Any Ex-Huskers Playing in Sr. Bowl/Shrine Bowl?

Of the 20 seniors who just finished their final season of Nebraska football, only Zach Potter currently has an invitation to the NFL Combine. And only Potter, as of now, is scheduled to play in a postseason all-star game.

Potter received his invitation Monday to the NFL Combine, Feb. 20 to 26 in Indianapolis. The 6-foot-7, 280-pounder from Omaha Creighton Prep first will play in the Texas vs. The Nation All-Star Challenge on Jan. 31 in El Paso, Texas.

Both Slauson and Lucky are alternates for the East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 17.

quotes from the OWH

Five Seniors to Represent Huskers in All-Star Games

arrow_on.gifTexas vs. The Nation

arrow_on.gifEast-West Shrine Game

Five members of Nebraska's 2008 senior class will represent the Cornhuskers in all-star games during the month of January, including two in this week's East-West Shrine Game, and three more in the Jan. 31 Texas vs. The Nation contest.

I-Back Marlon Lucky and offensive guard Matt Slauson were both recently added to the East roster for the East-West Shrine Game which will be played this Saturday in Houston. The contest from Houston's Robertson Stadium will be televised by ESPN2 with kickoff set for 3 p.m. CT. The East team will be coached by Bobby Ross.

Lucky finished his Nebraska career fourth on the school's all-purpose yardage list with 4,257 career yards. He was also fourth on Nebraska's all-time receptions list with 135, including a school-record 75 in 2007, and finished with 2,393 career rushing yards. Lucky also scored 26 touchdowns in his career, including 22 rushing touchdowns.

Slauson was a fixture on the Nebraska offensive line each of the past three seasons. He made 35 career starts, including all 13 games during the 2008 campaign. Slauson helped Nebraska rank among the top 20 nationally in passing, scoring and total offense this past fall. Slauson was twice selected as a second-team All-Big 12 performer during his Nebraska career (2006, 2008).

Offensive tackle Lydon Murtha, defensive end Zach Potter and linebacker Cody Glenn will represent Nebraska in the Jan. 31 Texas vs. The Nation game in El Paso. The contest will kick off at 2 p.m. CT with television coverage provided by CBS College Sports.

Like Slauson, Murtha was a regular fixture on the Nebraska offensive line over the past four years, helping the Huskers produce record-setting offensive numbers. Murtha started 23 games in his career and was a two-time honorable-mention All-Big 12 selection.

Potter capped an outstanding Nebraska career with a highly productive senior season. The Omaha native totaled 47 tackles as a senior, including 16 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks. Potter also had seven pass breakups in 2008 and finished his career with five blocked kicks. He was an honorable-mention All-Big 12 selection each of his final two seasons at Nebraska.

Glenn spent the majority of his career at running back before switching to linebacker in the spring of 2008. The Rusk, Texas, native tallied 51 tackles and six tackles for loss in nine games in the 2008 season.

I don't see Marlon Lucky having a successful NFL career. I hope he does; I just don't see it.

I agree...but I never would have guessed Correll Buckhalter to last as long as he has. So I guess you never know.

C-Buck's career at NU set him up perfectly for the pros. Not necessarily scheme-wise, but in that he was never The Man here. He never endured 2 or 3 straight years of pounding.

Alot of NU backs who WERE the Man here entered the NFL either used up or believing their own hype.

Good to see Potter, Murtha, Slauson, Glenn and Lucky get invites.

You can bet the coaches did some campaigning for Glenn (see LB Monte Johnson in '75).

Why, though, does Cullen Harper get an invite and Ganz doesn't?

I don't think they play the Sr. Bowl anymore. I went to the site over the weekend, and they hadn't updated past 2008.

They will be playing the senior bowl on January 24 in Mobile. Rosters aren't final yet but some players (Quan Cosby I know of) have accepted invites.

T.J. O'Leary added to East-West Shrine game

Edit: sorry Husker Power...didn't see your post

Nebraska senior T.J. O'Leary has been added to the East roster for the 84th annual East-West Shrine Game set for this Saturday in Houston. O'Leary joins teammates Marlon Lucky and Matt Slauson on the East team for the game which will begin at 3 p.m. and can be seen live on ESPN2.

O'Leary has served as Nebraska's long snapper for the past three seasons, starting the final 10 games of the 2006 season and all 25 games over the past two years. O'Leary has been a key component of a highly successful Nebraska kicking game. Over the past two years, O'Leary has helped place-kicker Alex Henery connect on 26-of-29 field goal attempts, including a school-record 57-yarder against Colorado in Novemeber. O'Leary and holder Jake Wesch have also helped Henery connect on 101-of-102 career PAT attempts.

An Omaha native, O'Leary also handled the snapping chores for Nebraska punter Dan Titchener, who finished his career with 55 punts downed inside the opposition's 20-yard line. O'Leary began his collegiate career at New Mexico State before transferring to Nebraska for the 2005 season.

O'Leary was added to the roster late Tuesday and was traveling to Houston on Wednesday where he will join his team for practice.