Nebraska Among Toughest College Coaching Jobs

Found this interesting. The author, whose name appears at the end, is in Texas. Pretty accurate, IMO.

Top 10 toughest college coaching jobs

1. KENTUCKY BASKETBALL This is Pressure U - just ask new ex-coach Billy Gillispie. A few years ago, the school distributed 23,000 free tickets in 45 minutes - to see Midnight Madness.

2. ALABAMA FOOTBALL Ex-Tide coach Gene Stallings used to spend hours signing autographs - when he went to Wal-Mart for a nut or bolt.

3. NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL Fighting Irish alumni are everywhere. Winning seasons are not. Soon Charlie Weis won’t be there either. Hello, Urban Meyer?

4. LSU FOOTBALL Les Miles and ex-coach Nick Saban brought the Tigers two titles this decade, but Baton Rouge faithful showered everything but love on Saban during his return - albeit as head coach of Alabama.

5. OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL Big-time Bob is starting to feel the sting of all those Bowl Championship Series losses and poor game plans. Hint: Don’t make any Boise State jokes around Stoops.

6. NORTH CAROLINA BASKETBALL Before finally luring Roy Williams home, the Tar Heel family treated Bill Guthridge and Matt Doherty pretty rudely. Doherty resigned after three years, including an 8-20 season.

7. OHIO STATE FOOTBALL The championship was nice and all, Mr. Tressel, but fans are getting restless over these BCS losses to Texas, Florida and LSU.

8. MICHIGAN FOOTBALL Wolverines chased off proven winner Lloyd Carr for Rich Rodriguez, but the 108,500 fans who crowd the Big House for eight games this fall won’t tolerate losses to Toledo - much less Ohio State - for long.

9. NEBRASKA FOOTBALL Hey, Michigan, that change in philosophy doesn’t always work out all that well. Let us know if you need Bill Callahan’s forwarding address. Boos were even heard inside Memorial Stadium, and not for the visiting team.

10. TEXAS FOOTBALL Maybe this is too high - or too low - but Austin isn’t the football hotbed many think it is. Consider that the next time Baylor or Iowa State comes to town. This job’s down the list only because 10-win Mack keeps the wolves at bay. Throw in an 8-4 season, and it zooms up the list to maybe the top five.

SOME OTHER TOUGH GIGS Arkansas football/basketball, Tennessee football, Auburn football, Kansas basketball, Miami football, UCLA basketball, Clemson football.

- Kirk Bohls, Austin (Texas) American-Statesman

The full article makes it clear that the list is "pressure to win, or else", and the high expectations of the job.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp.../0401bohls.html (might need free registration to view)

One thing that makes the Nebraska job a bit easier is lack of a rivalry game. Lose 2 or 3 in a row of Auburn-Alabama, Ohio St-Michigan, Texas-Oklahoma, and your butt is on the line. Remember the pressure Osborne had after losing his first 6 to OU when that was a rivalry game?

Texas has both OU and A&M as huge rivalry games, and fans won't put up with too many losses to TTech either. As far as general "toughness" though, I agree it's not so tough. You have to be an idiot (Mackovic) to lose a lot of games there, with recruiting as easy as it is, and they have the best facilities, thanks to Joe Jamail and other big boosters. There's so much talent in Texas, and UT is THE place to go for many (not all) kids, that I bet the UT staff has to work the least of any D1A school serious about winning. Even losing a share to OU, A&M, Tech, and others, they do a lot of cherry picking and probably get more immediate commits when they offer than any other school.

TBH this is more like, what are the most prestigious jobs. Pressure alone doesn't make the place hard. Texas doesn't belong anywhere on that list, sure they have high expectations, but it isn't one of the toughest places to coach.

:yeah

"The eyes of Texas are upon you..." Yeah right! It's not near the pressure like Nebraska, and I say that knowing that here in Austin we have die hard college football fans that root for the Horns, Aggies, Raiders etc.

Unlike Nebraska where if you are not in the Stadium you can walk into any business and hear the game and you can ask for the score without clarifying what teams!

I put Alabama as #1, I have a little joke I made up:

If the president were to be assasinated, the headlines of every paper in the state of Alabama would not read "Obama Assasinated" but would read something like "Saban thinks terrorists were afoot in Obama assasination, race heats up for QB as Spring Drills resume!"

If the president were to be assasinated, the headlines of every paper in the state of Alabama would not read "Obama Assasinated" but would read something like "Saban thinks terrorists were afoot in Obama assasination, race heats up for QB as Spring Drills resume!"

I'd agree Bama has more pressure than Kentucky. In Alabama all they have is football. When Bear died the state shut down. It was as if a president's funeral was going on when Bear was being buried.

Kentucky loves its basketball, but it also has horse racing and other things in the state. Just look at the number of coaches Bama has run off since Bear's death.

I'd agree Bama has more pressure than Kentucky. In Alabama all they have is football. When Bear died the state shut down. It was as if a president's funeral was going on when Bear was being buried.

Kentucky loves its basketball, but it also has horse racing and other things in the state. Just look at the number of coaches Bama has run off since Bear's death.

and the scary thing is that there are two schools here with Auburn which is no slouch program, imagine is Alabama was like Nebraska where there was only one game in town, scary....lol