BIG 12 NORTH PRESEASON FORECAST

FWIW - Steele has a "blog" where he lists the o-line starts for every team.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/June09/DBJune2.html

Nebraska's about the middle of the pack, while Kansas is near the bottom of all the NCAA. Oklahoma is pretty far down the list as well.

EDIT: Adding another link to sacks allowed from 2008:

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year...ed&site=org

KU ranked 96th. (Nebr ranked 43rd).

Nebraska's about the middle of the pack, while Kansas is near the bottom of all the NCAA. Oklahoma is pretty far down the list as well.

I know they are young. Doesn't mean they are not going to be good. It funny how some fans claim your DB's and LB's and WR's and QB is going to be fine even if they are young, but it cannot happen at KU.

Can't wait for the Colorado St / Wake Forest National Championship game.

:facepalm: lol

What about your D on paper makes you think it'll be better than last year when you lost all three linebackers? Can you fill me in on that?

Losing the LB's deff hurts. But from what i'm reading "paper" is that the new LB's are ready to step up with one being a RB who likes to hit in Quigley (see here). It also looks like we are going to the new thing in the B12 with 2 LB's. The 4-2-5 they call it i believe. The line looks to have more depth and there could be one or two FR playing on the line.

He's defintely not afraid of contact, but how are his instincts at getting to the ball?

The nickel package you are talking about is quite common when defending against pass happy teams (i.e. the Big 12) However, if a couple of those DB's aren't hybrid safety/LB's a defense will have a hard time stopping the run. This is exactly why football is so cyclical. Defenses stack for the run and the offenses become pass happy, this forces the defense to play the pass and offenses revert back to pounding the ball. You have to find a balance somewhere in your talent, and the good defensive coaches do.

From what I'm hearing/reading Quigley has a very solid understanding of LB and is impressing the coaches, I do not know if he will be the day 1 starter or not. Our S is solid in Stuckey and our other DB's should be about average. They looked bad last year cause the damn line couldn't get to the QB and the LB's where injured for most of the season. The line has to be the biggest improvement this year for us on D. Last year wasn't a bad year though as you guys seem to think. If we could have won in Lincoln KU would have been the north rep in the B12CG, quite an accomplishment considering our schedule last year and our O/D line play. Our OL sucked horribly last year and it should be improved this year, even with the loss of the 3 on the line. Reesing is not a stranger to having to run for his life so I am not as worried about the OL.

I agree. I watched the KU spring game twice-once in person and once on tv, and Quigley played well at linebacker. However, I think senior Arist Wright will get the nod over him, along with Springer at the other LB spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see KU use Quigley as a blitzing linebacker in the right situations. He has great quickness and speed. He would excell in that role.

I think our d-line will improve greatly. I really like this Jake Laptad kid. He reminds me a lot of Jarred Allen. He has a motor that never stops and he recorded like 7 sacks last year. Not bad for a kid that only got to start half the season. I see him having a major impact off the edge. I also like what i've been hearing about this Quinton Woods kid. Apparently KU coaches are saying he's the real deal, and could be the best defensive end we've had since Charlton Keith. I hope it's true!

R :nanalama

I know they are young. Doesn't mean they are not going to be good. It funny how some fans claim your DB's and LB's and WR's and QB is going to be fine even if they are young, but it cannot happen at KU.

Nobody has said that. All that anybody has said is that our young guys, who we name and point out the strengths of, are going to be better than the guys they are replacing. The reason people are saying they don't see any improvement from KU is because you haven't told us anybody who is going to improve your team. Saying the KU OL in going to be better just because, doesn't answer any questions or provide any evidence to support your claim. I think we have provided plenty of proof(opinions) to support our claims, we just ask that you do the same.

I personally never said anyone was good (or bad), just presented information. Besides, this time of year we are all undefeated and equally optimistic that our replacements will improve the team. I personally want to see some games before I make any predictions. Even then, I will get them wrong, I'm sure.

Lack of game experience is not the same as young. Jr and Sr who know the system and have the physical conditioning for 2 or 3 years should do better than Fr who played HS last year or rFr with one year of system experience.

Now, THAT's what I'm talking about! :clap

Nobody has said that. All that anybody has said is that our young guys, who we name and point out the strengths of, are going to be better than the guys they are replacing. The reason people are saying they don't see any improvement from KU is because you haven't told us anybody who is going to improve your team. Saying the KU OL in going to be better just because, doesn't answer any questions or provide any evidence to support your claim. I think we have provided plenty of proof(opinions) to support our claims, we just ask that you do the same.

here is what i posted earlier:

RT: Jeff Spikes (6'6" 314lbs) (SO) Freshman starter last year, Moving to RT this year.

Ian Wolfe (6'5" 295lbs)

RG: John Williams (6'4" 338lbs) Freshman so couldn't start last year. Check him out.

Carl Wilson (6'4" 292lbs)

C: Jeremiah Hatch (6'3" 311lbs) (SO) Played RT last year as a freshman. Check him out here

Brad Thorson (6'3" 290lbs)

LG: Sal Capra (6'4" 292lbs) (JR) Was on the field in some big games and did a great job.

Trevor Marrongelli (6'4" 285lbs)

LT: Tanner Hawkinson (6'6" 260lbs) (FR) didn't start last year. Check him out here Supposedly up to 285-290 now. When Mangino was asked about him gaining weight his reply was simply "have you seen the kid lately?!"

They are young and i am worried. But on paper they should be better. Kids moving back to their natural position and some young guys with great potential. I think they will do ok, and with Reesing, Meier, Briscoe, and Wilson, an OK line translates to a ton of points. And do not forget about Sharp.

To further my point about how important an experienced O-Line is, here are some articles that talk about the subject of returning starts on the O-line.

Offensive-Line Experience Can Predict Success

The Count: Using College O-Lines to Handicap This Fall

Number of returning O-Line Starts by Conference

Note that Kansas is dead last, NU is tied for 4th and only a few behind 3rd.

Watch out for Baylor and ISU!

By the way, who has the sig "Google f**king hillbillies, Did you you mean Oklahoma Sooners"

I want to know how to get something similar to that.

here is what i posted earlier:

RT: Jeff Spikes (6'6" 314lbs) (SO) Freshman starter last year, Moving to RT this year.

Ian Wolfe (6'5" 295lbs)

RG: John Williams (6'4" 338lbs) Freshman so couldn't start last year. Check him out.

Carl Wilson (6'4" 292lbs)

C: Jeremiah Hatch (6'3" 311lbs) (SO) Played RT last year as a freshman. Check him out here

Brad Thorson (6'3" 290lbs)

LG: Sal Capra (6'4" 292lbs) (JR) Was on the field in some big games and did a great job.

Trevor Marrongelli (6'4" 285lbs)

LT: Tanner Hawkinson (6'6" 260lbs) (FR) didn't start last year. Check him out here Supposedly up to 285-290 now. When Mangino was asked about him gaining weight his reply was simply "have you seen the kid lately?!"

They are young and i am worried. But on paper they should be better. Kids moving back to their natural position and some young guys with great potential. I think they will do ok, and with Reesing, Meier, Briscoe, and Wilson, an OK line translates to a ton of points. And do not forget about Sharp.

I am not how they will be better THIS year. I agree the young players you have on the O-Line look promising, but if you are going to tell me that 2 RFr. (one who was a TE and DE and has no meaningful time as an O-Lineman dating back to HS), 2 RSo. (one of which is switching positions), and a Jr., I don't see how they could be better than the experienced Seniors that played last year? I think Hatch may be pretty good at Center, but that position is unique in that you have to be able to read defenses to call pass protection. He doesn't have any experience doing this, at least in college, and it isn't something you just pick up over night. You only get that through experience, go ask the Colts if they missed Saturday last year. If you want to tell me that in 2010 or 2011 this unit will be good, then I will agree with you. 2009 will not be a great year for the KU O-Line IMO.

To further my point about how important an experienced O-Line is, here are some articles that talk about the subject of returning starts on the O-line.

Offensive-Line Experience Can Predict Success

The Count: Using College O-Lines to Handicap This Fall

Number of returning O-Line Starts by Conference

Note that Kansas is dead last, NU is tied for 4th and only a few behind 3rd.

Watch out for Baylor and ISU!

By the way, who has the sig "Google f**king hillbillies, Did you you mean Oklahoma Sooners"

I want to know how to get something similar to that.

Big Willie has that as his signature. I have tried it, didn't get the same results, I think it may have been changed prior to the screen shot. Still hilarious though.

My thoughts:

Kansas...I know I picked you to finish first in the North but, lets face it, your O-line was not one of the reasons, no matter how many freshmen you throw in there. This is a reworked line that I watched Iowa State tear to shreds for 3 quarters. The biggest asset your team has (both figuratively and literally) is Mangino. He and his coaching staff are experienced enough to make adjustments on the fly that enable KU to stay in ballgames. Your whole season is going to rise and fall on the passing game. If Reesing and company can't score boatloads of points then you won't be going anywhere because, frankly, your running game isn't all that and in a conference where passing seems to be the norm, your passing defense really isn't all that impressive either.

Nebraska...The defense, I think, is going to work out IF the secondary comes together. I'm not too worried about stuffing the run as the line seems pretty capable of handling that. What I am worried about if the youth of the LB and the lapses into idiocy in the secondary that I saw last year. Mainly though, it's the LB's. They'll be looking at a lot of spread formations with quick hitters on inside slants and to the sidelines. They have to be ready. On offense, my thoughts are that if NU bucks the odds and goes back to pounding the ball on the ground with the occassional pass to keep defenses honest, they may be unstoppable. Looking around the league, I don't see a lot of nose tackles that going to be able to stand up to four quarters of pounding...and with some teams switching to gimmicky 4-2-5 defenses, there's going to be a lot of open ground available for bruisers like Castille once they get by the line. Plus, it gives time for Lee to acclimate himself. A few more forced turnovers by the defense and a few less by the offense would help. NU is a legitimate North champion.

The last comments I have are reserved for Baylor. I have nothing against Baylor mind you, but I've seen lots and lots of freshmen phenoms like Griffin over the years who look real good in their first year but then manage to sink or get pounded into the background their sophomore year. This might not be the case but it'll all depend on the supporting cast. Finley appears to be a decent back and Wright had his moments receiving (mostly against ISU...the idiot) but you lost a big part of your D-line and a couple of guys out of your defensive backfield and O-line. You have no depth at QB and the whole team is going to be pretty much rebuilding (even if you still have Sledge...and you gotta love a player named Sledge) if you lose Griffin or he has a bad year, Baylor is pretty much finished. Nothing personal but one player, even if he is a QB, is not going to bring a team from the loser catagory to the contender status...unless his name is Seneca Wallace.