Top 5 "worst Husker moments" in the modern era

In fairness to Frank Solich, he coached a '99 team that lead the NCAA in turnovers but also managed to go 12-1, win its major bowl game and finish ranked #3. He then coached a 2001 team to the national title game, despite that oft mentioned blowout loss to Colorado. But that wasn't a great Nebraska team. Solich wasn't in over his head, the team just wasn't national championship caliber. One could argue he took them as far as they could possibly go.

Then he rebounded from an utterly dismal 7 - 7 season in 2002 to lead a similarly flawed 2003 team to a 9 - 3 record and a second tier bowl invitation, the kind of performance that would have fit in anywhere in Tom Osborne's first 20 seasons.

But then, Frank Solich wasn't fired entirely on the basis of his coaching ability.

In fairness to Frank Solich, he coached a '99 team that lead the NCAA in turnovers but also managed to go 12-1, win its major bowl game and finish ranked #3. He then coached a 2001 team to the national title game, despite that oft mentioned blowout loss to Colorado. But that wasn't a great Nebraska team. Solich wasn't in over his head, the team just wasn't national championship caliber. One could argue he took them as far as they could possibly go.

Then he rebounded from an utterly dismal 7 - 7 season in 2002 to lead a similarly flawed 2003 team to a 9 - 3 record and a second tier bowl invitation, the kind of performance that would have fit in anywhere in Tom Osborne's first 20 seasons.

But then, Frank Solich wasn't fired entirely on the basis of his coaching ability.

:yeah

I pretty much agree with everything said already, so I'm just going to mention one that I haven't seen yet...

19-0 @ ASU in '96

Thought I mentioned that in post #22.

I don't think I've ever been soooo embarrassed. My GF at the time, was a wanna-be ASU fan and I talked so much sh@t to her before the game only to eat crow for a long time afterwards. And to top it off, she also broke up with me!! GOD I HATE ASU!!!

One I didn't see mentioned- watching Joe Dailey run out of bounds on 4th down against Southern Miss.

Somehow the 18-16 loss to FSU was softened by back to back NC's.

Solich going 7-7 really hurt. That had never happened in my lifetime (that I remember). I can think of multiple Jamal Lord plays that made me scream at the TV. Most were scrambling 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage and then running out of bounds.

TT 70- 10 or whatever it was.

The whupping Okie St put on us at home in Callascams last year.

62-36 symbolizes the beginning of bad things for our program. That really hurt.

Re: Lekevin Smith at TT. When Suh intercepted Hawkins during the CU game this year I was screaming "Lay down big man!! Lay down!! at the TV because of my memory of the tech game. But then Suh high stepped Hawkins into the ground and scored a touchdown. Pandemonium ensued. (or should I say ensuhed)

1) Brooks Dying, cause that human treagedy stuff gets me the most...

2) Hearing Husker fans claim the opton was dead. What was dead was the defense and the depth of talent. Put a real blackshirt defense behind Eric Crouch and that would have been a much better team.... I blame BC for burying my beloved option...

3) Tech laying 70 and then acting like fools while they did it. It was not classy how they did it, but that does not surprise me, Tech is not classy.

4) KU ending the streak in a game that was closer than the fairly disparate score, then the next time around beating the Huskers emphatically, in a game that was not close and KU scored pretty much every possession.. I must admit I was not sad, but it did show how much things had changed, and I would have to put it on the list.

5) Houston Nutt turning down the Husker job. That was not a good thing to come out, especially so publicy....

2) Hearing Husker fans claim the opton was dead. What was dead was the defense and the depth of talent. Put a real blackshirt defense behind Eric Crouch and that would have been a much better team.... I blame BC for this.

3) Tech laying 70 and then acting like fools while they did it. It was not classy how they did it, but that does not surprise me, Tech is not classy.

4) KU ending the streak in a game that was closer than the fairly disparate score, then the next time around beating the Huskers emphatically, in a game that was not close and KU scored pretty much every possession.. I must admit I was not sad, but it did show how much things had changed, and I would have to put it on the list.

5) Houston Nutt turning down the Husker job. That was not a good thing to come out, especially so publicy....

Huh?

2) Hearing Husker fans claim the opton was dead. What was dead was the defense and the depth of talent. Put a real blackshirt defense behind Eric Crouch and that would have been a much better team.... I blame BC for this.

Huh?

I do not blame him for the defense, I blame him for convincing everyone the option offense was dead. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a terrible Husker moment, that ended up being one of the best things that ever happened to us in the last 5 years, in my honest opinion.

Saturday, September 15, 2007. ESPN's College Gameday was in Lincoln for the big match up between #14 Nebraska and #1 USC. Nebraska got throttled, losing 49-31. Don't let the score mislead you, however. As this game was over quickly. Many of those 31 points came in garbage time at the end of the game, and Nebraska played like one of the worst football teams in the nation for much of that night.

Why is there any good in this? Because it was the first stepping stone in the realization that Bill Callahan's football was not good football. It was the initial step in eventually nabbing us a historic coach as A.D. and a great coach in Bo Pelini. We all know deep down, somewhere, that Bill Callahan and his coaching wasn't fully working out at Nebraska. This beating from USC, honestly, was a blessing in disguise in my eyes.

I have a terrible Husker moment, that ended up being one of the best things that ever happened to us in the last 5 years, in my honest opinion.

Saturday, September 15, 2007. ESPN's College Gameday was in Lincoln for the big match up between #14 Nebraska and #1 USC. Nebraska got throttled, losing 49-31. Don't let the score mislead you, however. As this game was over quickly. Many of those 31 points came in garbage time at the end of the game, and Nebraska played like one of the worst football teams in the nation for much of that night.

Why is there any good in this? Because it was the first stepping stone in the realization that Bill Callahan's football was not good football. It was the initial step in eventually nabbing us a historic coach as A.D. and a great coach in Bo Pelini. We all know deep down, somewhere, that Bill Callahan and his coaching wasn't fully working out at Nebraska. This beating from USC, honestly, was a blessing in disguise in my eyes.

I agree!! It was horrible at the time, but also a blessings in disguise.

2) Hearing Husker fans claim the opton was dead. What was dead was the defense and the depth of talent. Put a real blackshirt defense behind Eric Crouch and that would have been a much better team.... I blame BC for burying my beloved option...

What are you a Jayhawk/Husker fan :lol: I'm so confused :dunno

5) 31-49 Loss to USC. Absolutely exposed the Huskers as weak on National Television.

4) 6-41 Loss to Missouri. Missouri is now tied for my most hated team.

3) 36-62 Loss to Colorado. Colorado will always be the other team.

2) 17-52 Loss to Missouri. I had so much hope that this would never happen with Pelini at the helm, especially at home.

1) 10-70 Loss to Texas Tech. This was the worst game the Huskers ever played.

5) 31-49 Loss to USC. Absolutely exposed the Huskers as weak on National Television.

4) 6-41 Loss to Missouri. Missouri is now tied for my most hated team.

3) 36-62 Loss to Colorado. Colorado will always be the other team.

2) 17-52 Loss to Missouri. I had so much hope that this would never happen with Pelini at the helm, especially at home.

1) 10-70 Loss to Texas Tech. This was the worst game the Huskers ever played.

Crappy losses for sure, but worst Husker moments? I could definitely see getting rid of your #2. I do agree with you about #5, but not for your reasoning. Read my post up the page a bit cause I talk pretty in depth about this game.

Being from Phoenix, that had to be the most disgusting game I have ever seen. And what I hate is that all the ASU fans down here still act like that happened yesterday. They have pretty much made it a state holiday. For a Pac 10 school who hasn't won a Rose Bowl, they talk a lot of smack.

I pretty much agree with everything said already, so I'm just going to mention one that I haven't seen yet...

19-0 @ ASU in '96

Thought I mentioned that in post #22.

I don't think I've ever been soooo embarrassed. My GF at the time, was a wanna-be ASU fan and I talked so much sh@t to her before the game only to eat crow for a long time afterwards. And to top it off, she also broke up with me!! GOD I HATE ASU!!!