BIG 12 NORTH PRESEASON FORECAST

But I'd take Woods experience over Lee's any day. Woods has at least played at a high level against good competition for the last two years in juco. And if you think the competition is down in juco, you're crazy! Where do you think all those highly regarded kids from the state of Florida/California and Texas go when they can't score high enough on the ACT??? Answer: JUCO.

Zac Lee led his team to the JUCO championship game. What did Quinton Woods do?

here is a pretty good article on the subject of the DL and the D as a whole

Here you go

How does linking to an article I read two weeks ago prove that Zac Lee's JUCO year was not as good as Quinton Woods? The sum total of discussion about Woods in that article is, "And I expect junior college transfer Quinton Woods to be an immediate force on the other side." Further, this is an opinion piece and provides zero stats to back up any claim made by the writer. So what's your point here?

sorry, didn't mean to reply to you. had nothing to do with Lee. chill

i believe his D1 stats are pretty close to Lee's. Opinions is all anyone has about first year players.

But I'd take Woods experience over Lee's any day. Woods has at least played at a high level against good competition for the last two years in juco. And if you think the competition is down in juco, you're crazy! Where do you think all those highly regarded kids from the state of Florida/California and Texas go when they can't score high enough on the ACT??? Answer: JUCO.

Well, Woods team didn't win a championship, but he was first team all conference and ranked in the top 30 juco players at season's end. He was committed to Michigan out of high school as a 3 star recruit (not that stars really matter). Then he was 6'4 215lbs. Now he is 6'6 245.

Here you go

Here's another good article that talks about KU's depth on the defensive line http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178810-...-defensive-line

After reading that article again, i forgot how many d-lineman Mangino recruited. We're stacked with depth! Oh, and the article talks about Kevin Young......sorry husker fans :)

Well, Woods team didn't win a championship, but he was first team all conference and ranked in the top 30 juco players at season's end. He was committed to Michigan out of high school as a 3 star recruit (not that stars really matter). Then he was 6'4 215lbs. Now he is 6'6 245.

Here you go

Here's another good article that talks about KU's depth on the defensive line http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178810-...-defensive-line

After reading that article again, i forgot how many d-lineman Mangino recruited. We're stacked with depth! Oh, and the article talks about Kevin Young......sorry husker fans :)

He better pan out. I have my doubts about him.

Here you go

How does linking to an article I read two weeks ago prove that Zac Lee's JUCO year was not as good as Quinton Woods? The sum total of discussion about Woods in that article is, "And I expect junior college transfer Quinton Woods to be an immediate force on the other side." Further, this is an opinion piece and provides zero stats to back up any claim made by the writer. So what's your point here?

Here's my response angry eddie! I don't have his official stats on-hand, but he made a huge impact at the juco level. Woods team didn't win a championship, but he was first team all conference and ranked in the top 30 juco players at season's end. He was committed to Michigan out of high school as a 3 star recruit (not that stars really matter). Then he was 6'4 215lbs. Now he is 6'6 245.

Good grief. My heads hurting after reading all this abck and forth bickering over who's better. Husker fans are right, Suh is a DT and they're not supposed to get a whole lot of sacks....it's amazing that Suh got over 5! He is IMO the best DT in college football. On the flipside, Jake Laptad IMO is ready for a break out year and will likely have 10 plus sacks. The kid only started half the season...that's right husker fans, half. Jayhawker is right....he was mostly double teamed while producing 7 sacks. Jake will be a force this year and if Woods is as good as everyone is saying he is then look out. KU's d-line is a strenght, when last year it was easily a weakness.

One of the husker fans on here said that Lee was more talented than Ganz!! LOL. That's the funniest thing I've heard! I'm pretty sure Bo would have started Lee over Ganz if he thought he was the more talented player. Bo had NO loyalty to Ganz. He could of discarded him, along witht he other players who quit on the team, but he didn't becasue Ganz was the more talented player. What a comment! LOL.

Replacing QB and ALL your skill positions will be the Huskers doom in the pass happy Big 12. Book it.

the Husker fan knows of what he speaks. There's a little matter of learning the playbook - Ganz knew it inside, outside, backwards and forwards and was called "a coach on the field". He'd seen this playbook for 5 years, and worked his ass off for his chance. Lee is far more gifted physically than Ganz. That's not me knocking Ganz, because I loved that guy, but it is what it is. We've heard Lee has taken a big step forward with the mental aspect now that he appears to be "the man". We shall see if he's really ready soon enough, but yeah, he's got the physical tools to be better than Joey was.

:yeah I think he was referring to one of my posts where I stated Lee has more talent than Ganz and it is absolutely true. Lee is MUCH MUCH faster than Ganz and has a stronger arm by far than Ganz, rumor has it he has thrown a ball 70 yards. Oh and Lee is 6' 2" tall vs. 6' for Ganz and Lee was a 4 Star recruit. Lee is just a better athlete than Ganz, but Got Carl said it all, Ganz was the better QB for 2008 because he was better prepared. Lee was a RSo. and only had 1 year in the program going into 2008 because he was a JUCO transfer. I love Ganz, but Lee's ceiling is much higher and if the reports we have heard out of Spring Ball and the evidence of the Spring Game is to be believed, Lee has stepped up as a leader of the O and has a firm grasp on the O now. He spent a ton of time with Watson getting ready, hopefully it all pays off this year. JGS I think you need to research a bit before you go flying off the handle with comments like that.

Ganz, rumor has it he has thrown a ball 70 yards. I betcha I can throw a football over them there mountains! -Uncle Ricco :laughpound

--Actually most of us have seen this in newspaper articles and I thought it might be a good example that Lee has very good arm strength. If you think not, then ok but whatever. Lee does have a live arm, much stronger than Ganz.

Oh and Lee is 6' 2" tall vs. 6' for Ganz and Lee was a 4 Star recruit. Another bad example from the caveman. Reesing is 5'8 on a good day, and is one of the top 10 QB's in the nation. Height doesn't mattter much in college my friend. If you followed it as much as you say you would know that. And congratulations on Lee being a 4 star recruit! LOL :laughpound I wouldn't bet the farm on his star ranking being accurate. Most of the time Rivals is wrong. I can name you 20 guys from KU in the past 5 years that didn't compare to their star ranking.

--Hey I agree that height doesn't mean nearly as much in the college game, but it doesn't hurt either. I bet Reesing would like to be a bit taller, not necessary for him right now but I'd bet in a private moment he wishes he was taller. Does Lee being taller than Ganz mean that he is better than Ganz, no and that isn't what I said. I said Lee has more ability than Ganz, being taller is an indication of that as is the fact that Lee's arm is much stronger and that Lee is a much much faster runner than Ganz. Lee has a ton more ability than Ganz hands down, whether Lee can do the other things that Ganz did, such as be a student of the game and be a leader for the team, is yet to be fully seen and evaluated. Early signs are good though.

I guess our definition of talent is different. My definition of talent is his overall skill level...that includes his football mentallity, physical ability, field awareness, everything. That defines a kids talent. If youw ant to just go off the fact that he's bigger, stronger and faster, then maybe you need to watch track cause football is not your sport my friend.

Do you really believe that if Ganze was back at Nebraska this year you would want Lee as the starter over him?? That's basically what you've said, without even saying it! I know we'll never agree on one single thing......ok, maybe a few minor ones.....but remember this going into 09: Lee will have a learning curve. And if you think he'll come out gunz blazing, you're absolutely crazy.

--Hhhhmmmm so being able to make every throw in the book isn't talent? Being able to almost outrun the RB's is not talent? You see it depends on the context of how you use the word "talent." For instance if you talk about KU or OU you would say they have plenty of talent at the QB position, in this case the total package of the players involved is considered because they are winning players. However if you are talking about how good someone can be, i.e. a recruit or incoming starter, you don't have the second part, those non-physical attributes if you will, to evaluate the player. If this bothers you, then you should refrain from using the word talent in describing any potential KU recruits. For this I will concede to you and say that Lee has a much better set of Physical Abilities, his non-physical abilities are yet to be fully evaluated. You are right, right now if Ganz were still here he would be the starter. I will say this though, if Ganz and Lee had the same eligibility timeline and assuming that both players were similar in their rate of non-physical development, then Lee would beat out Ganz as the starter. You could have this same arguement with Mizzou fans about Daniel vs. Gabbert. Gabbert clearly has the physical edge on Daniel, just as Lee does on Ganz, the question that both fan bases are still waiting an answer on is how well does both Lee and Gabbert know the offenses and are they asserting themselves as leaders the teams are willing to follow? What NU fans have heard thus far from other players on the team and have seen with our own eyes in the Spring Game gives us a good feeling that Lee's non-pysical development as a player is going well. If he progresses to the level that Ganz was at, then Lee will be special.

And about your comment on Woods...if you're dogging me about relying on the reports I heard from spring ball and this summer on him, then you're basically bashing yourself about Lee. I'm going off the same darn team reports as you are my friend.Neither Lee or Woods have proven anything in college. But I'd take Woods experience over Lee's any day. Woods has at least played at a high level against good competition for the last two years in juco. And if you think the competition is down in juco, you're crazy! Where do you think all those highly regarded kids from the state of Florida/California and Texas go when they can't score high enough on the ACT??? Answer: JUCO. :clap

--Ok I will concede your point on evaluating Woods based on reports. However you are really off base on comparing Woods to Lee. You do realize that Lee was a JUCO player also right? All Lee did was to lead his JUCO team to a National Title Game, I think that may trump anything Woods did in JUCO but that maybe just be my crazy self. If being a very highly rated JUCO player automatically means success then what happened to Crawford? My biggest issue with Woods is that he may be a great player, but he is still a first year player in a D1 program learning the scheme and faster level of play, and yes D1 Ball is faster than JUCO despite all of those ACT failure players. Lee is going into his 3rd year at NU, he has had over 2+ years learing the system and getting used to the level of talent at this level. I would say Lee is better prepared to make an impact this year than Woods; even if Woods makes a good contribution this year, which may happen we don't know yet, I still say Laptad will be the focus of opposing offenses. He may be like Suh and still get his sacks despite double teams, but I don't see any real positive sign that the other 3 players on the KU D-Line will be able to make them pay. You better hope Woods is not a bust, the DT's don't scare anyone.

What exactly is NU replacing in the starting department that wont be an upgrade? In the secondary, we had a few walk-ons starting I remember, so you're telling me that it wont be an upgrade to have non walk-ons starting? The only thing you can point to, IMO, is QB and WR. However, our running game is good enough, and our OLine is good enough, to keep the pressure off of Lee. Yeah, he will be tested I am sure of that. But he wont have to come out and throw 500 yards a game by any means. I like our chances. Helu is a beast, and running behind a great OLine will help for sure.

I don't have his official stats on-hand, but he made a huge impact at the juco level. Woods team didn't win a championship, but he was first team all conference and ranked in the top 30 juco players at season's end. He was committed to Michigan out of high school as a 3 star recruit (not that stars really matter). Then he was 6'4 215lbs. Now he is 6'6 245.

Congratulations! That plus $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee somewhere nice.

All this conjecture is meaningless. All these ridiculous comparisons you guys want to do between Woods and Zac Lee are ridiculous. There is no way to compare a JUCO QB to a JUCO DE. It's apples and potatoes.

Bottom line - both Kansas and Nebraska will have good teams. Both lost some good players, both have some good players returning, and both have some good players stepping up from obscurity.

Trying to decide who is better in June is a waste of time.

Also - one more thing. I seem to remember Pelini redshirting a bunch of players, and even after injuries saying that he wouldn't burn the redshirts. I bet there was probably some talent in those redshirted players that would have helped us out alot last year, however, Pelini kept the redshirts rather then burning them. I just feel like we could have been much better last year, however, Bo was saving for the future. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I have no idea what I am talking about.

Also - one more thing. I seem to remember Pelini redshirting a bunch of players, and even after injuries saying that he wouldn't burn the redshirts. I bet there was probably some talent in those redshirted players that would have helped us out alot last year, however, Pelini kept the redshirts rather then burning them. I just feel like we could have been much better last year, however, Bo was saving for the future. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I have no idea what I am talking about.

No you are right. Bo did redshirt some 50 players last year, including all but 2 or 3 of the scholarship players. Compton for one almost got put in several times. Bo made a decision to build up the depth of the program long term (hurt by the recent trend of Clownahan recruiting a high level of JUCOs) vs. short term success.

I don't have his official stats on-hand, but he made a huge impact at the juco level. Woods team didn't win a championship, but he was first team all conference and ranked in the top 30 juco players at season's end. He was committed to Michigan out of high school as a 3 star recruit (not that stars really matter). Then he was 6'4 215lbs. Now he is 6'6 245.

All this conjecture is meaningless. All these ridiculous comparisons you guys want to do between Woods and Zac Lee are ridiculous. There is no way to compare a JUCO QB to a JUCO DE. It's apples and potatoes.

Bottom line - both Kansas and Nebraska will have good teams. Both lost some good players, both have some good players returning, and both have some good players stepping up from obscurity.

Hey Lee was the top rated JUCO QB and the 10th best JUCO player overall!!! He has to be better than Woods right?!?!?! Anyway, I wasn't comparing Lee to Woods, JGS30 did that. I was commenting on his ability to be a big impact this year and I was commenting on how Lee has more "ability" than Ganz. Somehow JGS made it a comparison.

:snacks:

Okay...Let me run this down and you guys make sure I am on track.

:duel

NU Fan- We will win the North

KU Fan - No! We will win the North

NU Fan - I dont think so KU fan. We have the most talent

KU Fan - Talent!?! Have you seen our QB and WR's? Who are your skill players again?....

NU Fan- Skill players smill players. U can't run or throw with out an O-Line. Ours is the best in the North.

-Our D line is the best in the north. We owned your lines last year.

KU Fan - We have some great new players on our lines. We will be better

NU Fan - Well Our D will be the best and yours sucked

KU fan - Sucked?? Really?! Did you know that your D was barely better than ours last year?

NU Fan - Maybe so, :unsure: but they were still BETTER. And did you know we are going to have a bunch

- of new players. They are AWESOME!! :horns2

KU fan - We have new players that are AWESOME TOO!! :(

NU Fan - Not as AWESOME as ours!! Our RS freshmen are better than your RS freshman

KU fan - Says who?? WHo made the rule that all your new players are soooo much better than ours??

NU fan - Thats just because I know about our players and have no clue about yours! so take that!

KU Fan - Well your QB has never played and came from a JUCO <_<

NU fan - But his team won the championship!!!

Ku Fan - Oh Yeah! Well we have a new DL that is AWESOME and he will sack your QB. Because he was an

- all conference JUCO player!! yeah. Went agaisnt all kinds of talent there! So take that!

Nu fan - What?!....Wait....I'm confused. :huh:

KU fan - Yeah!! thats right. We're better

NU Fan - No way hawk fan! We're better

Ku fan - No way!

NU fan - Yes WAY!

:facepalm:

Does that about cover it?

:clap

Hey Lee was the top rated JUCO QB and the 10th best JUCO player overall!!! He has to be better than Woods right?!?!?! Anyway, I wasn't comparing Lee to Woods, JGS30 did that. I was commenting on his ability to be a big impact this year and I was commenting on how Lee has more "ability" than Ganz. Somehow JGS made it a comparison.

I NEVER COMPARED THE PLAYERS THEMSELVES TO EACH OTHER!!! We were talking about how ready each will be after their experience. You can't compare them-the positions are to different.

:snacks:

Okay...Let me run this down and you guys make sure I am on track.

NU Fan- We will win the North

KU Fan - No! We will win the North

NU Fan - I dont think so KU fan. We have the most talent

KU Fan - Talent!?! Have you seen our QB and WR's? Who are your skill players again?....

NU Fan- Skill players smill players. U can't run or throw with out an O-Line. Ours is the best in the North.

-Our D line is the best in the north. We owned your lines last year.

KU Fan - We have some great new players on our lines. We will be better

NU Fan - Well Our D will be the best and yours sucked

KU fan - Sucked?? Really?! Did you know that your D was barely better than ours last year?

NU Fan - Maybe so, :unsure: but they were still BETTER. And did you know we are going to have a bunch

- of new players. They are AWESOME!! :horns2

KU fan - We have new players that are AWESOME TOO!! :(

NU Fan - Not as AWESOME as ours!! Our RS freshmen are better than your RS freshman

KU fan - Says who?? WHo made the rule that all your new players are soooo much better than ours??

NU fan - Thats just because I know about our players and have no clue about yours! so take that!

KU Fan - Well your QB has never played and came from a JUCO <_<

NU fan - But his team won the championship!!!

Ku Fan - Oh Yeah! Well we have a new DL that is AWESOME and he will sack your QB. Because he was an

- all conference JUCO player!! yeah. Went agaisnt all kinds of talent there! So take that!

Nu fan - What?!....Wait....I'm confused. :huh:

KU fan - Yeah!! thats right. We're better

NU Fan - No way hawk fan! We're better

Ku fan - No way!

NU fan - Yes WAY!

:facepalm:

Does that about cover it?

:clap

That about covers it! :nanalama Oh wait.......NO WAY!!!