Trev Alberts

Trev Alberts a candidate for UNO A.D. job

Former Nebraska football All-American Trev Alberts is expected to be named a finalist for the athletic director's job at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

A source with knowledge of the process said Wednesday that four finalists are likely to be revealed this week, perhaps as early as today.

When reached by phone Wednesday night, Alberts cordially stated: "I'd prefer not to comment at this time."

Alberts was the only name mentioned so far. A second source said Wednesday that Paul Meyers, NU's associate A.D. for athletic development, didn't apply for the job. Meyers couldn't be reached for confirmation.

Alberts, 38, is a native of Cedar Falls, Iowa. He is married, has children and lives in Atlanta. At Nebraska, Alberts earned consensus All-America honors and in 1993 won the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker. He also won the NCAA's highest honor, a Top Eight Award for athletics, academics and leadership.

Albert was the fifth overall pick in the 1994 NFL draft, but played only three injury-plagued seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

After pro football, Alberts worked as a TV football analyst for CNN (1997-2001), ESPN (2002-2005) and CBS College Sports Network.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3925...;u_sid=10611200

Very interesting. Unsportsmanlike Conduct had a long discussion involving the potential for the UNO A.D. job to open a door up for the UNL A.D. job. As much as we wish Osborne would stay alive like a God, eventually we're going to need a guy who knows what he is doing. Kevin and Mike said it's possible that if Alberts does well at UNO, he could become a potential UNL A.D. in a couple years when Osborne retires.

I could see Alberts starting as the AD of UNO and moving up to the AD of NU down the road.

Trev Alberts knows the tradition of Nebraska Football. Heck, he bleeds Scarlet Red! I can't begin to count the number of times Trev would be fuming and ready to lay the smack down on fellow sportscasters who didn't have a clue on the tradition of Nebraska Football, or what it means to be a Cornhusker Fan let alone they seemed to forget that he was a part of the Cornhusker team that "Refused to Lose" in 1993 and came SO close in the 1994 Orange Bowl, and was there on the sidelines telling the players, "You guys are awesome!" as Nebraska led 24-17 in the 1995 Orange Bowl against Miami on their home field.

Stepping Stone or not, I think UNO would make an excellent choice as the AD of UNO.

i wish him luck, but i think they are making a HUGE mistake. this guy has no managerial or fund raising experience at all based off of his former work history. i am assuming that the president of UNO realizes this and already has people in place around him that will tell him what to do and he merely will be a cheerleader and "glad hander". i am assuming that osborne will ehlp mentor him as well.