Bo expects to take a "huge jump defensively"

Bo expects NU to take 'huge jump defensively'

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

• World-Herald Video: Coach's press conference

• NU Football Notes: Green hurt; Washington to try QB

• Tom Shatel: Pelini has list of chores to accomplish in 2009

LINCOLN - For the record, Nebraska ranked No. 2 in the Big 12 in total defense, No. 3 in rushing defense and No. 6 in scoring defense last year after being last in each category the season before.

But it was hard to find even a trace of satisfaction Tuesday in Husker coach Bo Pelini's voice.

"I have high expectations," Pelini said. "They're extremely high. We made a jump last year from what they were the year before, but we're nowhere near where I want us to play defensively. I expect to get there this year."

Pelini laid it out clearly as Nebraska prepares to start spring practice today. His plans are for the Huskers to make a "huge jump defensively" next season. The players' expectations need to match those of the staff.

And NU linebacker Blake Lawrence wasn't the least bit surprised to hear Pelini say any of it.

"Since he's come in, he's really shown that we're never going to be where he expects us to be," Lawrence said. "That's not a bad thing. It's a motivating thing, because he expects us to be at a level that we can't achieve until we're at the peak of our game and everything's going right.

"Coach Bo, wherever he's been the goal is No. 1. It's not No. 2. It's not Top 10, Top 5 or what not. It's to be the best."

Nebraska last season allowed roughly 10 fewer points and 125 fewer yards per game than the 2007 defense that Pelini was hired to repair. The 2008 Huskers held four of their last seven opponents below 300 total yards, but also got lit up for 62 points and 508 yards at Oklahoma, 52 points and 462 yards by Missouri and nearly 9 yards per play at Texas Tech.

Pelini said his team did some things "not characteristic of defenses that I want to be around."

Pelini said improvement would come with better discipline, focus and execution. Competing down after down. Better coaching.

"We were our own worst enemy a lot of the time," he said. "If we fix us - which I think we have a pretty good idea how to get done - and make sure our guys are smarter, more knowledgeable football players and play more consistently, I think we have a chance to be a lot better."

Overall, Nebraska nationally ranked No. 55 in total defense (349.8 yards per game) and No. 80 in scoring defense (28.5). The Huskers also forced just 17 turnovers in 13 games.

Lawrence said those numbers show that last season was "just a step."

"There are certain spots that might be open because someone that has played there before hasn't quite got what the coaches are totally expecting of him," Lawrence said. "So when we start doing things the way they're really meant to be and playing the way Coach Bo wants us, that's when we're going to be able to take this to the next level. The effort level is there, but now it's time to eliminate mental mistakes and play the game right."

As Pelini likes to say, it's pretty black and white with him. Very little gray.

"Everybody knows what's expected of them," NU nose tackle Ndamukong Suh said.

:restore:restore:w00t:w00t

When you weigh the losses at certain positions versus the potential talent coming in, and key guys like Suh and Asante still being there to lead, I expect the defense to move forward this season. According to the Sanders article, the secondary struggled with defensive concepts early on. I suppose that's to be expected in a new system. Now with guys having been through over a full year in Pelini's defense, I expect they'll be more confident by the time they hit the field in the fall.

Some things just take time.

When you weigh the losses at certain positions versus the potential talent coming in, and key guys like Suh and Asante still being there to lead, I expect the defense to move forward this season. According to the Sanders article, the secondary struggled with defensive concepts early on. I suppose that's to be expected in a new system. Now with guys having been through over a full year in Pelini's defense, I expect they'll be more confident by the time they hit the field in the fall.

At least this year the D will REACT instead of thinking and reacting - 1 year in the system will make a HUGE difference for all the players.

I am glad tomorrow I will be on vicodin after having the wisdom teeth finally pulled. When I come out of a coma for the weekend It will be that much closer to September. I think this year we turn that proverbial corner back to where Osborne left us. It's been a while since I had faith in an NU coach, Bo has given us a great outlook for many years to come.

At least this year the D will REACT instead of thinking and reacting - 1 year in the system will make a HUGE difference for all the players.

A confident secondary means we can unleash the front seven after opposing QB's. I'm expecting a lot more aggressive play calling. I like it. :clap

Damn is the season here yet?? I cant wait to see a defense that cuts down on the mental mistakes and really starts to take the wood to the opposing offenses.

But, as the former DC repeatedly said, "...against all these spread offenses there's only so much you can do..." :ahhhhhhhh

Thank you for not writing his name... Cant stand to see it.

Bo expects NU to take 'huge jump defensively'

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

• World-Herald Video: Coach's press conference

• NU Football Notes: Green hurt; Washington to try QB

• Tom Shatel: Pelini has list of chores to accomplish in 2009

LINCOLN - For the record, Nebraska ranked No. 2 in the Big 12 in total defense, No. 3 in rushing defense and No. 6 in scoring defense last year after being last in each category the season before.

But it was hard to find even a trace of satisfaction Tuesday in Husker coach Bo Pelini's voice.

"I have high expectations," Pelini said. "They're extremely high. We made a jump last year from what they were the year before, but we're nowhere near where I want us to play defensively. I expect to get there this year."

Pelini laid it out clearly as Nebraska prepares to start spring practice today. His plans are for the Huskers to make a "huge jump defensively" next season. The players' expectations need to match those of the staff.

And NU linebacker Blake Lawrence wasn't the least bit surprised to hear Pelini say any of it.

"Since he's come in, he's really shown that we're never going to be where he expects us to be," Lawrence said. "That's not a bad thing. It's a motivating thing, because he expects us to be at a level that we can't achieve until we're at the peak of our game and everything's going right.

"Coach Bo, wherever he's been the goal is No. 1. It's not No. 2. It's not Top 10, Top 5 or what not. It's to be the best."

Nebraska last season allowed roughly 10 fewer points and 125 fewer yards per game than the 2007 defense that Pelini was hired to repair. The 2008 Huskers held four of their last seven opponents below 300 total yards, but also got lit up for 62 points and 508 yards at Oklahoma, 52 points and 462 yards by Missouri and nearly 9 yards per play at Texas Tech.

Pelini said his team did some things "not characteristic of defenses that I want to be around."

Pelini said improvement would come with better discipline, focus and execution. Competing down after down. Better coaching.

"We were our own worst enemy a lot of the time," he said. "If we fix us - which I think we have a pretty good idea how to get done - and make sure our guys are smarter, more knowledgeable football players and play more consistently, I think we have a chance to be a lot better."

Overall, Nebraska nationally ranked No. 55 in total defense (349.8 yards per game) and No. 80 in scoring defense (28.5). The Huskers also forced just 17 turnovers in 13 games.

Lawrence said those numbers show that last season was "just a step."

"There are certain spots that might be open because someone that has played there before hasn't quite got what the coaches are totally expecting of him," Lawrence said. "So when we start doing things the way they're really meant to be and playing the way Coach Bo wants us, that's when we're going to be able to take this to the next level. The effort level is there, but now it's time to eliminate mental mistakes and play the game right."

As Pelini likes to say, it's pretty black and white with him. Very little gray.

"Everybody knows what's expected of them," NU nose tackle Ndamukong Suh said.

:restore:restore:w00t:w00t

Where did they rank nationally? The big 12 was HORRIBLE on defense and they played in the north division and didn't face OSU or Texas last year.