What's the deal with Dillard?

Cory Ross...was already a player under Solich.

Brandon Jackson....couldn't become the #1 guy and struggled for playing time.

I think it is odd that you say Brandon Jackson “struggled for playing time” but say Ross was “Already a player under Solich”. If I’m not mistaken it took Ross until almost the end of the 2003 season because of injuries to get on the field that year (72% of carries for year came in last 4 games of that year). You hold it against Jackson to make a point that the previous staff stunk and use it to boost up Ross in trying to not give the previous staff any credit. Whatever though a kid did good under Billy C it was all the player, a kid does bad it was all the coaching, a kid does good under Bo it is coaching, a kid does bad it is the player. :dunno<_<

Stew Bradley is a player that the previous staff helped become better. dedhoarse

Dan Titchener is another player that was better under the previous staff. dedhoarse

As far as Dillard goes hasn’t he always had weight issues? Hasn’t he been injury prone? Maybe the old crap with his recruitment (even if we don’t want to believe it) plays into player/coach relations. Maybe some of the younger guys are just better or maybe Dillard has an attitude problem and this is the staff’s way of dealing with it. I don’t know and with the secrecy of this staff we will probably never know.

dillard has been an over hyped, under achiever since he got here, plain and simple. Eck sees something he doesn't like and i suspect whatever it is, it is no surpirse to Dillard either. fish or cut bait, it's his Senior season, there should have been "focused" preparation!

I don't buy the notion that Dilliard was over-hyped. I think he was more a victim of circumstance(s) than anything else. After all, really none of the Nebraska players ever really blossomed or excelled under the previous coaching staff.

A little dramatic.

Name some players then...

Adam Carriker, Dane Todd, Cory Ross, Brandon Jackson, Zac Taylor... There are probably many that I'm neglecting. I think each of these excelled...but I guess that's just my opinion.

None of those guys you listed "blossomed" under the previous staff. Their respective athletic ability is what enabled them to do what they did.

Adam Carriker...stud despite the previous coaching staff.

Cory Ross...was already a player under Solich.

Brandon Jackson....couldn't become the #1 guy and struggled for playing time.

Zac Taylor...was a jc guy so he doesn't really fit.

Over all, I'll give you Zac Taylor even though he was a jc guy. Still, that's a .25, 1 of 4, based on the names you've given, success rate...

In the final analysis of the previous coaching regime they were utter failures at everything. It's not that they recruited "bad" talent; it is just that they couldn't develop that talent. In other words, the previous staff would recruit great players out of high school and through their staggering incompetence the players would actually regress.

I disagree. I am glad that BC and Co. are gone and that Bo is here, but to say that they accomplished nothing disparages both the players and the team. We could argue this for days, but I don't think either of us would budge. Therefore, I'm going to let it go.

GBR.

Why are you scared? We are 4 deep at the position, and they were all highly ranked comming in. Yeah, its a little scary breaking in a brand new QB, but I love how Watson adjusts the system to fit his QB's strength. I think there is a chance that Washington could beat out Green in the future.

I suspect you really enjoy stirring the pot. Weren't you really high on Cody Green? Now a LB who hasn't played QB since high school is going to challenge him?? Hmmmm. Probably doesn't matter either way. Lee's got a few years left.

I'm still really high on Green, but if Washington really has a cannon for an arm, and he is a duel threat, he has a shot. They are both even right now when it comes to the play book, so you never know what could happen. You are right though, the other QB's have been under center a lot more than him, since he has not played QB since h.s. It will be fun to see if he develops.

Well if you want to get technical, Washington has only had it for a week and Green has been studying it since he got to campus in January. Unless there are some guidelines as far as showing the playbook to players (which I doubt there is), Green has had it for months longer.

And on the discussion of players blossoming under the previous staff, there isn't a single freshman they recruited that I would say "excelled". The players that did the best (Carriker for example) weren't even their recruits. Just look at 2007, when all of their recruits were finally the majority of the players on the field....they failed.

And on the discussion of players blossoming under the previous staff, there isn't a single freshman they recruited that I would say "excelled". The players that did the best (Carriker for example) weren't even their recruits. Just look at 2007, when all of their recruits were finally the majority of the players on the field....they failed.

Ummmm....Bjax was a Cally recruit. I'd say he excelled. Getting drafted in the second round as a junior seems "decent." (We could find more...but since we are dealing with a "single" freshman this should be sufficient.)

So what category do Watson and Gilmore fall under? Are they previous staff when it comes to players not “developing” and are they current staff when it comes to players “developing?

If they are previous then do they get no credit for the development of “Lovebug” Ganz, Nate Swift and Todd Peterson? Or does the development of those players that came through the system under the previous staff get counted towards the current staff? Thus Watson and Gilmore get the credit for being on the current staff.

I know the transfer talk has come up with Dillard, so here is what I’m wondering. If he isn’t in the top 2 units when spring ball is over do you think he will look elsewhere for his final season of play? It is not unheard of for a senior with a redshirt year left to go elsewhere.

So what category do Watson and Gilmore fall under? Are they previous staff when it comes to players not “developing” and are they current staff when it comes to players “developing?

If they are previous then do they get no credit for the development of “Lovebug” Ganz, Nate Swift and Todd Peterson? Or does the development of those players that came through the system under the previous staff get counted towards the current staff? Thus Watson and Gilmore get the credit for being on the current staff.

I know the transfer talk has come up with Dillard, so here is what I’m wondering. If he isn’t in the top 2 units when spring ball is over do you think he will look elsewhere for his final season of play? It is not unheard of for a senior with a redshirt year left to go elsewhere.

Billy C was running the offensive show when he was here, so Watson can hardly be counted as the 'last staff' because his job was basically to sit and rock in a dark corner. But it is a little short-sighted to think that nothing but blackness and death came out of the previous regime. Yes they were incompetent as coaches, yes they were atrocious motivators, but credit must be given where credit is due. They left us with options at a few positions, and the facilities are like the hanging gardens of Babylon in the football world.

As for Dillard, it'll be interesting to see how the rest of spring shakes out. It depends on what his problem is to begin with. Hopefully it's at least something he can get fixed.

Ummmm....Bjax was a Cally recruit. I'd say he excelled. Getting drafted in the second round as a junior seems "decent." (We could find more...but since we are dealing with a "single" freshman this should be sufficient.)

So about this Suh guy. Not Bo's work - he was a Cally recruit. When he's a first round pick next year, I hope you credit Callahan and Cosgrove and the staff that recruited him. You're going to do that, right? <_<

So about this Suh guy. Not Bo's work - he was a Cally recruit. When he's a first round pick next year, I hope you credit Callahan and Cosgrove and the staff that recruited him. You're going to do that, right? <_<

What? Not sure where you are going with that. Suh is a clear example of this staff's ability to motivate and coach up talent. I referenced Bjax because he was both recruited and coached by the previous staff...I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

And a disclaimer here: I think Cally and Co were a very bad choice to coach at NE. However some people refuse to acknowledge ANY sort of positive. It almost reminds me of politics....many agree that W. was a bad president...but some people refuse to acknowledge ANY sort of positives that came out of his administration. Unfortunately in the real world there are far more gray's than black's and white's. Anyways, I appreciate the (probably few) good things that Cally and Co gave us, but I am ecstatic that we now have Bo as the head coach.

GBR.

Wrong. He was Callahans recruit, but he is Bo and Carl's work. He would not be even close to a first round pick if he was not coached by the Pelini's, so why would we give any credit to those idiots? I thank them for bringing him to NU, and then getting fired, so coaches that know how to develope talent could come in and do the job that they should have done.

Cliff notes:

1. Carriker - Solich recruit, excelled under Callahan.

2. Bjax - Callahan recruit, excelled under Callahan.

3. Suh - Callahan recruit, excelled under Bo.

(edit: I suppose there is this as well... 4. Dillard - Callahan recruit, excelled under neither...so far...)

Hopefully under Bo and co. we see a lot more of Option 2 (Bo recruit, excelled under Bo) than we did under Cally and Co.