruit, very well!

Who ever he brought in at Def Coor wouldn't be of the caliber of Bo. If i were to guess I think Gill could have gotten us to 7-5.

Gill is a good coach, and once he repeats his success with Buffalo for another year or two, he'll make it to the big time. I just think he's still got a ways to go before then.

He would not have beaten Tech in OT, or simplified the offense more? He got dissed, but he is earning a good HC position in the next 2-3 years!

I think the author has somewhat of a point. Let's face it when talking strictly about head coaching experience, Bo didn't have as good of resume as Gill. However, we all know that resume had little to do with the decision to hire Bo over Gill. I think TO made it clear we hired a defense first coach because this is what we needed most at this point in time.

It appears to me that he should have been writing about Auburn rather than Nebraska. I mean you have the TCU coach who is only one of two coaches to beat OU in Norman since Stoops has been there. You have the Ball State coach who has done an amazing job. And, you have Gill who has done an amazing job at Buffalo. So instead, they hire a guy who completely flopped at ISU in his only head coaching gig.