What's the deal with Dillard?

I hope I am reading way too much into it, but it seems very strange to me that we take a player entering into his junior year and push him over to QB. To me, this means he will never have a shot at playing LB and we're just filling space with him or the coaches don't feel comfortable with the QB's we have. Even in the NC years, we really didn't have 4 QB's. When Frazier went down to injury and Berringer got banged up, we brought in lowly walk on Matt Turman. You can't tell me we don't have a walk on QB on the roster.

The difference between then and now is the number of throws our QB's are asked to make. The coaches have mentioned this as a concern and a main reason why, besides obviously wanting a full stable of backups incase of injury. They have a hole and need to fill it. They do have a few Walk on options as well, but they will give Washington a shot since he was a pretty highly touted QB in HS. He wasn't making headway on the LB depthchart so why not let him try and compete at another position?

Sipple said he thought that Koehler beat him out for the Gator bowl, and they he still wasnt injured as it was reported

I would agree with that. I've heard other reports, not just from Sip, about this exact thing. His injury wasn't one that should have kept him down for so long, which leads me to believe there was something extra keeping off the playing field.

I can't see him transferring as someone stated. He would only have 1 year to play, after sitting out a year (using his red-shirt), unless he went DII, which he would still only have 1 year......

My bet is Compton will beat him out and see a majority of the PT..... The coaches are high on Williams too...even as a freshman...

dillard has been an over hyped, under achiever since he got here, plain and simple. Eck sees something he doesn't like and i suspect whatever it is, it is no surpirse to Dillard either. fish or cut bait, it's his Senior season, there should have been "focused" preparation!

Maybe not so much over-hyped, just he hasn't been able to stay healthy and play to his potential, which is his fault.

Why are you scared? We are 4 deep at the position, and they were all highly ranked comming in. Yeah, its a little scary breaking in a brand new QB, but I love how Watson adjusts the system to fit his QB's strength. I think there is a chance that Washington could beat out Green in the future.

I suspect you really enjoy stirring the pot. Weren't you really high on Cody Green? Now a LB who hasn't played QB since high school is going to challenge him?? Hmmmm. Probably doesn't matter either way. Lee's got a few years left.

I hope I am reading way too much into it, but it seems very strange to me that we take a player entering into his junior year and push him over to QB. To me, this means he will never have a shot at playing LB and we're just filling space with him or the coaches don't feel comfortable with the QB's we have. Even in the NC years, we really didn't have 4 QB's. When Frazier went down to injury and Berringer got banged up, we brought in lowly walk on Matt Turman. You can't tell me we don't have a walk on QB on the roster.

The difference between then and now is the number of throws our QB's are asked to make. The coaches have mentioned this as a concern and a main reason why, besides obviously wanting a full stable of backups incase of injury. They have a hole and need to fill it. They do have a few Walk on options as well, but they will give Washington a shot since he was a pretty highly touted QB in HS. He wasn't making headway on the LB depthchart so why not let him try and compete at another position?

Besides Kellogg arriving this fall, what other walk on QBs are there? I'm not seeing them on the roster.

As for Dillard I think he will be overtaken by superior talent and will just be spelling the starters this season.

dillard has been an over hyped, under achiever since he got here, plain and simple. Eck sees something he doesn't like and i suspect whatever it is, it is no surpirse to Dillard either. fish or cut bait, it's his Senior season, there should have been "focused" preparation!

I don't buy the notion that Dilliard was over-hyped. I think he was more a victim of circumstance(s) than anything else. After all, really none of the Nebraska players ever really blossomed or excelled under the previous coaching staff.

Why are you scared? We are 4 deep at the position, and they were all highly ranked comming in. Yeah, its a little scary breaking in a brand new QB, but I love how Watson adjusts the system to fit his QB's strength. I think there is a chance that Washington could beat out Green in the future.

I suspect you really enjoy stirring the pot. Weren't you really high on Cody Green? Now a LB who hasn't played QB since high school is going to challenge him?? Hmmmm. Probably doesn't matter either way. Lee's got a few years left.

I'm still really high on Green, but if Washington really has a cannon for an arm, and he is a duel threat, he has a shot. They are both even right now when it comes to the play book, so you never know what could happen. You are right though, the other QB's have been under center a lot more than him, since he has not played QB since h.s. It will be fun to see if he develops.

I don't buy the notion that Dilliard was over-hyped. I think he was more a victim of circumstance(s) than anything else. After all, really none of the Nebraska players ever really blossomed or excelled under the previous coaching staff.

A little dramatic.

A little dramatic.

Name some players then...

A little dramatic.

Adam Carriker, Dane Todd, Cory Ross, Brandon Jackson, Zac Taylor... There are probably many that I'm neglecting. I think each of these excelled...but I guess that's just my opinion.

^ exactly. The previous staff didn't work out, and it's true, 2004 and last year were epicly awful. But people have a tendency to act like nothing good came out of that staff. Which is plain wrong.

A good example of this: some players that succeed under Callahan/Cosgrove, people are eager to write off as "oh, Solich's recruits." Even if they blossomed under Callahan and Cosgrove.

Of course, nobody is saying that about players like Ndamukong Suh or our well-stocked O-line. We also won't admit the great work Callahan & our much-derided, but still present west coast offense did with guys such as Taylor and Ganz.

It does not sound good right now with Dillard, but I don't buy that he's a "victim of the circumstances" as you say. He's had two years to work with some extremely able defensive minds and he has showed promise. Look what Glenn did last year. It's all up to him. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but we will have to wait and see on that. It's still early.

A little dramatic.

Adam Carriker, Dane Todd, Cory Ross, Brandon Jackson, Zac Taylor... There are probably many that I'm neglecting. I think each of these excelled...but I guess that's just my opinion.

None of those guys you listed "blossomed" under the previous staff. Their respective athletic ability is what enabled them to do what they did.

Adam Carriker...stud despite the previous coaching staff.

Cory Ross...was already a player under Solich.

Brandon Jackson....couldn't become the #1 guy and struggled for playing time.

Zac Taylor...was a jc guy so he doesn't really fit.

Over all, I'll give you Zac Taylor even though he was a jc guy. Still, that's a .25, 1 of 4, based on the names you've given, success rate...

In the final analysis of the previous coaching regime they were utter failures at everything. It's not that they recruited "bad" talent; it is just that they couldn't develop that talent. In other words, the previous staff would recruit great players out of high school and through their staggering incompetence the players would actually regress.

A little dramatic.

None of those guys you listed "blossomed" under the previous staff. Their respective athletic ability is what enabled them to do what they did.

Adam Carriker...stud despite the previous coaching staff.

Cory Ross...was already a player under Solich.

Brandon Jackson....couldn't become the #1 guy and struggled for playing time.

Zac Taylor...was a jc guy so he doesn't really fit.

Over all, I'll give you Zac Taylor even though he was a jc guy. Still, that's a .25, 1 of 4, based on the names you've given, success rate...

In the final analysis of the previous coaching regime they were utter failures at everything. It's not that they recruited "bad" talent; it is just that they couldn't develop that talent. In other words, the previous staff would recruit great players out of high school and through their staggering incompetence the players would actually regress.

wow! <_<