2009 Big 12 Spring Preview

Nebraska Begins: March 21 Game: April 18

The early spring buzz … The last thing the reemerging power-program needs is any sort of off-the-field issues just when things are beginning to turn around, but it has to deal with the arrest of Barry Turner, who’s expected to be the team’s best pass rusher coming into the season. He was picked up for allegedly assaulting a woman in a fight, but the situation still has to play out. On the field, the thrilling win over Clemson in the Gator Bowl might have set the tone for the Bo Pelini era. No one’s expecting Nebraska to start crushing and killing everything in its path any time soon, but this might be the star of the North if things keep progressing as expected. There appears to be a sense that things are back on the right track under Pelini.

The big spring question is … Was the great second half of the season an indicator of big things to come, or was it a bit of a mirage? The Huskers had lost three straight and were 3-3, and then came the run winning six of the final seven games with the one loss coming at Oklahoma. Granted, it was the light part of the slate playing four of the Big 12 teams that didn’t go bowling, but one of the wins was against Kansas and the final one was against Clemson. The defense struggled, but the offense was steady, came through when needed, and the pass rush kept improving as the season went on. With Florida Atlantic and Arkansas State to start the season, the Huskers should get time to keep the streak going before going to Virginia Tech.

The most important position to watch is … Everyone revolved around the passing game. Not only do the Huskers have to replace QB Joe Ganz, but they need to find new playmakers at receiver after losing Todd Peterson and Nate Swift. The receiving issue isn’t that bad with Menelik Holt, Niles Paul, Chris Brooks, Will Henry, last year’s super-recruit Antonio Bell, and tight end Mike Mitchell all capable to fill the void. The quarterback situation is a bit more muddled with sophomore Patrick Witt and junior Zac Lee doing battle for the gig. Kody Spanos, who wasn’t in the mix last year, will get a shot this off-season to take the job.

Spring attitude … Win the North. With Missouri rebuilding and Kansas stuck with a brutal conference slate, Nebraska has to take advantage of the breaks to get back to the Big 12 title game for the first time since 2006. The conference road schedule is as easy as can be reasonably asked for going to Missouri, Baylor, Kansas and Colorado. There’s no Texas and no Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma has to come to Lincoln.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/844770.html

Pretty good overview but weird that they mention the Barry Turner deal but not the Patrick Witt transfer. Apparently they think Witt's still there!

This guy didn't do his research for very well. In the article (I didn't read the one you posted, I read the one from the website) he notices that Barry Turner got arrested last week but failed to know that Witt left the team? I think the quarterback news is a bit more important than some d-end who bit his girlfriend.

This guy didn't do his research for very well. In the article (I didn't read the one you posted, I read the one from the website) he notices that Barry Turner got arrested last week but failed to know that Witt left the team? I think the quarterback news is a bit more important than some d-end who bit his girlfriend.

cfn is very well known for this...along with spelling errors and such....I sometimes think there goal is quantity>quality

cfn is very well known for this...along with spelling errors and such....I sometimes think there goal is quantity>quality

Quantity has a quality all its own... :sarcasm

But not in this case.