Is Nebraska considered Yankee?

regional pride is stupid. how can you be proud of something that happened by accident?

My parents tell me they're proud of me all the time.

That's so sweet, (Mick) Dundee!

...But isn't "Yankee" an Austrailian term for a "quickie" with yourself?

I live in Texas but I've always loved the Huskers. My town in Texas is closer to Lincoln - as the crow flies - than it is to College Station or Austin. And Nebraska just looks a heck of a lot more like where I live - flat and windy.

Now, me and my brother got into an argument. he's a Texas Tech grad, and he said Nebraska's a bunch of yankees. I'm like do what? A "yankee" is someone from the northeast, is it not? He said "no way - you go to Nebraska and I'll guarantee you those people are different - they're yankees. I asked him what that meant and he said they are "more blunt, rude, etc."

So...is this true? Is Nebraska yankee country? How do Nebraskans see the situation? :hellloooo

You are correct....and your brother needs to travel a bit and get some real education.

My general understanding is that anyone who lives north of the Mason-Dixon line is considered to be a yankee.

From a cultural perspective, that doesn't apply when you get west of Chicago - or some people would say west of suburban Philadelphia!

And, for those of you who have never been to the south, whoa nelly, let me tell you there are still people there, to this day who hate the north and all yankees.

You mean "The War of Northern Aggression?"

I grew up in Lincoln, and have lived in five other places including Texas and Brazil. Yankees to me are those people who talk funny and live in the northeastern part of the United States. End of subject.

No, yankees are parts of Maryland, all of Pennsylvania & north. Ya'll are midwesterners. Texans are not southerners, and neither are Floridians.

The south is comprised of SC, NC, GA, Bama, Miss, LA, Tenn, Virginia, WV, Kentucky.

The north (yankees) are parts of Maryland, Penn, NY, NJ, RI, Delaware, NH, Vermont, Maine, Conn, & Florida (there are more yankees there than ever)

I didn't realize being a Yankee was bad thing now, after all we are the asskickers in this country. :box

Though I was born and raised out in the mid-west, I'd have to consider myself a Yankee. I know my brother does, he lives in Concord NC.

no you were the meat grinders of the country, the ass kickers were in the army of northern virginny.

My general understanding is that anyone who lives north of the Mason-Dixon line is considered to be a yankee.

From a cultural perspective, that doesn't apply when you get west of Chicago - or some people would say west of suburban Philadelphia!

And, for those of you who have never been to the south, whoa nelly, let me tell you there are still people there, to this day who hate the north and all yankees.

You mean "The War of Northern Aggression?"

I grew up in Lincoln, and have lived in five other places including Texas and Brazil. Yankees to me are those people who talk funny and live in the northeastern part of the United States. End of subject.

ya i wouldnt really call nebraskans yankee, were midwestern so it doesnt really fit for us