Is redshirting needed??

Redshirting is stupid, imho. Not because the concept of being on the team for five years is stupid, just the concept of being forced to sit out for one year so you can actually play four full years.

They should just let players play for 5 full years. Given most true Freshman don't play a lot, it's not like it's a big deal. And then you could still grant a player a medical redshirt if they need it one year.

Redshirting and walk-ons are an absolute necessity at Nebraska. We will NEVER recruit at the level of Miami, USC, Oklahoma or Texas. The only way we can be competitive is to find a few diamonds in the rough and get the most out of some overachievers. This is the fact of life in Big Red land and we would not have had the success from 1962 through 1997 without utilizing these options.

Questions! Does redshirting hurt recruiting some? I mean do recruits, who generally like to think that they are ready to contribute right away, shy away from a school that redshirts most players, for other schools that have a history of playing kids as true freshman?

Questions! Does redshirting hurt recruiting some? I mean do recruits, who generally like to think that they are ready to contribute right away, shy away from a school that redshirts most players, for other schools that have a history of playing kids as true freshman?

I'm sure it has some negative effect, but I doubt it's much. Most studies on recruiting show that location (I should say proximity to home) is the single most deciding factor. That being the case, it means that most recruits - despite almost all of them saying early playing time is a factor - opt for a school close to home. Which would usually mean that redshirting doesn't enter into the equation.

And let's be honest - most of these kids think they are going to come in and take the world by storm, becoming a starter immediately. Of course, they fail to consider that there are guys that are 3-4 years older who are physically more mature, know the system, have been through the "homesick blues", become acclimated to college, and were just as highly recruited (often).

So, while it may have some effect, I doubt it's much...

I'm sure it has some negative effect, but I doubt it's much. Most studies on recruiting show that location (I should say proximity to home) is the single most deciding factor. That being the case, it means that most recruits - despite almost all of them saying early playing time is a factor - opt for a school close to home. Which would usually mean that redshirting doesn't enter into the equation.

And let's be honest - most of these kids think they are going to come in and take the world by storm, becoming a starter immediately. Of course, they fail to consider that there are guys that are 3-4 years older who are physically more mature, know the system, have been through the "homesick blues", become acclimated to college, and were just as highly recruited (often).

So, while it may have some effect, I doubt it's much...

Couldn't agree more. Look at Texas for instance. They've pretty much got all they need already and it's almost exclusesively Texans. Do you think all these kids are convinced that they'll start over the guys that were just as highly recruited as they are, last year and the year before and the year before that?

I know it's horrible to say, but most kids who are recruited to play Divison 1 football don't want to get their degree. They all think they're going to make it to the NFL and make millions. Their second year in, most will get the cold hard reality that they should probably start taking studies seriously because they more than likely will not make it to the next level.

With that being said.

Redshirting is awesome! I don't see why someone would consider it stupid. It allows the kid to get a year bigger, faster, stronger and more knowledgeable. They aren't rushed to finish school in four years and it's basically just another year of perks. I'm really happy that Bo is such a strong advocate for redshirting because it's a genius thing.

I know it's horrible to say, but most kids who are recruited to play Divison 1 football don't want to get their degree.

I think that is the most incorrect statement that I have ever read on this board. I consider "most" to mean an overwhelming majority. However, even if you wanted "most" to mean over 50%. I still think you are wrong. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I just think you are wrong on this statement.

I know it's horrible to say, but most kids who are recruited to play Divison 1 football don't want to get their degree.

I think that is the most incorrect statement that I have ever read on this board. I consider "most" to mean an overwhelming majority. However, even if you wanted "most" to mean over 50%. I still think you are wrong. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I just think you are wrong on this statement.

:yeah It is simple math. 120 D1 teams currently, I think WKU is becoming DIV 1?, with 85 scholarship players per so that is over 10,000 players. Only 256 players were taken in the 2009 draft making the percentage of scholarship players drafted at under 3%, that is some pretty long odds, and that doesn't even include the sub-division players and non-scholarship players that will attempt to go to the NFL. The young men might have asperations early on, but I think as they mature in college they realize that their next opportunities in life most likely don't include the NFL and education is important.

:yeah It is simple math. 120 D1 teams currently, I think WKU is becoming DIV 1?, with 85 scholarship players per so that is over 10,000 players. Only 256 players were taken in the 2009 draft making the percentage of scholarship players drafted at under 3%, that is some pretty long odds, and that doesn't even include the sub-division players and non-scholarship players that will attempt to go to the NFL. The young men might have asperations early on, but I think as they mature in college they realize that their next opportunities in life most likely don't include the NFL and education is important.

Yah...Hence the statement I make after what was quoted above.

" Their second year in, most will get the cold hard reality that they should probably start taking studies seriously because they more than likely will not make it to the next level.

If you don't think that most kids playing football in high school who are good enough to play Division I don't think they can make it to the NFL, then you are naive. Of course the odds are stacked against most kids, but that doesn't mean they can't think they'll make it.

And frankly, I don't care if you think I"m wrong. Kids want to get theie degree, and I dont' see why it's so "incorrect" to think that they care more about making it to the NFL than majoring in something. Of course there's exceptions, but the vast majority...I'd say otherwise.

Oh, and if that's the most incorrect statement you've ever read on this board (with no facts on your side to back up) then you need to read this board a little harder.

" Their second year in, most will get the cold hard reality that they should probably start taking studies seriously because they more than likely will not make it to the next level.

If you don't think that most kids playing football in high school who are good enough to play Division I don't think they can make it to the NFL, then you are naive. Of course the odds are stacked against most kids, but that doesn't mean they can't think they'll make it.

And frankly, I don't care if you think I"m wrong. Kids want to get theie degree, and I dont' see why it's so "incorrect" to think that they care more about making it to the NFL than majoring in something. Of course there's exceptions, but the vast majority...I'd say otherwise.

Oh, and if that's the most incorrect statement you've ever read on this board (with no facts on your side to back up) then you need to read this board a little harder.

I think you are really over generalizing these young men quite a bit. I agree with you in part that the top athletes coming out of HS are over confident and most likely have asperations to get to the NFL, but to think that even a vast majority of these players don't want to get a degree is really selling them all short. I think they are smarter than you give them credit for and realize that they may or may not make it in the NFL so an education is a needed back up plan. Having the NFL as a primary goal doesn't mean you still don't plan for other courses of action if the NFL doesn't work out.

I think you are really over generalizing these young men quite a bit. I agree with you in part that the top athletes coming out of HS are over confident and most likely have asperations to get to the NFL, but to think that even a vast majority of these players don't want to get a degree is really selling them all short. I think they are smarter than you give them credit for and realize that they may or may not make it in the NFL so an education is a needed back up plan. Having the NFL as a primary goal doesn't mean you still don't plan for other courses of action if the NFL doesn't work out.

No, I totally agree with you. That's why I said that come their second year, they realize that a degree is the most important.

That's really my main point. The kids coming out are probably more focused on making it to the next level, since they are only one away, than they are with their studies.

No, I totally agree with you. That's why I said that come their second year, they realize that a degree is the most important.

That's really my main point. The kids coming out are probably more focused on making it to the next level, since they are only one away, than they are with their studies.

.a true freshman probably would not start,,,and reshirting might be a good idea there....my quess there are different theorys on this,,,but if you have lots of depth, why not.. but also agree with above thread,,if a freshman can have an immediate impact....no......sort of depends on the individual , but established programs...i would think red-shirting helps..A redshirt freshman gains a year of eligibility and can play stay on the team for 5 years instead of just 4 so he might not be ready to play his first season so he gets that extra year to prepare. as for usc,,,they can recruit great players ..so reshirting might hurt them,, due to the fact you have a certain limit on number of players...usc coaches can probably tell immediately if a kid had the talent for d1 play.., and if they have doubuts about a kid,, whey re-shirt, when they can recriut a 5 star player the next year.