What's the deal with Dillard?

MIKE competition strong

Experience isn't granting anyone the upperhand in the competition for Nebraska’s starting MIKE linebacker spot.

Senior Phillip Dillard, whose 33 games played are the most among returning linebackers, is “down there” on the depth chart, linebackers coach Mike Ekeler said after Wednesday’s practice, the first of the spring.

“We’ll see how things shake out,” Ekeler said. “But right now, he’s down a ways.”

Dillard started five games last season but missed the final four games of the regular season because of an ankle injury. Ekeler said Dillard is now healthy.

So what’s happened?

“I really don’t want to get into all of that,” Ekeler said. “But there are certain things that we ask. I’ll just leave it at that.”

Among those players contending for time at MIKE, including Dillard, are senior walk-on Colton Koehler, sophomore walk-on Mathew May and redshirted freshman Will Compton.

Ekeler said May will swing at MIKE and WILL and “see how it goes from there.”

From the LJS blog

Former starting MIKE linebacker Phillip Dillard began NU's spring football practice in an unfamiliar place: At the back of the line. Dillard was standing with the third and fourth units during early stretching drills, an unlikely place for a guy who was expected to be one of the defensive leaders in 2009.

"Right now, he's down there," linebackers coach Mike Ekeler said. "We'll see how things shake out, but he's down aways."

Why?

"There's some things that we ask," Ekeler said. "I'll just leave it at that."

Right now, Colton Koehler and Matt May are working ahead of Dillard at the MIKE position. May could also swing back to WILL linebacker, where he played last year.

"I love that kid," Ekeler said of May. "At the end of the day, he's going to find his role on the field. He already has. He's just going to keep getting better and better. We're going to put him to work."

from huskerlocker.com

The deal with P. Dillard is there are better players in front of him plain and simple. He is just too slow to play LB at the D1 level.

Stoops and Co. were right, given his frame and propensity to gain weight, he should've been redshirted and bulked up to play DT in college. Chalk this one up for Boo Blake wooing Dillard to play LB.

As for the big name rumor a month or so back that people were floating around about quitting the team, this was my guess.

The deal with P. Dillard is there are better players in front of him plain and simple. He is just too slow to play LB at the D1 level.

Stoops and Co. were right, given his frame and propensity to gain weight, he should've been redshirted and bulked up to play DT in college. Chalk this one up for Boo Blake wooing Dillard to play LB.

As for the big name rumor a month or so back that people were floating around about quitting the team, this was my guess.

Yep, he is too damn slow. Bo wants speed, speed and more speed.

Yep, he is too damn slow. Bo wants speed, speed and more speed.

Hopefully Mr. Compton is ready to play a big load in his first year on the field for us.

I couldn't care any less what Dillard's problem is, I really don't mean to bad mouth him he is a Husker. I just have never been impressed with his play, he has never seemed dominate, or a real playmaker. Mabye one of the younger guys are ready to upgrade our lb play. These older guys are either going to get on the Bo train or they will get left behind. That's a good thing! No mercy! No favorites!

GBR

Sounds to me like the coaches are trying to light a fire under his a$$ or he didn't report to camp in shape.

Being out of shape will get you in any coach's doghouse in a big hurry.

I'd like to thnk your right. But guys coming off injuries are a crap shoot after they return. Matt Herian is one I can think of off hand that never got going again.

What seems clear is that Eck and the gang expect certain things of the players, and for whatever reason Dillard isn't on par with that at the present time. Personally I hope whatever the issue is, he gets it resolved and fast. Attitude, training, technique, off-field stuff––whatever. It seems better to me to have him playing 100% than sitting on the bench. Even if he's no longer the crown prince of the MIKE spot, he's one ACL tear away from being right back on the field again. Whatever is going on with him, I think everyone would agree he's of more use to the team on it and committed than riding the pine.

Well I would like to see Dillard step-up, however I am glad that this coaching staff does not gaurantee a starting role to someone simply because they are a senior....

Oh you mean like Callahan?

<_<

I say give the job to Koehler.

i say give it to the best player at that position.

Well I would like to see Dillard step-up, however I am glad that this coaching staff does not gaurantee a starting role to someone simply because they are a senior....

Oh you mean like Callahan?

<_<

I say give the job to Koehler.

i say give it to the best player at that position.

:yeah I think this may go back to last year as well. Dillard was supposedly cleared to play towards the end of the season, many seemed to think then that the coaches were underselling the extent of his injury but I am not so sure now. I think when he came back to practices he got beat out for playing time plain and simple. He probably didn't help himself in the offseason either, but I think he may of seen the writing on the wall since the Gator Bowl prep.