Putting things into perspective

np_husker

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with how the season ended up, but this kind of puts things into perspective...

From omaha.com blog

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10396039

In a letter mailed recently to Nebraska donors, associate athletic director Paul Meyers offered thanks for support of NU athletics over the past year. He extended wishes for a happy holiday season and reviewed some of the Huskers' top accomplishments of the past year.

Included were Nebraska's outstanding graduation rate among student-athletes, the volleyball team's appearance in another final four and this nugget:

"Our football team led by head coach Bo Pelini is preparing for a New Year's Day bowl game for the first time in years."

You mean, two years?

Remember that loss to Auburn in the Cotton Bowl, played Jan. 1, 2007?

Let's not act like Pelini and the Huskers revolutionized football this fall. Such short-sightedness is partly to blame for what got Nebraska into this substantial hole.

The coach, his staff and team deserve a load of credit for an eight-win season and Gator Bowl bid. Their improvement throughout the year was encouraging. But as the good vibes flow this month, it's easy to forget the Huskers sit one incredible effort from a sophomore place-kicker away from a different kind of December.

Even with the victory over Colorado, if Syracuse hadn't upset Notre Dame a week earlier, the Huskers' likely spot in the Sun Bowl would not have generated quite the same buzz among fans or momentum in recruiting.

Take this situation for what it is: A great opportunity at the end of a nice season. Perhaps some of this positive energy can form a base to build a team that soon contends for a Big 12 title. Next season marks the the 10-year anniversary of the Huskers' last conference crown. Another of those would warrant even more than a glowing letter from NU to its donors.

This is an interesting little nugget of truth about this season.

With the crappiness that was last year the Cotton Bowl is not on peoples minds. With the help of next years joke of a schedule and the pretty good year this year the foundation is going to be laid for hopefully the good things that are to come.

This is year 1 however not year 3.

agreed on that.. year 1 vs year 3 makes a huge difference... where the defense has gone makes a huge difference... people still would have felt good about the season even if ND beat Syracuse... people are looking at the record, defense, and how we didn't lose to any teams we were supposed to beat.. thats the major difference between this year and the past few.

another perspective is we won 8 games, could have, and possibly should have, won another game or two, have shown the will and ability to come back in the second half of games, are getting a good recruiting class together, didn't burn many redshirts, and have a coach that most people like, and think will improve as seasons go on.

I remember how excited I was after NU went to the Cotton bowl - I had very high expectations for '07. We all know what happened (can we say Okie State?). One pretty good year does not make a program turnaround. I will feel like we're on the right track if we can see improvement a few years in a row. We still had some pretty big failures this year (Missery and Sooner red). Not trying to sound too negative especially since I'm one of those husker fans who truly thinks we're going to go undefeated and win the title every year. Just trying to keep a level head...

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with how the season ended up, but this kind of puts things into perspective...

From omaha.com blog

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10396039

The coach, his staff and team deserve a load of credit for an eight-win season and Gator Bowl bid. Their improvement throughout the year was encouraging. But as the good vibes flow this month, it's easy to forget the Huskers sit one incredible effort from a sophomore place-kicker away from a different kind of December.

We were also a bad pass away from texas being in the NCS and us going to the B12 Championship. We have made great improvements this year, we could have been 10-2 right now. Or we could have been 7-5.

Very true about this only being his first year doing it compared to Cally's third year. Plus I think this Nebraska team could beat Auburn if they played in the Cotton bowl back in 07

Why is this team that almost lost to Colorado at home suddenly a juggernaut of hindsight?

Because this coach is going to see to it that "almost lost" when having things go wrong even when you are clearly the better team, will be the worst case outcome in that type of game next year.

If you are honest, Frank or Callahan never gave you that "feeling"

I remember how excited I was after NU went to the Cotton bowl - I had very high expectations for '07. We all know what happened (can we say Okie State?). One pretty good year does not make a program turnaround. I will feel like we're on the right track if we can see improvement a few years in a row. We still had some pretty big failures this year (Missery and Sooner red). Not trying to sound too negative especially since I'm one of those husker fans who truly thinks we're going to go undefeated and win the title every year. Just trying to keep a level head...

The program has definitely made a turnaround. In order to move in a different direction you have to turnaround, and we are definitely moving in a different direction than we were last year at this time. But, I get your point. We aren't back to where we all think we should be, but we're at least heading in the right direction. As far as perspective and the close games at home with CU, in Lubbock against TT, VT at home...eh, if if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. It is was it is, a win and two losses. We had a good year, we have a warehouse full of red shirts, a solid recruiting class and we will be riding the momentum of a big bowl win going into next spring. All in all, the '08 season was about as much as I could've hoped for coming into September. Just my .02.

Very true about this only being his first year doing it compared to Cally's third year. Plus I think this Nebraska team could beat Auburn if they played in the Cotton bowl back in 07

Why is this team that almost lost to Colorado at home suddenly a juggernaut of hindsight?

Because this coach is going to see to it that "almost lost" when having things go wrong even when you are clearly the better team, will be the worst case outcome in that type of game next year.

If you are honest, Frank or Callahan never gave you that "feeling"

If we're being honest, Frank Solich coached a couple good but not great Husker teams to the verge of National Championships, and Callahan's second team took Colorado behind the woodshed for a beating in Boulder, and followed up by coming from behind and beating a better Michigan team in its bowl game.

Perspective, grasshopper.

If we're being honest, Frank Solich coached a couple good but not great Husker teams to the verge of National Championships, and Callahan's second team took Colorado behind the woodshed for a beating in Boulder, and followed up by coming from behind and beating a better Michigan team in its bowl game.

Perspective, grasshopper.

Nice ones Chamberlain. Those are some great illustrations. The vision I keep seeing is in 1999 NU fumbling all over the field in Austin and D. Alexander fumbling at the goaline in the third quarter to put NU up. All those fumbles cost Frank truly a very legitimate shot at his own MNC. NU would've played FSU in that bowl game again, and I think NU pulls out the W finally this time vs. the Seminoles to make it the trifecta vs. the Florida teams. Ohhhhhhhh what could've do too us fans, players an coaches??????

Texas and all these close calls over the years over NU (yes they own us in this league), mark my words, one game in the foreseeable future I truly see a 62-36 type of beat down deal for them.

That doesn't put things in perspective, it puts things in ONE perspective. Another perspective is that we are one interception away from 9 wins and a win over a top ten team, another is that we were an offensive identity away from yet another win, going 10-2 on the season.

<_<

Well, we're also about 100 points away from being undefeated and in the National Championship game.

<_<