Is redshirting needed??

"There is no such thing as a redshirt at Florida anymore," said Gators coach Urban Meyer. "We try to make that real clear."{from SI.com}

That tells me that,regardless of class,jobs are up for grabs to ALL players.It happens at USC.it promotes competition,thus getting the best player for the position.

Is this something that Bo can institute?It seems to me that he like to redshirt.Look at the 2008 class.{Though I think that was done with an eye towards 2009 and 2010.

Your thoughts?

Last year...like you said... was based more on the lack of depth and was meant to help that over the next couple years. In my opinion Pelini's comments over the last year lead me to believe every position battle is open. 100%. If you are better you play....but untill we start to get more immediate impact players we wont see much of it.

Redshirting is still absolutely needed!! I agree everyone should have equal shot to earn their spot, but if you have a couple seniors who are studs at their position and the freshmen is just as good but not quite mature yet, he will not play. So, why waste a year for him sitting on the bench, redshirt him. Also, for injuries like Williams this year. I just don't think he is gonna be really ready to play this year and a redshirt is a good thing for someone like him.

"There is no such thing as a redshirt at Florida anymore," said Gators coach Urban Meyer. "We try to make that real clear."{from SI.com}

That tells me that,regardless of class,jobs are up for grabs to ALL players.It happens at USC.it promotes competition,thus getting the best player for the position.

Is this something that Bo can institute?It seems to me that he like to redshirt.Look at the 2008 class.{Though I think that was done with an eye towards 2009 and 2010.

Your thoughts?

Bad move on many levels. First, and I cannot say whether these statistics are accurate anymore, but the numbers I heard a few years back is that student athletes who redshirt have a 40% greater likelihood of graduating than do student athletes who do not redshirt. This alone makes the case a done deal. If anything, I'd like to go the other way and say all athletes should redshirt.

Second, players develop at different rates and adjust to college at different rates -- a redshirt year of acclimation is as well a good thing.

Third, and this is not centered so much on the individuals, but on the team --- roster management is much easier when you have redshirts to work with.

Your thoughts?

Bad move on many levels. First, and I cannot say whether these statistics are accurate anymore, but the numbers I heard a few years back is that student athletes who redshirt have a 40% greater likelihood of graduating than do student athletes who do not redshirt. This alone makes the case a done deal. If anything, I'd like to go the other way and say all athletes should redshirt.

Second, players develop at different rates and adjust to college at different rates -- a redshirt year of acclimation is as well a good thing.

Third, and this is not centered so much on the individuals, but on the team --- roster management is much easier when you have redshirts to work with.

I agree. Ask the ACC how they like Jim Grobe redshirting his entire classes?? Especially ask FSU fans and their annual top 10 recruiting classes how much they like Wake Forrest.

Ya USC promotes competition but USC still shirts plenty of kids, their recruit-classes usually aren't that big.

If you have blue-chips all over the place you can skip shirting more but if you have to win by getting more out of non-blue-chips you better shirt.

I think Bo will simply follow the edict he laid-out early. You make the two-deep you play, if you don't then you likely shirt.

Your thoughts?

I agree. Ask the ACC how they like Jim Grobe redshirting his entire classes?? Especially ask FSU fans and their annual top 10 recruiting classes how much they like Wake Forrest.

I will so far as to say this --- because the probability of graduating is so dramatically higher when one redshirts relative to when one does not --- I feel it the DUTY of the coaching staff to redshirt the player unless they are an academic exception (as some are). That is, it is fine to not redshirt a student athlete who came in with 12 dual enrollment credits and an ACT of 28 or higher and is a major in a rigorous program --- that is, not redshirting a student/athlete that has exceedingly high probability of graduating in 4 years is perfectly fine --- and this constitutes an exception. I am disinclined to see as ethical the notion of not redshirting a student/athlete for football reasons (we needed him on the field) UNLESS he is also an outstanding student. Otherwise, by playing him and thus having 4 years to graduate (I know that they can continue after eligibility is exhausted, but such is rare --- most do not), this basically sacrifices (or at least risks) the student/athletes education for the sake of athletics. that is, I think anyway, inhernetly, wrong.

So.... I advocate redshirting everyone unless an academic exception enables one to not redshirt the player with minimal to no risk of graduation.

That said, if I had the authority, I'd make the NCAA mandate that all freshman, without exception, in every sport, redshirt. Everyone has the first year as a shirt.

• 2 months later...

Your thoughts?

Well when Urban Meyer said that he was discussing some kid who just signed with Florida and Meyer was comparing this kid to Percy Harvin.

The positions where a recruit can come in and play right away are typically only WR and DB's.

Other positions like RB, LB and QB can play right away but it's usually beneficial if they redshirt.

Then there are other positions where a redshirt year is crucial: OL, DL, TE, FB; because very few kids coming out of high school at these positions are physically ready for D1-A ball.

Now that's slowly chaging as even high schools are starting to have summer and winter conditioning programs. But as of right now...most kids still redshirt.

Your thoughts?

My thought as a Professor of 22 years is that the graduation rate with no one taking a redshirt will plummet and that the reason for redshirting is to better facilitate students ability to graduate. Since less that 1% of Division 1 football players end up playing in the NFL, then redshirting --- so as to better enable student athletes to graduate --- is a concept that, if any emphasis change is to be made, should be emphasized rather than deemphasized.

Meyer is hurting the student athletes with what he is doing. Even at Florida, the overwhelming majority will not play in the NFL and not allowing these kids 5 years to graduate is a crime.

It's easy for Urban to say that when the majority of his kids do not need the polishing of an extra year in college.

Some kids are raw and need developmental time. The majority of the kids Urban is able to land can step on the field the first day. That is not a privilege alot of schools have.