Why missouri will never be good. ever.

mitch93

Spooky,

He continously called and spoke with players, telling them they were being misused, the staff was not good, most likely correct, but it was totally inappropriate, which led to unrest within the team.

He also turned them lose after their win in the bowl game. No guidance. Numerous players in trouble, beer at the hotel, and a list of other things. Some I will not even mention due to the severity. There was a major concern and possible NCAA infractions, if he had stayed at Oklahoma. I posted a lot of this stuff as it was going on. At the time I knew people with in the program.

Numerous recruiting incidents while at Oklahoma. He stopped upon going to LSU.

Please give me on example of Nebraska being considered an elite program over the last ten years.

Us thinking so, does not make it so.

Coach Pelini was brought back by a major booster. This was done in late September. I spoke with Coach Osborne about it after the selection. His comments confirmed my thoughts. I have no proof or source for those comments, other than my involvement with the program over the years. This choice was made long before Callahan was fired and little to do with the Athletic Department's search.

As stated, I felt by Bo returning we would have many problems with the team. I felt he would run a loose ship, meaning run ins with the law for players, adhearance to NCAA rules less than stellar. I never questioned his coaching ability or his drive. I have loved his tenacity since I met him.

I never said I was not a Nebraska fan, just that I could not support him being hired. But we all make mistakes, he has changed my oppinion of him, and I am quite happy that he is here. I truly believe he will get us going in the right direction, make us a respectable program and possibly return us to the top ten. But he will need time, it is not going to be an overnight deal as some seem to think.

skersfan, you sound like you are far more plugged in to NU than I am, so I can't dispute much of what you say.

I will, tho, talk about a couple things you said.

(1) RE: Pelini cutting the players loose after he did not get the HC gig in 04. He was no longer on the staff, so what could he do about any misconduct they engaged in? If a player is going to drink at the hotel after the game, they are going to do it whether he admonishes them against it or not. Unless you and I were privy to how he tried to control them, it is unfair for us to speculate if he was delinquent in that regard.

(2) I don't know that Pelini told players that they were being misused after he left. I DO recall Barrett Ruud and some other NU players hugging Bo at the OU game in 04. Not saying improper things weren't said....I just never heard that.

(3) Never heard about Bo being implicated in a recruiting misstep at OU or LSU. Was that published anywhere? (Not doubting you, but I would like to read about it.)

(4) I have always separated elite teams from elite programs. Miami U. was an elite team in the 80s, but would anyone seriously refer to Miami as an elite program? Notre Dame has sucked as a team for over a decade, but most everyone still considers the program elite (witness their ability to get top-rated classes throughout a series of misanthropic coaches).....teams suck but program remains elite.

(5) Major booster bringing Pelini back in September. That means that the decision to fire Cally had to have been made by Pederson early in the 07 season, when NU was still the B12 North champion from the 06 season. Now, why in heck would that have happened? We were 4-1 through Sept. (only loss to Uniformly Septic Conditions). The timing does not hold up to decide to fire BC at that point, particularly since SP would have to had made that decision.

The internet is full of flame bullies and I don't want to come across as one, but nothing you said convinces me. If I had reliable confirmation for what you have learned I would feel differently.

Regardless, thanks for giving me something to think about. I guess my radar will be a little more tuned to Bo's actions in the future.

Spooky,

He continously called and spoke with players, telling them they were being misused, the staff was not good, most likely correct, but it was totally inappropriate, which led to unrest within the team.

He also turned them lose after their win in the bowl game. No guidance. Numerous players in trouble, beer at the hotel, and a list of other things. Some I will not even mention due to the severity. There was a major concern and possible NCAA infractions, if he had stayed at Oklahoma. I posted a lot of this stuff as it was going on. At the time I knew people with in the program.

Please give me on example of Nebraska being considered an elite program over the last ten years.

Coach Pelini was brought back by a major booster. This was done in late September. I spoke with Coach Osborne about it after the selection. His comments confirmed my thoughts. I have no proof or source for those comments, other than my involvement with the program over the years. This choice was made long before Callahan was fired and little to do with the Athletic Department's search.

As stated, I felt by Bo returning we would have many problems with the team. I felt he would run a loose ship, meaning run ins with the law for players, adhearance to NCAA rules less than stellar. I never questioned his coaching ability or his drive. I have loved his tenacity since I met him.

I never said I was not a Nebraska fan, just that I could not support him being hired. But we all make mistakes, he has changed my oppinion of him, and I am quite happy that he is here. I truly believe he will get us going in the right direction, make us a respectable program and possibly return us to the top ten. But he will need time, it is not going to be an overnight deal as some seem to think.

1999 finished the season ranked #2. 2001 Went to the National Championship game, and had a Heisman trophy winner. I would think those teams would be considered elite. Besides, he was talking about the program not individual teams.

Spooky,

1999 finished the season ranked #2. 2001 Went to the National Championship game, and had a Heisman trophy winner. I would think those teams would be considered elite. Besides, he was talking about the program not individual teams.

:rollin ouch.

It's extremely annoying that people seem to feel that after 1997, Nebraska dropped off the map which is not the case. It seems like everybody forgets we actually had a NC caliber team and 4 good years following the Osborne leave. It hasn't been that long since the Huskers were still a force to be reckoned with every year..

i've said it once, i'll say it again.... the county next to Columbia has the HIGHEST number of KKK members per capita in the ENTIRE USA. makes it hard to recruit there. other than when Nebraska is in a coaching change.

You can continue to say it too, but you will still sound like a fool. Let's see if you can provide a SINGLE shred of evidence for that inflammatory remark.

While we wait, here's a like to the Anti-Defamation League listing of active KKK chapters in the US.

http://tinyurl.com/2z2vvf

Sorry it took me so long to reply our school net crashed. I know this because my boss and his family moved out

to that county a couple years ago and promptly moved away upon discovering this little know fact. It is true this county doesn't have a chapter located their but if you want further evidence I'll be more than happy to email the KKK asking where their highest concentration of registered members in one county is located.

Please leave race out of this as it is in bad taste. Not trying to single out this post as much as ask everyone to please respect other people.

Thanks

i would like to see some statistics on number of players leaving for draft early each year for the last 20 years. I'm younger, but I haven't really noticed so drastic of an increase in people leaving early for the nfl.

also, not that we want to be wake forest, but im pretty sure that year they won a bcs game that (or did they just go to one? can't remember) they had mostly redshirt upperclassmen.

History of Missouri Football http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/databas...ri_database.htm

As you can see, they have never won a national championship except for a weird 11-0 season in 1960 (but it doesn't say next to it if it was a NC or not) so I'm not sure what that is all about. If somebody knows I would enjoy being enlightened.

We loss to KU on that year but then they had to forfit it back to us since they had some player or two that not elgble. Bert Cone and can be a nother,can't rember for sure. Think MINN was nat. champ then.

That"s what I rember on it. Guess I"m get old huh?

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU.

:rollin:rollin:rollin

The guy knows MU football. :)

Missouri will never be good until they win a National Championship, or at least compete for them year in and out, so if they are on that path it will take them another 5 years to get to that stage same with Nebraska becuase as of now MU and NU cant recruit like Alabama, Florida, and USC to just win off talent alone, granted they have great coaches,but it will take NU and MU years to build a program that can consistently win NCs.

Missouri will never be good until they win a National Championship, or at least compete for them year in and out, so if they are on that path it will take them another 5 years to get to that stage same with Nebraska becuase as of now MU and NU cant recruit like Alabama, Florida, and USC to just win off talent alone, granted they have great coaches,but it will take NU and MU years to build a program that can consistently win NCs.

You think Pinkel is a great coach? Or are you saying that about Alabama, Florida and USC?

You think Pinkel is a great coach? Or are you saying that about Alabama, Florida and USC?

Saban, Meyer and Carroll are great coaches. Dont know enough about Pinkel to make any assumptions

Nebraska has a great tradition and the support (both alumni & fans) to be great once again. Alabama has been struggling mightily the past decade or so until this past year. If Alabama can climb back into the national spotlight, so can the Huskers. All you need is a good coach (I think you have a good fit, but must be patient) and the proper talent. I say proper because you could have the number 1 fullback coming out of high school, but if your offensive scheme does not utilize a fullback, then what will it matter?

I look forward to the day that Nebraska dominates the Big 12 north, honestly.

I kinda view this with all teams. If you don't have any NC's under your belt, then I don't consider the school to be a good football school. I respect what Kansas and Missouri have done recently, but time and again we see teams rise up but then slip back into mediocrity. If Kansas and Mizzou want my long term respect, they need to be competing for the B12 North every year from here out and not slip to the bottom.

Not to be a homer, but I believe that Nebraska has the right to claim it's way back into the spotlight. We have the tradition, the boosters, the fan base, and the exposure to get ourselves back to the top, something that schools like Mizzou and Kansas are still trying to build, something that takes time.

I kinda view this with all teams. If you don't have any NC's under your belt, then I don't consider the school to be a good football school. I respect what Kansas and Missouri have done recently, but time and again we see teams rise up but then slip back into mediocrity. If Kansas and Mizzou want my long term respect, they need to be competing for the B12 North every year from here out and not slip to the bottom.

Not to be a homer, but I believe that Nebraska has the right to claim it's way back into the spotlight. We have the tradition, the boosters, the fan base, and the exposure to get ourselves back to the top, something that schools like Mizzou and Kansas are still trying to build, something that takes time.

So then you considerWash Univ.ersity Huskyis good football school and not mu, who has beat GBRlast 3 time"s? I think they loss all game last year but won NC sometime ago, so they are good football school, but not mu. Okay but I don't get that not all. That"s new to me so I"ll work to rember it.

All thing"s you say of tradtion and ever thing can be true. Some how I think W_L record matter more to amek that NC right? Cub"s in baseball have lot"s of that and now oever 100 year"s of nothing.

TuffTiger

So then you considerWash Univ.ersity Huskyis good football school and not mu, who has beat GBRlast 3 time"s? I think they loss all game last year but won NC sometime ago, so they are good football school, but not mu. Okay but I don't get that not all. That"s new to me so I"ll work to rember it.

All thing"s you say of tradtion and ever thing can be true. Some how I think W_L record matter more to amek that NC right? Cub"s in baseball have lot"s of that and now oever 100 year"s of nothing.

TuffTiger

You raise some good points Tiger.

Just to clarify, I consider a good place to play football is one that has national championships (recent ones, say the last 40 years), strong tradition, strong fan base, strong coaching, and willing/passionate boosters. The Wash. Huskies have lost a portion of their fan base, had boosters back off recently, and had to deal with poor coaching, so they are currently not a great place to play football.

Mizzou has passionate fans, OK coaching (going to have to see what happens this year considering a lot of players left and so did some key coaches), and are gathering some key note boosters. They still, however, don't have the strongest of traditions and have no NC's. Kansas is very similar in that regard, but I say they have a bit of a coaching edge over Mizzou.