Booze Ban

No more booze allowed in Nebraska's skyboxes

according to an article on ESPN:

It might be a little quieter at Memorial Stadium this season, at least if a directive from the Nebraska athletic department is enforced.

Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald reports that skybox holders at Memorial Stadium have received word that there will be stricter enforcement of the campus law that forbids alcohol possession on campus.

No beer or whiskey in those prime seats might lead to a more sedate crowd -- at least in what some Nebraska insiders refer to as "Lexus Lane."

But something tells me that if Bo Pelini's team is as good as expected, the rest of the stadium might drown them out.

I think this is a non-issue. The law is already on the books, but the university turned a blind eye for years.

If the big money boosters make a big fuss I'd imagine they can and should actually put exemptions on the books for the skyboxes. (other college stadiums do this). Ignoring blatant violations of the law undermine authority. If the university wants to allow alcohol in the sky boxes, be open about it.

I think if you pay that much for a damn skybox, you should be able to drink whatever you F'n want to in it!

Dry campus...(by the way, I fully realize that it isn't in reality a dry campus. I lived there) A law is a law. If you don't like it, change it.

Yes and no... Every dry campus has people that carry alcohol in or sneak it in or whatever you want to say.. Anyone that gets caught with alcohol (even someone of age) is punished in violation of the law... So technically, it is really a dry campus.

I think if you pay that much for a damn skybox, you should be able to drink whatever you F'n want to in it!

Dry campus...(by the way, I fully realize that it isn't in reality a dry campus. I lived there) A law is a law. If you don't like it, change it.

Yes and no... Every dry campus has people that carry alcohol in or sneak it in or whatever you want to say.. Anyone that gets caught with alcohol (even someone of age) is punished in violation of the law... So technically, it is really a dry campus.

That's what I'm trying to say. I was saying that unless they change the law the sky box owners should have to abide by it the same as the average joe. I know people that had press passes and were in the sky boxes and media room. The alcohol consumption wasn't exactly subtle.

I think this is a non-issue. The law is already on the books, but the university turned a blind eye for years.

If the big money boosters make a big fuss I'd imagine they can and should actually put exemptions on the books for the skyboxes. (other college stadiums do this). Ignoring blatant violations of the law undermine authority. If the university wants to allow alcohol in the sky boxes, be open about it.

I agree 100%

That's what I'm trying to say. I was saying that unless they change the law the sky box owners should have to abide by it the same as the average joe. I know people that had press passes and were in the sky boxes and media room. The alcohol consumption wasn't exactly subtle.

Awesome picture of Freeman about to get smothered by Suh & Allen.

Carl Big Red!

UNL is not a 100% dry campus. I know of at least three times a year that alcohol is allowed in Architecture hall. I would be willing to bet that they are not the only place that gets permission for it.

No more booze allowed in Nebraska's skyboxes

according to an article on ESPN:

It might be a little quieter at Memorial Stadium this season, at least if a directive from the Nebraska athletic department is enforced.

Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald reports that skybox holders at Memorial Stadium have received word that there will be stricter enforcement of the campus law that forbids alcohol possession on campus.

No beer or whiskey in those prime seats might lead to a more sedate crowd -- at least in what some Nebraska insiders refer to as "Lexus Lane."

But something tells me that if Bo Pelini's team is as good as expected, the rest of the stadium might drown them out.

Anybody else catch this? Tim Griffin actually has expectations for this year's Nebraska Cornhuskers!!

UNL is not a 100% dry campus. I know of at least three times a year that alcohol is allowed in Architecture hall. I would be willing to bet that they are not the only place that gets permission for it.

Yep. They grant special use permits for special events. If they want to have alcohol in the sky boxes they might be able to use that mechanism.