Handshakes

Wow! my opinion of some board members have been greatly diminished after reading this thread.

Sorry but I come from a sport where you may knock your opponent out cold in the middle of the ring, or legitimately injure each other. And that man will still shake your hand after the match, and probably even say "thank you". That's called RESPECT! Something most of you obviously don't have for yourselves, your competitors, or the sport you play. That is if you all have even played sports, because if you have, your attitudes on this are even more pathetic!

I could care less about the shaking of the hands but at that level you have to play the game weather your pissed about losing or not. The thing that really bothers me is the twitter thing - I don't give a f**k who's doing what every 5 minutes. I actually pay $5.00 extra per month on my Nextel bill to not recieve texts or send texts - If you want to motherf**k me call me and scream at me.

Like he's the first to pass on the handshake. Belichick owns the patent, I believe, on being a jerk immediately following a game.

That said, King James would probably do his team well to stand up for them and at least give the good old 'we'll get 'em next year' type speech. Osborne had to do that enough times.

I could care less about the shaking of the hands but at that level you have to play the game weather your pissed about losing or not. The thing that really bothers me is the twitter thing - I don't give a f**k who's doing what every 5 minutes. I actually pay $5.00 extra per month on my Nextel bill to not recieve texts or send texts - If you want to motherf**k me call me and scream at me.

What's your number? I'll give you all the verbal abuse you can handle. :dumdum

I'm no coach but I am a father. If I tell my boy to apoligize for something, even if he doesn't mean it, he dam well better or I will break him like a bad habit. It's not about his feeling in the matter, it's about learning the rules of the game. I don't intend to raise a good boy, I intend to raise a good man, I hope coach intends the same for his boys and I wish your dads had done the same for you all.

By the way Jen, how can I get in on this verbal abuse thing, do you have a 976 number.

lebron left the court without shaking hands last year when they lost to the celtics and nobody said a word. Like I stated before I could care less if he does or not but this is the media making a story to get ratings. I remember when we were kids and being forced to shake hands and as many of you know rival towns are not too friendly torwards each other in sports.

I guess I am old old FOGEY.....but I think a person is certainly defined by their actions....how you win is defining...but how you lose is your character. That doesn't mean you shake the hands with an individual that hasn't played in the spirit of the contest, but I do think when you have battled someone and they come out on top it is honorable to congratulate them on their victory.

In my opinion this is what defines the difference between Nebraska and everyone else......

I guess I am old old FOGEY.....but I think a person is certainly defined by their actions....how you win is defining...but how you lose is your character. That doesn't mean you shake the hands with an individual that hasn't played in the spirit of the contest, but I do think when you have battled someone and they come out on top it is honorable to congratulate them on their victory.

In my opinion this is what defines the difference between Nebraska and everyone else......

Amen!!

Huskerjock:

Thank you for your comments. Being a HS coach for years, I absolutely preach CLASS every single practice and game. Win or LOSE. We have to defend having athletic programs in schools because of the $$$$$ it cost to run a football program. I have always said that a kid can learn as much about life on an athletic field as they can in the classroom. Learning to be a man, developing class, respecting other people, teamwork, ..... I can go on and on....but to say that it isn't important to "suck it up" and congratulate your opponent blows my mind. If you did the best you could and still lost, then give the other team or person the credit they deserve instead of "feeling sorry for yourself". If you don't like losing, work harder and get better, but don't be a self-absorbed fool and refuse to congratulate your opponent, even if you really don't mean it. Hey, sometimes in life, we all have to do things we don't like, huh.

Our teams have won a lot of football games in my career and I constantly tell our players that I would much rather be remembered as a coach who ran a classy program than a coach who won a lot of games. Maybe that is me being an old fogy (at age 40), but I am pretty sure the person I have idolized since age 7 would probably agree with me......Tom Osborne.... the man speaks class.

I am not calling anyone out, because we are all entitled to an opinion, and I respect that... Just needed to state mine...that is the beauty about opinions, no one is right or wrong...they are opinions, not answers.

Interesting perspective from Tiger Woods. This was in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette.

Second thoughts

By Mike Marino

Sunday, June 7, 2009

LITTLE ROCK — On the links, James would be bad sport

Tiger Woods - unlike Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James - isn’t likely to storm off if he doesn’t win.

James was criticized when he did not shake hands with Orlando Magic players after losing in Game 7 of the NBA’s Eastern Conference final.

Woods tried to put the controversy in perspective.

“Well, if you look at it, not everyone shakes hands after every game,” he said. “Football, a lot of guys just walk off the field. A lot of sports, they walk off the court or field. Hockey, they line up. It’s tradition. And it’s part of our sport, the tradition of taking the hat off and shaking hands.

“The history of our game is about sportsmanship. We call penalties on ourselves. I don’t see anybody in the NFL saying, ‘I’m sorry. I held the guy. Give me 10 yards.’ That doesn’t happen.

“But I think that what separates our sport from other sports is just the traditions of the sportsmanship, when you doff your cap and shake someone’s hand and look them in the eyes and say, ‘Well done.’ ”

Unfortunately we are staring down the barrel of the Me generation.

Being above others in actions on the field and off the field is what Nebraska is about. That is what the words on the stadium entrances mean.

I am very disappointed in the comments on here, but I have said many times over the last few years we are seeing Nebraska fan become the Missouri, Colorado, Miami fan.

I understand some feel it is a media thing with LeBron, I feel it is a maturity/character thing that goes deep.

I respect him for his play and his opinion, but having young black inner city athletes look up to and admire him, he certainly missed an opportunity to further his sport and trade. What he did has further embedded the lack of respect attitude that some may have.

After reading the words of Tiger, I may just have to try and find a love for golf. I never had enjoyed watching the game, but the play of the game sounds like our moto.

I am all for being a good sport. When I was playing ball I would talk with the people I consistently played against and congratulate them or wish them luck. My main point is that if people do not want to shake hands with someone they should not be shunned.

Forcing kids to apologize or shake hands does not make them more of a man if they don't think they did anything wrong. I believe it just teaches them to apologize to keep people off of their back or to make it look good....just my opinion. I get it that it is the "right" thing to do, but there is a fine line.

The whole Lebron thing is a complete joke. Just b/c he did not talk to the precious media he gets into trouble.

In the end, it is about your individual choice what you do.

Touchdown:

My post above says exactly how I feel about the "shaking hands" issue, so I wont go there again, but I do agree with you on the whole "speaking" to the media thing. I feel that this is such a non-issue. Why should athletes be forced to talk to the media, who in my opinion ask extremely dumb questions most of the time. IMO, no way should he have been fined for not speaking to the media. I understand that it must be a NBA rule, but it is a dumb rule to me.

He should have went through the line , but shouldn't have been forced to talk to the media.