Let's Look Ahead! (Conference Play)

eoltmer

Sorry to the avid readers about last week, had work issues so couldn't get time to get on the board and yes work effects my home life /sigh. I would like to see some MU fans take on this also. Hope you enjoy this weeks, I added a few new sections.

Well non-conf. play is over time to get to the meat and potatoes of the schedule. The theme for last year’s match up "No. 4 Mizzou routs Nebraska en route to first win in Lincoln in 30 years". The irony, "35-point defeat was the Huskers' most lopsided home loss in 53 years and fifth-worst in Lincoln in the program's 119-year history". Many think the motivation behind the mid season turn around for the Huskers was this game’s outcome last year. Let’s see what MU brings to the table this year in Columbia.

Missouri (Tiger’s) 10-4, (5-3)

National Stats:

#8 in Total Offense :clap

#6 in Scoring Offense :hellloooo

#4 in Passing Offense :nanalama

#53 in Rushing Offense :moreinteresting

#100 in Total Defense :LOLtartar

#68 in Scoring Defense :snacks:

#118 in Pass Defense :facepalm:

#31 in Rush Defense chuckleshuffle

Big XII Conference Stats (per game):

#4 in Total Offense: 482.9 :wasted

#4 in Scoring Offense: 42.2 :cop:

#3 in Passing Offense: 330.4 :yeah

#6 in Rushing Offense: 152.50 :o

#9 in Total Defense: 411.5 :steam

#3 in Scoring Defense: 27.2 :corndance (Moral Victories)

#12 in Pass Defense: 286.4 :sarcasm

#5 in Rushing Defense: 125.07 :wacko:

Most embarrassing loss: 21-62 vs. OU :laughpound (Allowed 384 passing yards, and 243 on the ground, OUCH!)

Most embarrassing win: 31-28 vs Baylor :dumdum (Mizzou and Baylor combined for more than 900 total yards WOW!)

Most impressive win: 30-23 OT vs Northwestern :thumbs (Woulfort’s 37 yard kick to send the game to OT then Maclin's 7 yard TD catch ftw!)

Most heart breaking loss: 21-62 vs. OU :facepalm: (Back to back blowouts in title games can be salty no matter who you are.)

Key Offensive returning player: :star:star:star RB Derrick Washington (Jr.)

2008 Stats: 1036 yards & 17 TD's rushing, 277 yards & 2 TD's recieveing.

For a team that was middle of the pack in rushing both conference and nationally Washington was the lone bright spot. One of four 1k yard rushers in the Big XII last year, Washington will be looked upon to help out the new QB in times of passing woes. Washington was selected All Big XII second team.

Impact Offensive newcomer: QB Blaine Gabbert (Soph.)

The play of the starting QB will be the biggest hurdle to overcome, especially when the previous QB was the best in school history. Minus the defection from NU to MU in the recruiting process ( :box ) Gabbert has all the tools to succeed in Pinkle's offensive system.

Key Defensive returning player: :star:star:star:star LB Sean Weatherspoon (Sr.)

2008 Stats: 76 solo 79 assisted 155 total tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, 3 INT's (2 returned for TD's), 7 pass breakup's, 6 QB hurries and 1 forced fumble.

Weatherspoon was the team leader in INT's, Tackles & Tackles for a loss; he was second on the team for sacks. He received Big XII defensive player of the week honors following his performance against Buffalo. He also received All Big XII defensive first team honors.

Impact Defensive newcomer: DT Sheldon Richardson (Fr.)

If Richardson doesn't redshirt, which a lot think won’t happen, he will be primed and ready to explode if given the opportunity. This highly touted recruit has all the tools to come in and make an immediate impact on the D-line. Missouri is in need of a good pass rusher that can pressure the QB and help compensate for a not so stellar secondary.

Since joining the Tigers in 2001, Pinkel has led the Tigers to a record of 59–41 and five post-season bowl appearances, three of which Missouri won. In 2007 Mizzou captured its first Big 12 North division title and earned them an inaugural trip to the Big 12 Championship Game against the Oklahoma Sooners. Until the Big 12 Championship game, the Tigers were the only team in college football to have scored at least 30 points in every game. The Tigers won over 9 games in a season for the first time since 1969, and were ranked #1 in the AP Poll for the first time since 1960.[6] The Tigers also achieved their highest BCS ranking in history, at #1 that year.

In 2008 Pinkel guided his Tigers to a second Big 12 North title and a chance to have back to back double digit win seasons. After the 2007 season, 2008 might be considered a disappointment with four losses including one to rival Kansas and again to Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game, but on December 29th Missouri helped redeem their season by defeating Northwestern 30-23 in an overtime win at the Alamo Bowl. This was the second season in a row that the Sooners defeated Missouri to win the Conference Championship. During the 2008 season Missouri’s potent offensive averaged 43 points per game. Despite four tough losses, the 2008 campaign concluded with a Big 12 North Championship, the first back to back 10 win season in Missouri history and an Alamo Bowl Championship.

2009 Preview:

With both teams losing key players at skill positions it will be interesting who will come into this one the favorite. If both teams are playing well and all the early season kinks are worked out of the systems look for one hell of a fight down in Columbia. This game will come down too who makes the biggest mistake. Both teams have the possibility to come into this game undefeated and ranked. The minor shake ups on the MU coaching staff could play a minor factor and the need for the defense to be more than lack luster is MU's only really exploited weakness from last season.

Because the teams are so even I would predict an MU win since its in Columbia and NU has to prove its self against MU over the past 7 seasons. My score prediction 31 MU - 24 NU. (IMHO, subject to change!) :cowbell:

NU vs. MU since '02

'02 W 24-13

'03 L 41-24

'04 W 24-3

'05 L 41-24

'06 W 34-20

'07 L 41-6

'08 L 52-17

i believe we need to shut the crowd up early and for the duration of the game in order for us to come out with a win.

:yeah

The road was friendly to us last year for the most part, excluding Oklahoma. Even TT was a pretty good road game even though we couldn't pull out the win. TT doesn't really have a hostile environment though <_<

I think talent vs. talent NU has the edge because of all the starters MU lost, and our defense is statistically better from last season and we only lost a few defensive starters. Intangibles, however, do go to MU because of our lack of ability to beat them in Columbia and the fact that most of their fans have it out for us.

It will be a good game, but I think we win :box

Anyone want to give an over/under on how many tires will get slashed on Nebraska vehicles?

Over 20.

If you want to avoid this, simply go buy Missouri Tiger license plate covers. Yeah, you will feel dirty driving around like that even in Missouri, but it will save you the few hundred dollars of replacing tires.

We did this in Columbia in the 90's. We bought some Tiger license plate covers and we ended up parking in an area with a lot of Nebraska vehicles. 4 cars to my left and right got their tires slashed, and ours remained safe.

Anyone want to give an over/under on how many tires will get slashed on Nebraska vehicles?

Over 20.

If you want to avoid this, simply go buy Missouri Tiger license plate covers. Yeah, you will feel dirty driving around like that even in Missouri, but it will save you the few hundred dollars of replacing tires.

We did this in Columbia in the 90's. We bought some Tiger license plate covers and we ended up parking in an area with a lot of Nebraska vehicles. 4 cars to my left and right got their tires slashed, and ours remained safe.

Of course, then you run the risk of having a NEBRASKA fan slash your tires.

I have a feeling that Mizzou will still be a pretty decent team, but if we can take the crowd out of it early, we will win this one. We are going to have to come out fast and score quickly and get them on their heels early in the game.

As of now, I see this game as a toss-up. There are just so many question marks for both teams. For the moment I'd give them the edge offensively and us the edge on defense. Being in Columbia is a huge advantage to Mizzou, as we'll both have inexperienced QBs. It will be key to keep Zach/Kody/Cody from getting rattled early, and also to keep Gabbert from finding a rhythm early. If it becomes a defensive battle, I like our chances. If we give up 4 touchdowns, I think we lose.

Over 20.

Of course, then you run the risk of having a NEBRASKA fan slash your tires.

Nebraska fans don't do those things :nanalama

• 7 months later...

Just dredging up an old topic but since its MU week I'd figure I'll bring it up. Well its 4 weeks into the season and I seem pretty spot on in my predictions so I'm thinking this one will be much the same. The only thing that might have changed is the fact that MU's defense is a little worse than I thought. But then again I'm not sold on Lee's ability to win games in a hostile enviroment...and yes it will be hostile. I honestly think it will come down to QB play in this one. Still give the slight edge to MU in this area, I'm expecting a close, close game.