Handshakes

We have to agree to disagree I guess hanc. I do see your point and I understand what you are saying. I know it is the "right" thing to do and I had to do the same thing in high school and college.

Anyways, I respect your opinion and hope you understand where I am coming from and respect my opinion.

and.....the media SUCKS for having that much control over athletes or society that they can get someone fined. I wonder if the last person on the bench made the same move if they would give a damn?

Shaking hands?

Heck with that..If we're playing Co-ed naked Lacrosse, I want some tongue kissing!

But seriously, it probably shouldn't be forced..but how can you help but not respect your opponent?

Even if they beat you, they've given you something you can build on or bring out your best, and if you constantly beat them, they probably need some encouragement to keep playing or you will eventually run out of playmates.

And H-Jen..you better not kiss my horse after we play naked water polo. :box

Touchdown:

My post above says exactly how I feel about the "shaking hands" issue, so I wont go there again, but I do agree with you on the whole "speaking" to the media thing. I feel that this is such a non-issue. Why should athletes be forced to talk to the media, who in my opinion ask extremely dumb questions most of the time. IMO, no way should he have been fined for not speaking to the media. I understand that it must be a NBA rule, but it is a dumb rule to me.

He should have went through the line , but shouldn't have been forced to talk to the media.

The reason the professional leagues require that of the athletes is for promotion. It gives the writers additional storylines and material, which increases the "inches" in sports sections, which feeds fans' desire for information, which gives them reason to follow the sport, which leads to tickets and TV ratings.

A form of self-preservation and self-promotion.

Personally, I find the attitude of the people who denigrate others who disagree with them by calling them part of the "Me" generation or by saying that they have no class very unfortunate. It's a problem we as a society have developed; the attitude that anyone who disagrees with us has something wrong with them. It can never just be a difference of opinions. Sportsmanship is important, but making it compulsory through the end of game handshake is counterproductive, in my opinion. It loses any significance it would have had if the players did it of their own volition.

Josh,

It is something that was taught from day one in my athletic career. And I have been involved with sports from the peewee football days of my youth 50 years ago until today in racing mountain bikes and coaching Olympic cyclists.

It may never have been taught to you, or you may have decided it was beneath you to do it. It makes no difference, it is todays attitude it seems.

Wrong or right is not the question. It is the way the vast majority of younger people that feel that way.

If you fit into the category of the Me generation so be it. I am not. If only your thoughts are important to you then that is the way it is.

I watched the Faber/Brown fight this weekend. Guys actually dealing with possible death situations and months of hype. They still greet each other after the fight, congratulate each other on their efforts.

It is okay to talk the trash before, all though I am not in favor of it, but when the game is done you owe it to your competitor to thank him for the opportunity to compete, win or lose.