Article focused on Changes in College Football and focuses on Nebraska

jayhawk

Well yeah, I mean when was the last time we recruited somebody for Nebraska that was a Nebraska native? That would be 1997-98 when Eric Crouch signed on.

uhhhh Collins Okafor?

Sean Fisher?

Baker Steinkuhler?

John Levorson?

Just to name a few from a year ago.

I meant to say when was the last time we recruited somebody great/legendary/important etc.

Man, you are right. Eric Crouch was the last big time player I can remember that has come out of Nebraska. makes me wonder what kind of high school coaches we have in Nebraska. The only sport I see in Nebraska producing anyone is in volleyball, because they have good club coaches. I think we should start having spring practice like they do in Texas and Florida. I know our talent pool is lower because of population, but good coaching makes a huge difference.

Zach Potter? Ty Steinkuhler?

Those two were good players, but not big time All-American level players. Although Ty sure looked big time in the Gator Bowl. But Eric Crouch was the last Nebraska native All-American , and that was 8 freakin years ago. What happened to Omaha producing all those great running backs, and where are all those great offensive lineman from the small towns. To me, it has to be sub-par coaching, as it has been just to long since we have had one. Come on Nebraska high school coaches, step it up, we need better coached players from you.

nobody said ANYTHING about All-American...

I meant to say when was the last time we recruited somebody great/legendary/important etc.

Those 2 players were huge for us this year. very important part of our defense... Also.. Barrett Rudd? Seems people are leaving out individuals on the defensive side of the ball..... You don't have to be a big time offensive playmaker to make a difference.

It's not ofeten though that an all-american's come out of Nebraska. It's not like Florida or Texas

Doesn't Nebraska lead the nation in some All-American category? Like most Academic All Americans or am I wrong?

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they came from the state of nebraska... just played a sport at nebraska....

Well yeah, I mean when was the last time we recruited somebody for Nebraska that was a Nebraska native? That would be 1997-98 when Eric Crouch signed on.

Matt Herian?(He was pretty good before injuries)

Barett Ruud?

Yeah Matt Herian would have been a stud if it wasn't for all of the injuries. Where did he end up? I didn't know if he tried the NFL or not I guess. Barett Ruud is doing very well on the other hand.

We have been recruiting in Florida for years, everyone knows that it is rich with good players, as is Texas and California. When BC took over, I got the impression with him that he just figured the good players would show up...it seemed to me that the only players that he really went after was the skill positions that he thought was important, namely QB and receivers. He put no importance on having good linemen, or a good defense for that matter. He also thought that if they were good enough to be college players they should already know everything about their position - he didn't realize you still had to teach them, not just expect them to show up and put out.

Recruiting is something that has to be done, when you hire a coach you have to look seriously at his abilities as a recruiter...even assistant coaches need to be good when it comes to recruiting, as players will have the most contact with them during the recruiting process, and as a player when they show up. I think this coaching staff has some very strong recruiters...and anyone that meets Bo can't help but get fired up.

It is also necessary for us to get good publicity, as fans, as a university, and as a city. They have to want to come for more reasons than just football. I think the University does more than it's part in putting the money where their mouth is. It is also important for us to be viewed as moving up in the polls into a position that we can challenge for the NC. Let the kids that just want to play, that aren't really looking to seriously play for a NC go someplace like K-state, CU, or ISU. We want the kids that believe that we are going to win a NC...that is the message that has to go out from fans, coaches, and the university.

Recruiting is a tough business, very competitive. Osborne used to be really good at evaluating talent, finding it where nobody else looked. I think that is an important key also. Your coaches and recruiters have to know talent when they see it...and know when it can move successfully to the next level and compete for a starting job, and when it can't.

Good points, Trucker. I dont know if BC didnt "get" cf or if his ego didnt allow it (?)

Anyway, I thought the article, without saying so, really highlights how awesome Devaney and Osborne were in being able to build and sustain NU like they did. I agree that I think Bo has assembled a staff that can hopefully get NU back in kids' minds like it was prior to this decade.

It's not ofeten though that an all-american's come out of Nebraska. It's not like Florida or Texas

Doesn't Nebraska lead the nation in some All-American category? Like most Academic All Americans or am I wrong?

I think we do but it is All American across the board for athletes not just Nebraska athletes