Top 5 "worst Husker moments" in the modern era

1. Beat down in Lubbock, 70-10, in 2004

2. Firing a head coach who had better than a 75% winning percentage (Solich) in 2003.

3. Offering the head coaching job to Houston Nutt, of all people, WHO THEN TURNED IT DOWN (ouch, that hurt!)

4. Hiring Bill Callahan (the official beginning of the dark years).

5. The beat down at the Rose Bowl (one could argue that this was the beginning of the dark years), that occurred in January 2002.

Bonus: The beat down at Colorado in 2001, which may well have precipitated numbers 5, 2, 4, and 1.

1. TO's retirement after 1998 Orange Bowl

2. Hiring Solich instead of Turner Gill or Ron Brown, killed program by hiring a HC, that could not RECRUIT! Husker's talent level on offense was dropping to SERVICE ACADEMY levels!

3. 1996 Big XII title loss to UT, a team they should never have lost to!

4. 1999 road loss to UT, a team they should have never lost to! Eventually cost Solich his job, because a win in that game and they win the MNC over FSU or VA Tech, that team was rolling late in season!

5. Allowing Callahan to undo the PROGRAM!

2. Firing a head coach who had better than a 75% winning percentage (Solich) in 2003.

3. Offering the head coaching job to Houston Nutt, of all people, WHO THEN TURNED IT DOWN (ouch, that hurt!)

5. The beat down at the Rose Bowl (one could argue that this was the beginning of the dark years), that occurred in January 2002.

Bonus: The beat down at Colorado in 2001, which may well have precipitated numbers 5, 2, 4, and 1.

Actually, the #3 was probably the biggest kick in the nutts we've ever had here at NU. Nutt is a pretty good recruiter, but he is a pretty bad coach. He has like one good season every 5 years or so. For us to offer him was bad enough. For him to use us as a bargaining chip with Arkansas, unforgiveable.

At the time considering the cluster of a mess Pud had already created, #4 didn't seem like a "worst Husker moment". Yeah, it did turn into one even in his first season. However, the hiring of Clownahan in itself was not a horrible Husker moment to me.

#5 really wasn't a horrible moment either. The Miami team that beat us is regarded by some as the best college D1 football team ever. We had worse losses with TO at the helm than that game.

Some of the worst Husker moments to me are:

1. Losing 7 bowl games in a row spanning from 87-93

2. 1990 Citrus bowl. We got embarrassed 45-21 and finished barely ranked in the top 25 at #24

3. 1991 Orange bowl. We didn't even score a friggin point. We had a big old goose egg in a beatdown at

22-0 at the hands of Miami.

4. 1996 Big 12 Championship game. With a NC game on the line, we stunk up the place losing to an 8-5

Texas team. It was the worst I ever saw TO get outcoached, and to make it worse it was to a coach who

has been fired or asked to leave from two programs and is no longer involved in coaching.

5. 1990 NU vs. CU. NU was winning the game 12-0 heading into the 4th qtr. before the Charlie McBride led

D decided to let the dogs out. CU scoring friggin 27 4th qtr. points. Un friggin Believable. 27 points in

one quarter in our own backyard? I'm still in awe how the heck that happened. CU was ranked #9

coming into the game while we were #3. They beat us at our own game.

*** SNIP***

I don't think the bowl game is more important than the season, I just think the bowl game should be considered because it technically is part of the season.

And for many teams it may be the best (or only) competition of the year. Yes, Buckeyes, I am talking about you.

Lots of good ones here, let me take a stab...

5. ISU-NU, 1992, Cy already mentioned Marv Seiler

4. Georgia Tech-NU in the Citrus Bowl in 1990(#4 and #5 are both good reasons to avoid all white unis)

3. Lawrence Phillips, do I have to say any more?

2. Texas Tech 70-NU 10, ouch, only second to one

1. 62-36, I put this first because this bruised the entire psyche and ego of the entire fanbase and program and we are still working to regain the swagger.

1. The Callahan/Pederson/Cosgrove Project – any and all losses/embrassments they accrued

2. 1/1/1993 – Loss to Florida State 18-16 – f-ing refs

3. 9/21/1996 – Loss to Arizona State 19-0 – Words can’t explain. I still hate the Sun Devils and f-ing Jake the Snake.

4. 11/14/1998 – Loss to Kansas State 40-30 – The un-called facemask on Crouch and the fact that it was KSUcks still chaps my ass.

5. 9/14/2002 – Loss to Penn State 40-7 – I really had to drink the sorrows away that night.

That 2005 Tech game still gives me nightmares. What a comeback, what a play...what a letdown.

2005 Kansas game was bad too. Not just losing to them for the first time since '68, but getting dumptrucked hurt pretty bad. Only time I have ever damaged something (punched a hole in the door) after a sports loss.

1.The beatdown in Boulder to CU was a clue in which way our program was headed.Many dismissed that as just a bad game but all the signs were there THEN that FS was in over his head as a HC at Nebraska.

2.The massive "undressing" that was TT in Lubbock in 2004.That whipping alone was the single molst hardest game I ever watched as a Husker fan.

3.Allowing KU to drop 76 on us 2 years ago.That was the omega of the BC era imo.Nothing he did after that could have saved his job.As much as I wanted FS to get fired BC was absolutely NOT the right person for the job.He was every bit as bad if not mor so than FS.

4.The USC game in 06 I think where our coaches basically played to NOT get blown out.I understand we were facing a more talented team.But the very game plan told the players that the coaches had NO CONFIDENCE in them beating USC.The coaches had lost that game before they even stepped on the field.

5.2002(entire season).Just watching the once proud program that I cheer for turn into a below average teamLosing to the likes of ISU and basically beoming just "ANOTHER" team.

Actually, the #3 was probably the biggest kick in the nutts we've ever had here at NU. Nutt is a pretty good recruiter, but he is a pretty bad coach. He has like one good season every 5 years or so. For us to offer him was bad enough. For him to use us as a bargaining chip with Arkansas, unforgiveable.

At the time considering the cluster of a mess Pud had already created, #4 didn't seem like a "worst Husker moment". Yeah, it did turn into one even in his first season. However, the hiring of Clownahan in itself was not a horrible Husker moment to me.

#5 really wasn't a horrible moment either. The Miami team that beat us is regarded by some as the best college D1 football team ever. We had worse losses with TO at the helm than that game.

Some of the worst Husker moments to me are:

1. Losing 7 bowl games in a row spanning from 87-93

2. 1990 Citrus bowl. We got embarrassed 45-21 and finished barely ranked in the top 25 at #24

3. 1991 Orange bowl. We didn't even score a friggin point. We had a big old goose egg in a beatdown at

22-0 at the hands of Miami.

4. 1996 Big 12 Championship game. With a NC game on the line, we stunk up the place losing to an 8-5

Texas team. It was the worst I ever saw TO get outcoached, and to make it worse it was to a coach who

has been fired or asked to leave from two programs and is no longer involved in coaching.

5. 1990 NU vs. CU. NU was winning the game 12-0 heading into the 4th qtr. before the Charlie McBride led

D decided to let the dogs out. CU scoring friggin 27 4th qtr. points. Un friggin Believable. 27 points in

one quarter in our own backyard? I'm still in awe how the heck that happened. CU was ranked #9

coming into the game while we were #3. They beat us at our own game.

They did the same thing in the 4th vs UT! Bienemy was unstoppable in the 4th!

Note: Frank Solich, and I'm not trying to dedhoarse again but he needed to be fired. The mistake Steve Pederson made was not doing after the 7-7 season.

Steve Pederson was not the Athletic Director during and immediately following the 2002 (7-7) season.

That was Bill Byrne's last year as AD before he bolted to A&M wasn't it? I stand corrected, Bill Byrne should've fired FS.

That 2005 Tech game still gives me nightmares. What a comeback, what a play...what a letdown.

2005 Kansas game was bad too. Not just losing to them for the first time since '68, but getting dumptrucked hurt pretty bad. Only time I have ever damaged something (punched a hole in the door) after a sports loss.

:yeah I was at that kansas game....that stung deep