Huskers reveal new "Check with me" defense

I presented the same Defensive playbook to Chizek last year but he chose to go with the "Make pathetic attempt at arm tackle and then make theatric dive 10 feet beind ballcarrier to look good on TV" defense instead...

But before all that, I bet he also said get pumped up for the game by running into the goal post <_<

I honestly don't see this working well. Like someone else said, teams that run the no huddle offense do not change formations when they look to the sidelines...all they do is run a different play out of the same formation most of the time. So we could get caught changing our defensive play and give up big plays real easy.

Also, what exactly are we gonna check to? Switch from man to man to a cover 2? Blitz a linebacker or safety? Stunt the linemen? How would any of this counter act what they are switching to, especially when we don't even know what they are switching to.

I can see it now.....Oklahoma lines up in shotgun and we are in a base defense....they look over to the sideline and switch to a play with their wr running a deep fly route...we check to a defense which blitzes the corner who would have been covering their wr. Oklahoma goes 80yds for a TD.

Why cant we just line up and play solid defense and stop trying to trick people. Its like Callahan and all of his trick plays on offense...give me a break.

:hellloooo

Okay let's look at this from the other perspective...

Oklahoma lines up in a shotgun trips right set and the Huskers are in a base nickel cover two look and the call is to drop into an intermediate zone. OU checks, then the Huskers check. After the check NU dials up a CB blitz on the weak side, the OU OL doesn't pick it up and Prince Amukamara comes off the edge hitting Sam Bradford so hard he fumbles which is promptly picked up by Suh who rumbles into the endzone for a TD.

:corndance

that sounds so easy in theory, but i have this strange feeling it'd be like asking fox to actually research topics before saying inane things about the topic they should have researched.

I honestly don't see this working well. Like someone else said, teams that run the no huddle offense do not change formations when they look to the sidelines...all they do is run a different play out of the same formation most of the time. So we could get caught changing our defensive play and give up big plays real easy.

Also, what exactly are we gonna check to? Switch from man to man to a cover 2? Blitz a linebacker or safety? Stunt the linemen? How would any of this counter act what they are switching to, especially when we don't even know what they are switching to.

I can see it now.....Oklahoma lines up in shotgun and we are in a base defense....they look over to the sideline and switch to a play with their wr running a deep fly route...we check to a defense which blitzes the corner who would have been covering their wr. Oklahoma goes 80yds for a TD.

Why cant we just line up and play solid defense and stop trying to trick people. Its like Callahan and all of his trick plays on offense...give me a break.

Oklahoma lines up in a shotgun trips right set and the Huskers are in a base nickel cover two look and the call is to drop into an intermediate zone. OU checks, then the Huskers check. After the check NU dials up a CB blitz on the weak side, the OU OL doesn't pick it up and Prince Amukamara comes off the edge hitting Sam Bradford so hard he fumbles which is promptly picked up by Suh who rumbles into the endzone for a TD.

that sounds so easy in theory, but i have this strange feeling it'd be like asking fox to actually research topics before saying inane things about the topic they should have researched.

Sounds like someones been spending to much time on the PS3 this off season! :lol: Am I wrong? Although seeing Bradford eating a lil Memorial stadium field turf this fall will be sweet. And I personally can't wait!

I dont understand why everyone is so worried about how this can't work. I mean the offense audibles based off the defense coverage shown so if the defense audibles out. Then the offenses audible is completely blown so I can see this working very well with Bo and Carl calling covereges. Now if it was someone like Cosgrove..... snowball chance in hell. I predict with this new system many forced time outs and delay of games because the offense wont have a clue, which can lead to many more turnovers, but with more risk there could be some blown covereges but after OU last year I like the upside.

Sounds like someones been spending to much time on the PS3 this off season! :lol: Am I wrong? Although seeing Bradford eating a lil Memorial stadium field turf this fall will be sweet. And I personally can't wait!

Agreed. There is a much higher chance of Prince coming off the edge, hitting Bradford causing the fumble, picking it up and scoring the TD himself.