Marlon Lucky's career

From the stories I've read it sounded like Lucky had a tough time with the whole college life. I'm sure part of that was the football expectations he had coming in.

I wish him the best and thank him for giving his all the last couple of seasons. Does he end up being another Buckhalter? Decent at NU (behind Dan the fullback Alexander) but very solid in the NFL.

I don't agree with the assumption that "a career under Pelini would have made him a Husker great". As far as the offense is concerned, we have no idea how great some of our players may become. We can expect some defense trophy award winners, but the offense still needs to prove itself.

As far as I'm concerned, he was an over-hyped kid who didn't work hard enough to really make himself as explosive as a Reggie Bush. It's sad, but he made his choices and injuries really nailed him this year. I wish him the best of course, but I don't think he played to his potential.

I'm pretty sure nobody made Reggie Bush explosive other then his parents. Same with A. Green, LP Etc. If all a player had to do was work really, really hard in the off season and in practice, wouldn't there be more RBs in NCAA like Bush???

Marlon stated it himself, he didn't ask for those 5 stars and Husker fans blew up the Reggie Bush comparisons to impracticality. That's whats sad. That and all the money Rivals/Scout/Teen Beat magazine makes off pimping these HS 17-18 words to subscribers and ranking players.

I personally thought Lucky was toast after he had the hospital incident. BUT he kept going and had a fine NU career facing adversity and growing as a person. He wasn't brought in at the most opportune time to be playing football at NU and for this I thank him for coming.

I don't think you can acurately judge any player who played under Callahan's system for three years. If Marlon had played under a coach like Pelini his entire college carreer I think he'd a had a chance to re-write some record books at Nebraska. As it is he was far, far, from being a bust. I wish nothing but the best for Marlon as he moves on and am thankful he played here.

Did anyone notice that as the year went on, his playing time kept being reduced??? I'm not so sure Pelini is a big fan of lucky

Some folks will call him a bust :bang because of the hype put on him by recruiting sites which if you ask me is complete crap. If people don’t pay attention to the hype and look at his body of work, he had a pretty good career.

I sure wish they would have redshirted him that first year instead of wasting it on Kickoff returns but what can you do. That is the way of college football look at Dennard this year.

+1

This is a prime example of why people should stop putting so much pressure on these kids and un-fathomable expectations. Lucky had a good career, but I doubt he will ever get the respect he really deserves for it.

I don't think you can acurately judge any player who played under Callahan's system for three years. If Marlon had played under a coach like Pelini his entire college carreer I think he'd a had a chance to re-write some record books at Nebraska. As it is he was far, far, from being a bust. I wish nothing but the best for Marlon as he moves on and am thankful he played here.

Did anyone notice that as the year went on, his playing time kept being reduced??? I'm not so sure Pelini is a big fan of lucky

Did anyone notice that Lucky was battling injuries?

I don't think you can accurately judge any player who played under Callahan's system for three years. If Marlon had played under a coach like Pelini his entire college career I think he'd a had a chance to re-write some record books at Nebraska. As it is he was far, far, from being a bust. I wish nothing but the best for Marlon as he moves on and am thankful he played here.

Did anyone notice that Lucky was battling injuries?

sure, but even he admitted that he held back under cally.....as skers said, the kid never had the heart or work ethic to be great....he did what he allowed himself to do....he will have minimal, if any impact in the NFL, but no hate, just wish him the best, he had his chance here at NU.

FWIW Luckys stats were much better under Callahans system than they were under BPs.Now I think Lucky was a solid player and will probably have stats to show but you are wrong about BC.Lucky was the perfect back for BCs system.He used Lucky exactly like he wanted and Lucky thrived more in BCs than he did Wats/BPs system.Personally I never thought Lucky had the vision,balance,or instincts to be a GREAT back BUT you cant knock his production in Callahans system.

I, like a lot of folks on here, got frustrated at times by Lucky's running style. Did he live up to the hype? The better question is, could anyone have lived up to the hype he brought? There was a segment on 1620 yesterday where they interviewed Marlon...I would recommend everyone listen to it...he sounds like he has his head on straight, and it made me appreciate Marlon the person more, as I had been rough on Marlon the player for a while. Regardless, 4th on NU all time yardage chart...that's pretty darn good.

http://www.1620thezone.com/

Good luck Marlon, thanks for the great job you did!

Go Big Red!

I, like a lot of folks on here, got frustrated at times by Lucky's running style. Did he live up to the hype? The better question is, could anyone have lived up to the hype he brought? There was a segment on 1620 yesterday where they interviewed Marlon...I would recommend everyone listen to it...he sounds like he has his head on straight, and it made me appreciate Marlon the person more, as I had been rough on Marlon the player for a while. Regardless, 4th on NU all time yardage chart...that's pretty darn good.

http://www.1620thezone.com/

Good luck Marlon, thanks for the great job you did!

Go Big Red!

he was here during the worst 4 year period most of us can remember, if he was here at any other time he'd be one of the most loved players.

Thats where I disagree.

I think the only chance he had at starting at Nebraska was during the time he was here.

I can not think of one back that we hold on a high level that he would have started in front of.

He just did not want it bad enough, did not give it 110% at all times.

Maybe we will see another side, now that he is looking to the pros. I wish him luck, and a good career. But I really hopes he gets or got his degree, because if he does not change his thinking, it will do him a lot more good than the NFL.