Why does everyone want Green to start?

carlfense

I'm curious as to why many people either expect or hope that Cody Green will be the starting quarterback next year. I think that both for his sake, and for the good of the team, it would be best for him to redshirt next year. It seems extremely difficult to walk into college as a true freshman and effectively run an offense, particularly one like Watson's that is still relatively complicated. While there are exceptions like Pryor at OSU, it seems that the majority of highly successful quarterbacks either redshirted or played only sparingly their freshmen years.

For example, arguably the 3 best qb's from last year:

Sam Bradford - started as a redshirt freshman.

Colt Mccoy - started as a redshirt freshman.

Tim Tebow - played only sparingly his freshmen season, generally in 4th and short situations.

I think it's much more likely that Green follows the rule rather than the exception. Your thoughts?

Here is what I think Green should do.

2009/10 - Red shirt, get the playbook down, work on what he needs to work on

2010/11 - Zac Lee is still QB, so Green will need to battle to take the spot or battle to take the number 2 spot. I figure Green grabs the number 2 spot and only plays when the coaches want him to.

2011/12 - Green becomes the full-time Nebraska QB.

I don't want him to play next year, but a lot of people are hoping he is the next Terrelle Pryor or Robert Griffin, like you mentioned. I don't think he is, but of course we'll have to wait and see what the coaches think.

I agree with your last statement carlfense. Just because others around the country have started as freshmen, doesn't mean we should do the same. And I also think that some fans are underestimating just how complex this SpreadCoast system is. And when you've been in the top 15 in offense, why the hell would you want to dumb things down when you have guys capable of running the system the way it is?

In the case of OSU, they had a mediocre QB in Bockman (sp) to begin with, and a very simple offense that they ran with Pryor. Besides, part of me believes that Pryor was promised early playing time to get him to sign. Because as good as he looked at times, there where some games where he was terrible doing anything other than scrambling. Is that really what we want for our Huskers?

I don't want him to play next year, but a lot of people are hoping he is the next Terrelle Pryor or Robert Griffin, like you mentioned. I don't think he is, but of course we'll have to wait and see what the coaches think.

I don't hink Green will be Pryor or Griffin. I think he'll be BETTER than both of them! IF they show patience bringing him along.

And what has Griffin really proven to anyone? Yeah he is fast as hell and a pretty good athlete. But he hasn't won anything, or proven himself to be a good leader. Being an amazing athlete does not automaticaly make you a great QB.

I don't hink Green will be Pryor or Griffin. I think he'll be BETTER than both of them! IF they show patience bringing him along.

And what has Griffin really proven to anyone? Yeah he is fast as hell and a pretty good athlete. But he hasn't won anything, or proven himself to be a good leader. Being an amazing athlete does not automaticaly make you a great QB.

Pass me some of that kool-aid! I hope you are right...I think I just have a hard time expecting too much out of our hyped qb recruits considering the outcome of the last few...

it's the anticipation...word is Green is probably a better athlete than Lee.

And virtually any top-rated NCAA decathlete is a better athlete than both of them --- but that does not mean I want that decathlete as our QB. Just because Green is a better athlete than Lee (which may, or may not be true) that does not mean he'll be a better QB than Lee ever ---- much less as early as August of 2009.

First, being an effective QB is far, far, far more than mere athleticism --- even in a dual roll type system. It is passing technique, field vision, accuracy, timing, touch, ability to move through progressions, ability to stand up under pressure, ability to remain calm, ability to lead, it is arm strength, throwing technique, running vision..... and athleticism.

Second, maybe, maybe Green will be a better QB in 4 years than will be Lee in four years (if both are still playing then) --- but.....

in August of this year Lee will have had a year of JC QB experience (as the nations #1 prospect), will be 20 years old, will have practiced in the NU system for two full years (and then some) while Green will be 18 (or maybe still 17), will have played only in HS and will be in his first spring at NU. There is NO CHANCE that Green will be better as a QB in Aug 2009 than Lee. Green will be well behind Spano as well.

2010/11 - Zac Lee is still QB, so Green will need to battle to take the spot or battle to take the number 2 spot. I figure Green grabs the number 2 spot and only plays when the coaches want him to.

Very reasonable post. I'd add that Kody Spano was every bit as heralded nationally as was Green (both were the #9 nationally as dual threat QB's) --- and sure who knows how accurate either assessment was. But my point is Spano is also thought to be really, really good. Green, as good as he may be, is not a lock to start as a redshirt sophomore either --- he must first beat out Spano --- and while most assume that to be a given, well... think again --- Spano may out compete him.

No knock on Green --- he has the potential to be great. But so too does Lee and Spano --- and they are more seasoned, more mature, and more experienced. So, Cody Green has really tough competition to contend with. In 3 years we'll see how he stacks up. This year and next, you will see either nothing from, or little from him. And, that is great --- for as you say, he'll come up slowly in the system and prosper.

Very reasonable post. I'd add that Kody Spano was every bit as heralded nationally as was Green (both were the #9 nationally as dual threat QB's) --- and sure who knows how accurate either assessment was. But my point is Spano is also thought to be really, really good. Green, as good as he may be, is not a lock to start as a redshirt sophomore either --- he must first beat out Spano --- and while most assume that to be a given, well... think again --- Spano may out compete him.

No knock on Green --- he has the potential to be great. But so too does Lee and Spano --- and they are more seasoned, more mature, and more experienced. So, Cody Green has really tough competition to contend with. In 3 years we'll see how he stacks up. This year and next, you will see either nothing from, or little from him. And, that is great --- for as you say, he'll come up slowly in the system and prosper.

Actually Green finished the season as the 6th dual-threat qb prospect, and was a 4 star player, quite a bit more 'heralding' for him than Spano.

Very true. I heard numerous reports that Spano was doing extremely well on the scout team and was impressing numerous coaches, so Spano is still in the mix without question. I wish there was more information on him though, he seems to be getting passed over in most of the media attention ergo there isn't a lot to read about on him.