Dan Wetzel's Yahoo column....

walksalone

I don't care if he was head coach at Chadron State College. The fact of the matter is he was a head coach with all the responsibilities that come with that job for two years while Bo was an interim for one friggin game. Where he coached has no bearing. The head coach is responsible for several things coordinators and assistants are not. Experience for experience, Gill had been there done that while Bo had not. To me, this means Gill's resume was stronger for a head coaching position than Bo's. However, football coaching is just like any other job in that just because you have the better resume doesn't mean you'll get the job because the company maybe looking for something different than what you have to offer. This is what happened. We needed defense, not offense. Gill had offense to offer. We went another direction. Like I said, I'm glad TO gave the job to Bo over Gill but Gill still had the best resume with regards to a Head Coaching position.

So, if Nebraska hired a Texas High School coach, then that wouldn't make any difference to you, because where he's coached, has no bearing?

That's a ridiculous statement within itself. First of all, Buffalo just went D-1 12 years ago, and because of what Gill's done, his accomplishments are impressive. That being said, it's a much lower tier program than those in the "power conferences". He doesn't have the pressure of teams that play in the SEC or Big 12.

Now, how Gill's resume is better than Bo's is mind boggling. Are you trying to tell me that a coach in the MAC has more pressure or responsibilities than a D Coordinator in the Big 12 or the SEC?

Not too mention, look at LSU's defense now that Bo isn't there. I know they've lost a lot, but they were supposed to have one of the better front 4's in D-1.

If someone told you you could have a coach that has been a D coordinator on two national title teams, or a coach that is attempting to build a program, who are you going to take?

So, you wouldn't hire Leavitt from South Florida because they didn't even have a friggin football program 12 years ago? That's a rediculous statement and comparison within itself! He's a hot commodity right now for good reason. He built a team from absolutely nothing. Yeah, why would any team want that?

I would say a MAC head coach has more responsibilities than a D Coordinator at any flippin college program in the nation. To think otherwise is foolish. A head coach is responsible for all of his cooridnators, his players, recruiting, etc. A coordinator is responsible for his side of the ball and some recruiting duties. The buck stops with the head coach. Of course they have more duties and responsibilities than a coordinator.

I guess you're going to have to show the the two national title teams Bo has been a D cooridnator on. I'm only aware of one.

Ohio State could have hired probably any D coordinator in the world, but instead they chose Tressel. I think their decision to take a proven head coach at a lower level has worked out excellent. Wouldn't you agree?

For the last time, I wanted Bo. I didn't want Gill. However to think Bo's resume was better or even comparable to Gill's, IMO is asinine. Gill had been the head man for 2 years. He'd managed an entire team. He'd managed an entire staff. Bo had managed a D one year in Nebraska. He co-managed a D at OU. He managed a D at LSU for a couple of years. Many people came on here last year claiming Bo didn't like recruiting and wasn't good at recruiting. When was he ever responsible for recruiting to get these labels? I think he's done a pretty good job of recruiting the 09' class. Gill has turned around arguably one of the worst D1 teams. Other than the 03' NU defense, what has Bo really turned around? He never reinvented the wheel at OU or LSU as both had very good D's when he took control or co-control.

I think to imply what this writer did was unfair an inappropriate. I am glad Pellini had a good year, so it good be proven out. I do think Gill was a better hire than Chizik, but someone good will get Gill and he will get his chance next year. He should not go to an Iowa State. I think he can get a "better/easier" position to work form than that. Sorry Cy. That is assuming Buffalo is pretty good again next year, which I would think they would be...

c'mon junior.

South Florida turned itself into a legit title contender at one point last season. That's quite an accomplishment, and you know it's nothing close to where Buffalo was or is.

Yes, we know, the HC has more responsibilities than a DC or an OC. So - are the most qualified candidates for US President always the incumbent president? Nope. And yeah, sure, Tressel worked out. What's your point, really? Oklahoma could have hired any HC from the lower levels that they wanted, but they took Bob Stoops, a DC. He worked out quite well, too.

I know that Bo was your guy, but seriously: coordinators are hot coaching prospects for a reason. Having been a HC doesn't mean much for your resume, or even Tommie Frazier would have had a stronger resume than Bo. And after all, at this time last year, what was Turner but the coach of a MAC team that went 2-10 and 5-7?

c'mon junior.

South Florida turned itself into a legit title contender at one point last season. That's quite an accomplishment, and you know it's nothing close to where Buffalo was or is.

Yes, we know, the HC has more responsibilities than a DC or an OC. So - are the most qualified candidates for US President always the incumbent president? Nope. And yeah, sure, Tressel worked out. What's your point, really? Oklahoma could have hired any HC from the lower levels that they wanted, but they took Bob Stoops, a DC. He worked out quite well, too.

I know that Bo was your guy, but seriously: coordinators are hot coaching prospects for a reason. Having been a HC doesn't mean much for your resume, or even Tommie Frazier would have had a stronger resume than Bo. And after all, at this time last year, what was Turner but the coach of a MAC team that went 2-10 and 5-7?

USF was obviously overrated last year and this year, as was Ball ST toward the end. I suspect Leavitt has maybe peeked at what he'll accomplish there. I don't think he's a good enough coach nor can they recruit well enough there to really get them up with the big boys. Another perennially 7-5/8-4 team is my guess.

It really makes no difference who you wanted or who got hired. It was decided months before by other than TO. Gill never had a chance nor did Grobe or Johnson. Money made the choice. Money removed the AD and the last coach. It had nothing to do with more experience or less, black or white. Big bucks felt Bo could do the job, the job was promised and the money was spent. Done deal.

It really makes no difference who you wanted or who got hired. It was decided months before by other than TO. Gill never had a chance nor did Grobe or Johnson. Money made the choice. Money removed the AD and the last coach. It had nothing to do with more experience or less, black or white. Big bucks felt Bo could do the job, the job was promised and the money was spent. Done deal.

I think you're probably right, I remember thinking the same things once they canned Pedey and hired OZ back: 'here comes BO!'.

c'mon junior.

Everything you say is true. There are coordinators that are hot commodities which Bo was one. However, coordinators will never have a better resume to fill a head coaching vacancy when compared to "successful" head coaches looking to go somewhere else. Frazier was never a successful head coach, so no he wouldn't have a stronger resume than Bo. Let's face it, Chizek was hired more because of what he did as a coordinator than what he ever did as a head coach. Time will tell if Auburn messed up, but I'd be willing to bet they did bigtime. Coordinators don't always make good head coaches.

I agree. Just for curiosity sake, skers; do you think Gill had the better resume?

I think being the head coach is a lot more about being a manager than being a coach. Knowing how to get things done, knowing what needs to be done, and having the ability to do what you have to to accomplish the overall mission.

Gill had the experience to be our head coach I think. But Bo had the name recognition that was needed for recruiting and excitement. Turner was a great Nebraska player, but now days there are very few kids out there that had heard of him or knew anything about him. He could sell it at Buffaloe, but could he bring in the talent to Nebraska, a program considered to be on its way down.

I honestly would have preferred anyone but Pelini. That is just me. I know some of the inner circle things that happened while in San Antonio, some of the comments made to potential recruits and to those on board before he left. And some of things he did while at Oklahoma that effected this porgram. He did his best to make the proir staff fail right off the blocks, but they had the ability to do it on their own. I did not like his actions towards the program, no matter how angry he was. But that is youth, and I have grown to overlook it now.

I honestly wanted Grobe or Pat Hill. They do more with less than any coach out there. I think Turner would have been good for the Nebraska kids, but Nebraska can not survive on those alone. Pelini brought a big name to the table. He is a favorite of a very wealthy Texas booster. There was little doubt he was going to be at Nebraska one way or another. That is what I saw happening. I never thought it would but money talks gentlemen, and if you have it, you get heard. It is good to have those type of people on your side. Bo does at this time.

To answer your question I think Turner was more prepared than Bo. Experience should be a factor. But it was not in the hiring of Bo.

And some of things he did while at Oklahoma that effected this porgram. He did his best to make the proir staff fail right off the blocks, but they had the ability to do it on their own. I did not like his actions towards the program, no matter how angry he was. But that is youth, and I have grown to overlook it now.

I honestly wanted Grobe or Pat Hill.

How did he do that? Details plz.

Also, Pat Hill?! I find it hard to respond to that. That would have been an unbelievably poor choice. Yea, Fresno ST. tanked again this year and just got beat by CSU in the NM Bowl. Pat Hill is extremely overrated for those who think he's that good in the 1st place. Personally, I think he's average at best.

Grobe is great: WHERE HE's AT! Chosing him over BO would be like chosing an old Cadillac over a brand new Beemer. Wake Forest is no great shakes, they've peeked.

You honestly think Grobe or Hill would be able to take control of the North and stare down the Kings of the South: Stoops and M. Brown? Good luck with that....

I think Gill would have done fine here, just might have taken him longer to achieve success since he wasn't a hot commodity last year.

But I'm the opposite of you, I can't imagine anyone else I'd want at NE than BO(except for Gill).

When Dillard was on board we were trying to get Reggie Smith and he was silent commit. He convinced Smith to decomit and try to bring Dillard with him to Oklahoma, Blake about went nuts over it.

He was in regular contact with the Bullocks telling them they should leave early, their talents were not being used correctly and he did the same with Washington. There are numerous things that happened, that make you question his loyalty to the program, but I understand how it happened. I would rather it did not. I have personally known our last three coaches, and I have met Coach Pelini. He was a favorite of mine the first time.

But I love Nebraska, not the wins, not the titles, I love the way of life, the way we treat people, the honesty and the dedication, loyalty that was embedded in me as a young boy. I did not feel he had those traits, but I am coming around to him now.

I guess what I did not like was his lack of professionalism. But I do think he has gained quite a bit in that, but it is still there, we saw it on the sidelines this year. But again he made strides in that too. I think he wants it, he just has to learn how to do it. That is where Turner had the upper hand as far as qualifications in my mind.

I guess what I did not like was his lack of professionalism. But I do think he has gained quite a bit in that, but it is still there, we saw it on the sidelines this year. But again he made strides in that too. I think he wants it, he just has to learn how to do it. That is where Turner had the upper hand as far as qualifications in my mind.

Well, I can see that, but it looks like he's trying to grow up and shake some of the bad habits. Yea, Gill is pretty much an impeccable human being.

As I have always stated give credit where it is due. Bo has changed my mind about him. I love his fire and tennacity. I think he is a good fit so far. I had real worries about his discipline levels, but he proved me totally wrong on that.

I think he has done a little better than what I expected on the win loss side of the house, but as far as running the program, cleanly, enforcing accademic standards, dealing with problem players he has far exceeded my expectations. He is a very intelligent man. If he truly means this is his dream job, he will continue to improve in all areas, and hopefully in the win loss side that is so important to some.

Grobe has taken a proven loser to a regular player. Hill has recruited talent to the armpit of the world. He has coached up talent that was not supposed to be on the National level. Grobe has been a winner for a long time, the records did not show, but the losses and their closeness told you how good they coudl be if things went their way. But neither would have come to Nebraska is my guess. There were only a few that might have taken the job if it had been seriously offered. Most would have run the other way.

Well, you have to consider personality too and BO is absolutely perfect for our program IMO. Hill and Grobe are pretty vanilla in that regard, plus Grobe is too old to start something at NE, IMO.

The fact that they might 'run the other way', to me, says they wouldn't be the right guys at NE. BO pretty much took the tiger by the tail and hit the ground running...

Have you ever seen Pat Hill in action. He nearly explodes the veins in his neck every game. He is anything but vanilla. Bo could learn from him on sideline behavior I think.

Grobe could do the job, I have little doubt. He relates well with the kids and that is all that is important. But he does things his way and only his way, that is supposedly where he and Tom did not see eye to eye. But I know that Tom likes Coach Grobe.

We have our coach and worrying about who or what could have happened is in the past. We have to support Bo and I will do that.

I am the oddity in Nebraska football. Not an unrealistic fan. We are far and few between in Nebraska fandom. But we are out here. We just try and kick the band wagon back on course at times.