QB Play vs KU won't settle the North in '09

I've read a lot of debating about the NU-KU game deciding the North next season. For the most part I agree with that sentiment. I think Mizzou is going to take a major step backwards, and Colorado has to prove they can beat a decent team on the road. The Hawks or Huskers will most certainly be preseason 1 and 2 next Summer. That makes the NU-KU game in Lawrence the possible North Title game.

Living down here in the Kansas City area, I know a lot of KU fans. Nearly everyone of them think KU will beat NU simply because the Huskers are breaking in a new QB. That thought seems to be prevailing on this board as well. A lot of KU fans are making that argument. Wishfull thinking is fun. They could be right. Nobody really knows how well the Husker offense will perform next season.

However, anyone who honestly thinks that's the case needs to one important thing into perspective:

NU and KU play in mid-November. If Nebraska's QB situation isn't settled by then it's unlikely the Huskers will still be in contention for the North.

If the winner of that game does indeed decide the North, then that's good news for the Huskers. Huh, how do you figure? Please allow me to elaborate.

Right now KU has 3 distinct strengths going into that game:

1. Memorial Stadium in Lawrence is now a very tough place to play. The crowds there are great, and there is enough electricity there to fuel momentum.

2. Todd Reesing is a man in an 8th grader's body. The kid is a stud. I actually have a man-crush on him, but I'm not a pedophile..... or gay for that matter.

3. Desmond Briscoe will be the best offensive player on the field for either team. He's a difference maker and in a close game, he can change the outcome.

Here's where Nebraska could really hurt the HAWKS:

KU's offensive line was dominated by NU's interior D-Line last season. All indications show that should continue. Even guys like Crick and Moore had their way with the KU o-line. That o-line will have 3 new interior starters. Experience won't be an issue by mid-November. That's foolish to suggest. But it's also foolish to suggest those guys will be able to perform at higher level than the previous KU seniors did against Suh and company. Oh, btw, how good will Suh be by November '09?

- NU will easily control the line of scrimmage, and Reesing will be running for his life again. Expect Allen and Turner to dominate the KU tackles again as well.

KU had no running game against NU this past season. In fact, by the last half of the season, nobody ran on NU, including Clemson's 250 rushing yards a game attack with two NFL running backs. The KU and Clemson running games are completely different, so that doesn't mean much.

However, results do matter. Will KU try to revamp their running game this off-season? Sure they will, but with a new o-line and the same scheme it's unlikely they will run the football against the Huskers. NU will control the line of scrimmage, and the added speed and depth dimension in the linebacking corps lends more weight to the no KU running game argument.

NU's secondary has nothing but experience and more depth returning. It will be tested by the KU receiving corp. Meier, Briscoe, and Reesing are scary. However, with no running game and very little pass protection, it will be tough for KU to execute the passing game.

So in a nutshell, NU will won KU next season.

I've read a lot of debating about the NU-KU game deciding the North next season. For the most part I agree with that sentiment. I think Mizzou is going to take a major step backwards, and Colorado has to prove they can beat a decent team on the road. The Hawks or Huskers will most certainly be preseason 1 and 2 next Summer. That makes the NU-KU game in Lawrence the possible North Title game.

Living down here in the Kansas City area, I know a lot of KU fans. Nearly everyone of them think KU will beat NU simply because the Huskers are breaking in a new QB. That thought seems to be prevailing on this board as well. A lot of KU fans are making that argument. Wishfull thinking is fun. They could be right. Nobody really knows how well the Husker offense will perform next season.

However, anyone who honestly thinks that's the case needs to one important thing into perspective:

NU and KU play in mid-November. If Nebraska's QB situation isn't settled by then it's unlikely the Huskers will still be in contention for the North.

If the winner of that game does indeed decide the North, then that's good news for the Huskers. Huh, how do you figure? Please allow me to elaborate.

Right now KU has 3 distinct strengths going into that game:

1. Memorial Stadium in Lawrence is now a very tough place to play. The crowds there are great, and there is enough electricity there to fuel momentum.

Agreed.

2. Todd Reesing is a man in an 8th grader's body. The kid is a stud. I actually have a man-crush on him, but I'm not a pedophile..... or gay for that matter.

agreed.

3. Desmond Briscoe will be the best offensive player on the field for either team. He's a difference maker and in a close game, he can change the outcome.

Not sure if hes the best but hes definitely a differencemaker.Personally I like Roy Helu and Reesing as the best.Why because Briscoe as all WRs are at the mercy of there QBs.If we get to Reesing itll be harder for Briscoe to be effective.Reesing and Helu can touch it every play if needed.Not sure Brisco can.but I agreed he is a game changer and must be accounted for

Here's where Nebraska could really hurt the HAWKS:

KU's offensive line was dominated by NU's interior D-Line last season. All indications show that should continue. Even guys like Crick and Moore had their way with the KU o-line. That o-line will have 3 new interior starters. Experience won't be an issue by mid-November. That's foolish to suggest. But it's also foolish to suggest those guys will be able to perform at higher level than the previous KU seniors did against Suh and company. Oh, btw, how good will Suh be by November '09?

- NU will easily control the line of scrimmage, and Reesing will be running for his life again. Expect Allen and Turner to dominate the KU tackles again as well.

agreed.

KU had no running game against NU this past season. In fact, by the last half of the season, nobody ran on NU, including Clemson's 250 rushing yards a game attack with two NFL running backs. The KU and Clemson running games are completely different, so that doesn't mean much.

agreed but clemsons QB sucked hog ballz .As you said Reesing is a beastBUT our defense will be MUCH improved ALL over

However, results do matter. Will KU try to revamp their running game this off-season? Sure they will, but with a new o-line and the same scheme it's unlikely they will run the football against the Huskers. NU will control the line of scrimmage, and the added speed and depth dimension in the linebacking corps lends more weight to the no KU running game argument.

I still think they struggle to run on us.

NU's secondary has nothing but experience and more depth returning. It will be tested by the KU receiving corp. Meier, Briscoe, and Reesing are scary. However, with no running game and very little pass protection, it will be tough for KU to execute the passing game.

agreed

So in a nutshell, NU will won KU next season. I tend to agree as well but reserve the right to change my mind depending on how our QB play is which I expect it to be solid.

I never thought this matchup matters at all. By the time our QB has to go into Lawrence (and as much as they want it to be it's still not intimidating) he will already have gone to blacksburg which is a much harsher enviroment, gone to Columbia which is a similar environment and played the best team he'll face all season in OU at home.

KU couldn't hang with our defense last year, we will be better this year they will be about the same. I think we win by at least 10.

The Colorado game is the game that will decide the North. NU and CU will be the top two teams in the division this year.

I never thought this matchup matters at all. By the time our QB has to go into Lawrence (and as much as they want it to be it's still not intimidating) he will already have gone to blacksburg which is a much harsher enviroment, gone to Columbia which is a similar environment and played the best team he'll face all season in OU at home.

KU couldn't hang with our defense last year, we will be better this year they will be about the same. I think we win by at least 10.

The Colorado game is the game that will decide the North. NU and CU will be the top two teams in the division this year.

Could not agree more, I feel that CU, Missery, and NU will be the top three without a question next year. I am just not sure that KU can beat either OU or Texas.

I am not in agreement.

I seem to remember putting 35 on Nebraska last year. The reason we lost had a lot to do with not getting stops. We will make some big plays and get our points. Also, we have wont the last 2 in Lawrence, and while there is regime change, hard to discount, as this is a better team you are playing than the one you beat.

The Huskers will probably have an advantage against our line, Suh is an insano beast, so I do not discount that. I look for us to win, but it should be a great game. Not sure on the CU prediction, we have beat them 3 years running and our team is getting deeper each year, and Mizzou is losing a lot of key guys, so we will see how they do by the end of the year when they play us. It will be NU / KU for the North, either team can win that game, and should be fun to watch.

I have a feeling our QB, who ever it ends up being, will be just fine next season. I think it took about 5-6 games for Watson to get the Callllahan play calling routine out of his system. He has remembered to play to his players' strengths much like he did at sCUm. Watson will bring along his QB nicely and not put them into a possition to fail.

That said, our D will be the strength of the team next season. So, KU will have a strong O and we will have a strong D. As the old saying goes, "Defense wins championships."

Sorry KU. :bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

I am not in agreement.

I seem to remember putting 35 on Nebraska last year. The reason we lost had a lot to do with not getting stops. We will make some big plays and get our points. Also, we have wont the last 2 in Lawrence, and while there is regime change, hard to discount, as this is a better team you are playing than the one you beat.

The Huskers will probably have an advantage against our line, Suh is an insano beast, so I do not discount that. I look for us to win, but it should be a great game. Not sure on the CU prediction, we have beat them 3 years running and our team is getting deeper each year, and Mizzou is losing a lot of key guys, so we will see how they do by the end of the year when they play us. It will be NU / KU for the North, either team can win that game, and should be fun to watch.

i would be willing to bet that NU wont drop a shoulder into reesing this year <_<

but, the game is won in the trenches.. i really don't think you can say this is a better team than the one we beat.. the weapons on Offense have more experience, but that will mean nothing if reesing is on his back all day.

I am not in agreement.

i would be willing to bet that NU wont drop a shoulder into reesing this year <_<

but, the game is won in the trenches.. i really don't think you can say this is a better team than the one we beat.. the weapons on Offense have more experience, but that will mean nothing if reesing is on his back all day.

I completely disagree with the fans on here. CU and MU will be better than KU?? How do you figure? We return the most skill players than any other team in the north. And it's hilarious that husker fans think we'll take a step back in the trenches. We return basically our entire defensive line, and return both tackles, our tight end, and we have very capable guys who will replace our middle 3 on offense. Nebraska has new receivers and a new QB. You lose way too much on offense to think you'll go 5-0 in the north. And last time I checked, Texas had the best defense in the Big 12, and only ranked 51 nationally. So your defense is far from the best. We'll score 30 plus on you in Lawrence. How will you score is the real question.

I am not in agreement.

Well you're delusional, so that explains that. You must have forgotten the fact Nebraska beat Kansas last year.

I am not in agreement.

Well you're delusional, so that explains that. You must have forgotten the fact Nebraska beat Kansas last year.

WOW. There's some strong logic. And KU beat Nebraska the year before...who cares!!

Lets be real here: What's the difference between MU and NU. Not much really. MU blew them off the field last year, and both schools lose a ton of skill players. Both will have highly ranked, young QB's-that's if Cody starts for NU. It sounds like Gabbert will get the nod in Columbia. Really, both teams have a lot of question marks.

I could see the north coming down to KU and MU. Colorado has no chance to win it. They're too weak, and they're coach is a moran. But hey, you guys struggled against them, so anything is possible I guess.