Huskers reveal new "Check with me" defense

Not gonna lie, but this is getting frustrating.

“It’s going to be great for us,” said defensive end Pierre Allen. “They’re probably not going to know that we can do it, too.”

Are you freaking kidding me? They're not going to know you're going to have a system that you blab to the papers about? Is it going to be like our brilliant new defensive gameplan against Missouri, or how we talked about how we were going to throw a lot of quick slants against OU?

Maybe I'm missing something

I don't know...if you are an opposing offensive coach, what exactly does this reveal that you can prepare for? You don't know if it means bringing pressure, backing into a zone, etc. The way I see it is that it gives our opponents one more thing to worry about and attempt to prepare for. It should be all the more frustrating for them because they KNOW that we are going to be doing something different but they will have to guess at what that is. I think the advantage of forcing teams to try to prepare for something that they don't have details on outweighs the one game (or play!) benefit of springing it on someone.

I just hope that Bo doesn't try to get to cute with it, a la Missouri game last year. I think he probably learned his lesson, and I fully support him trying to experiment with new schemes.

GBR.

I'm surprised it has taken this long for the whole "check with me" concept to make it's way over to the defensive side of the ball.

I'm surprised at how good of a poster you are. Keep up the good work.

Say what? :wtf

Come on guys!! Can we say "sexist?" :wacko: I know you mean well, just try not to sound so.....what's the word???? Oh yeah........chauvinistic.......Sorry Jen.......we are but mere men, please forgive us!

“It’s going to be great for us,” said defensive end Pierre Allen. “They’re probably not going to know that we can do it, too.”

Are you freaking kidding me? They're not going to know you're going to have a system that you blab to the papers about? Is it going to be like our brilliant new defensive gameplan against Missouri, or how we talked about how we were going to throw a lot of quick slants against OU?

Yes you are...

Pierre Allen said, and I quote, "They’re probably not going to know that we can do it"

Which is completely different from, as you said,

"They're not going to know you're going to have a system that you blab to the papers about?"

One = knowing while the other = doing and they are completely different constructs. See the difference?

I'm surprised it has taken this long for the whole "check with me" concept to make it's way over to the defensive side of the ball.

I'm surprised at how good of a poster you are. Keep up the good work.

Say what? :wtf

Come on guys!! Can we say "sexist?" :wacko: I know you mean well, just try not to sound so.....what's the word???? Oh yeah........chauvinistic.......Sorry Jen.......we are but mere men, please forgive us!

No way that was really meant as sexist...but it is really nice to see a female with the knowledge of Husker football that Jen does have...and isn't afraid to express it. I think Jen is great! And that is without knowing what she looks like, or how old she is, or anything like that. So I hope she didn't take it in the wrong vain...

No way that was really meant as sexist...but it is really nice to see a female with the knowledge of Husker football that Jen does have...and isn't afraid to express it. I think Jen is great! And that is without knowing what she looks like, or how old she is, or anything like that. So I hope she didn't take it in the wrong vain...

I just picture this Jen head shotav-6442.jpg on this husker body shot Picture204712.jpg adding her knowledge of husker football, and football in general, the best of all worlds. :horns2

I just picture this Jen head shotav-6442.jpg on this husker body shot Picture204712.jpg adding her knowledge of husker football, and football in general, the best of all worlds. :horns2

:facepalm:

All the check with me system does is allow an offensive coaching staff to comunicate a weakness in the defense to the quarterback so that he can put the ball in the hands of the player who can do the most damage. The defensive coaches will be looking to anticipate what the weaknesses might be before the start of the play and shore those up. So its not going to be a situation where the offense sends in a check and the defense reacts to it. Call it sparing, but hardly revolutionary thinking. :box Reality is that football still comes down to the same few objectives. Block, tackle.

Me, too, although something tells me that may have been the case. It really makes no difference to me if the poster is male/female or not. If they know what they are talking about and are insightful, I'm a fan. I'm pretty sure I've given the same response before to posters and I will do so again. GBR.

aside from the semantics.....last year, as i remember, was Bo's first year coaching, so i sure wouldn't expect him to "load every one's plate" with more than they could transition to, knowing the whole system installed was unfamiliar to them all. not surprising we didn't see a "check with me" variation on the D.

the focus was rightly on fundamentals and effort. <_<

the focus was rightly on fundamentals and effort. <_<

I think it will probably remain that way too. I'm sure they will implement some new concepts/ideas this year, but I think fundamentally speaking we aren't going to stray much further this year.

Come on with the pictures guys!? Grow up some and don't give her such a hard time.

This defensive plan definately makes sense as defenses have been having a problem with the no-huddle offenses. It was only a matter of time before someone came up with a plan to help slow them down or counter them. I'm just glad that Bo and company thought of it first! :lol:

Yes you are...

Pierre Allen said, and I quote, "They’re probably not going to know that we can do it"

Which is completely different from, as you said,

"They're not going to know you're going to have a system that you blab to the papers about?"

One = knowing while the other = doing and they are completely different constructs. See the difference?

Not sure what you are getting at. I'm aware that knowing and doing are two different words. Still. Is Allen not saying, at least implicitly, that "we'll be able to do it but they probably won't know that we will be able to"? I mean there's much talk about this being a surprise tactic. I don't see how the element of surprise is preserved here:

“I have yet to see a defensive team do it, so we might be one of the first. It could be surprising,” Lawrence said.

West said he’s excited to debut the strategy on unsuspecting no-huddle opponents.

“At any given time, we’ve got to look over to the sidelines and know the signal,” Allen said. “We could switch up to something completely different, so you’ve got to be focused.”

As another poster said, maybe they are not giving away too much that an offense could prepare for anyway. But it just seems kind of like "hey everyone! guess what! we just came up with this brand new strategy where defenders do such-and-such!! can't wait to surprise you all with it!!" Maybe it's not that bad.

guys, i'm for any defense that will control, contain and stop a spread.

that being said, there is nothing in the article that actually gives anything *specifically* away.

bottom line, they're gonna look over to bo and carl on the sidelines and figure out if they need to make a last minute adjustment. it's not like they're posting detailed breakdowns of their defensive schemes to their myspace webpages.