BIG 12 NORTH PRESEASON FORECAST

Yeah

Why are we comparing WR and RBs?

You put Bradford behind last years KU O Line and he looks just like Reesing.

Exactly and now KU's line is potentially weaker, so how does that translate into a win? And we're comparing offensive weapons which can score points, since that was your point in earlier posts.

Cause our line will be better this year. Did you not see the KU/OU game last year. We didn't get blown out and it was a 7 point game in the 3rd Q. I'm not saying KU will score more points then OU all season. It just has to be one game. OU DOES have questions on their O and D this year also.

Yeah, but they have a much better track record of re-loading with talent in those positions than KU. And if only football was 3 quarters long....

Yeah

Why are we comparing WR and RBs?

You put Bradford behind last years KU O Line and he looks just like Reesing.

Exactly and now KU's line is potentially weaker, so how does that translate into a win? And we're comparing offensive weapons which can score points, since that was your point in earlier posts.

Cause our line will be better this year. Did you not see the KU/OU game last year. We didn't get blown out and it was a 7 point game in the 3rd Q. I'm not saying KU will score more points then OU all season. It just has to be one game. OU DOES have questions on their O and D this year also.

Yeah, but they have a much better track record of re-loading with talent in those positions than KU. And if only football was 3 quarters long....

lol. if only it was. I know they are going to reload, but I refuse to say that someone is going to be good before they even step on the field.

Here is how our average D line compared stat wise to your "best in the big12 d line"

Rushing D

#21 Nebraska 3.62 ypc

#28 KU 3.94 ypc

Tackles for Loss

#40 Nebraska 6.31 p/g

#40 KU 6.31 p/g

Sacks

#14 Nebraska 35 total

#40 KU 29 total

Wow, guess your D Line was pretty average last year. Hopefully you guys can improve that.

I said your defense, which means more than just your d-line, was average last year. I'm not saying our D was great last year, but given the circumstances (new head coach, learning new defensive plays, not very much depth at key positions, etc.) I think they played pretty good, especially towards the end of the season.

I won't be worried about our d-line next year. We have Suh and Allen (returning starters from last year) coming back and don't forget about Turner (was a starter last year, back on a medical redshirt). Jared Crick also had plenty of playing time last year, so I don't think we will be suffering along the d-line. The only thing I am worried about is depth; specifically our two and three deep are thin on experience. So, some younger kids are going to have to step up.

PS. The O line will be much improved. And they couldn't block anyone last year and we almost beat OU in Norman. How did your D Line hold up in that game?

You almost beat OU in Norman last year so that means your offensive line will be much improved this year. That is what you are saying with the above comment. Tell me how that makes any sense at all. The fact of the matter is that KU will have one of the most inexperienced o-lines in the Big 12. They weren't very good last year (just watch some of KU's games last year and see how they get manhandled) and I don't see anything that tells me they will improve greatly this year.

If KU fans can continously say how "inexperienced" our QB is, then we can definitely point out the fact that KU's o-line is inexperienced. There are many factors that indicate whether a team will be good or not; one of those is how they play in the trenches. I think NU will have the advantage there.

Just my opinion.

lol. if only it was. I know they are going to reload, but I refuse to say that someone is going to be good before they even step on the field.

...and yet you keep doing exactly that with your "our o-line will be improved" comment.

no. i'm talking about the moves on the O line. I believe the LT is moving to RG and the C is moving to LT (his natural position) LT was are big weakness last year.

I said your defense, which means more than just your d-line, was average last year. I'm not saying our D was great last year, but given the circumstances (new head coach, learning new defensive plays, not very much depth at key positions, etc.) I think they played pretty good, especially towards the end of the season.

Just my opinion.

I agree that our D was average last year. But so was yours, look at scoring D if you do not believe me. And in the B12 you need good LB's and DB. Your biggest question mark on D. Do not forget that we lost our DC last year to Miami and also 2 all Americans off our D. So given the circumstances I think they played pretty well for about 10 of the 13 games. About the same as UNL's D. Don't get me wrong. I think the DL and the OL edge goes to Neb, but if you can't stop Reesing's passes your DL doesn't matter as KU uses quick reads to negate a heavy rushing D.

I agree that our D was average last year. But so was yours, look at scoring D if you do not believe me. And in the B12 you need good LB's and DB. Your biggest question mark on D. Do not forget that we lost our DC last year to Miami and also 2 all Americans off our D. So given the circumstances I think they played pretty well for about 10 of the 13 games. About the same as UNL's D. Don't get me wrong. I think the DL and the OL edge goes to Neb, but if you can't stop Reesing's passes your DL doesn't matter as KU uses quick reads to negate a heavy rushing D.

Yeah, Reesing won't be able to do quick passes all day long. I'm pretty sure Bo - one of the best defensive minds in college football - might catch onto that.

No way KU beats two from Texas, Texas Tech or Oklahoma. I don't see a win there at all. No matter how improved you are on DEF, you still gave up nearly 50 points a game to these three teams, and two of those games were at home. You play Tech and the Horns on the road this year.

Kansas ended the season 89th in Total Defense and you're replacing all three linebackers. Yes, you have a solid D-Line and experience in the DEF backfield, but let's be honest here - two wins? Not happening, not with those offenses playing that defense.

how come your newcomers can improve your team, but ridiculous that our will help us?

Because Nebraska is better, that's why!!

The reason Nebraska will improve is because the majority of our newcomers are more talented, faster, and more well-coached than the guys they are replacing. Most of the guys lost were not what we would consider stars. Regardless, the team ended up pretty well last year, tying for 1st in the North and beating Clemson in their bowl game. It is only logical to say that if a team plays well and replaces a few ok players with players who are better, the team will improve.

By the way, nobody said your newcomers wouldn't improve your team. It has only been said that they still won't be as good as Nebraska. Kansas is banking on the returning stars, who still only managed to snag 3rd place in North last year, to lead the team to a championship. If that's the case, where is the improvement coming from? I haven't heard you mention anybody besides Reesing and your receivers as reasons for your optimism. Where is the improvement on your defense and where is it on your O-line? Even if your newcomers are an improvement, do you really believe it'll be enough to surpass the improvements made by Nebraska?

The jayhawk has a point. You can't simply say that all the 8 new replacements on offense are immediately going to be better than the players that left. Especially your receivers replacements. I've tried to make this arguement in the past, and it's not that simple. Not all players are going to develop to perfection.

Examples: Oklahoma: Rhett Bomar vs Sam Bradford. Bomar was the #1 QB recruit in the nation. Bradford was not even closely considered as such a high recruit. Bradford developed, Bomar didn't. Baylor's #2 NFL draft pick, Jason Smith, and our other tackle from last year, Dan Gay, are both now in the NFL. Both were just 2 star recruits. We just replaced them both with 4 star recruits. Does that mean our O-line will be better? Not immediately, I don't care who's developing the players. You just don't find those kind of players everyday no matter what caliber star they are.

Kansas and Nebraska will both be good next year. From the outside looking in....neither team can boast to be better than the other yet. Both have questions....just different one's. Kansas does have one big plus that Nebraska doesn't though....a stud at QB with proven experience.

This is a horrible example to cite for your case. First of all Bomar was a 2004 recruit and Brafford was a 2006 recruit. In 2006 Bomar was in line to be the starter until he got caught in that whole Car Dealership paying him scandal. Brafford was just barely on campus. Had Bomar stayed out of trouble, he most likely would be the stud at OU over Brafford in 2007. Don't forget that Bomar leaving caused OU to put in a Sr. WR back into the QB position that year. It wasn't until 2007 that Brafford as a RFr. got the starting nod. Instead Bomar got in trouble and left and his development was stunted because of that.

Yeah, Reesing won't be able to do quick passes all day long. I'm pretty sure Bo - one of the best defensive minds in college football - might catch onto that.

I'm not trashing Bo here, I am one of the few outsiders of B12 fans that believes you guys got a great hire. He may not be the best HC in the B12 but he is exactly what Nub needed after the callahan debacle. I'm talking about your LB's and DB's. (i'm very worried about ours) If he does those little slants to meier or a longer slant to briscoe it could be a very long day for the blackshirts. Then you will have to drop Suh into coverage or put 3 on the L and that negates the whole reason you needed to do the quick slants, giving Reesing time to create something. Or what, Blitz the crap out of Reesing, please do. Granted it could go the other way and not work, but just on paper, i do not see how the blackshirts can stop it. And sharp is a good RB, if we can get you guys thinking pass every play Sharp will get some big runs, he did it against OU, I believe he avg 8.6 ypc that game. The problem that game was the OU O against the KU D, which has to improve, the season depends on it.

After reading through the above posts, I find it quite interesting that so many find fault and like to bang on the Nebraska D!! Not just players, but the entire D. So far I've seen posts stating they give up too many points, they're too young, there's no speed, offensive output is too much... the list is endless. As if the lack of defense is going to be a weak point on this team.

When one actually looks at the stats , Nebraska finished 1st in the North in total defense and 2nd overall in the Big 12. Add to this, the return of the core players, better knowledge of the schemes and improved speed and talent at linebacker and in the secondary, and you're looking at what should be a much improved defensive side this year. That's not to say that they still cannot be beat, but as it is well known, defense wins championships and the Huskers will have a good one. Which is the exact reason why Pelini was brought in.

We're also going to see a drop in offensive numbers this year in the Big 12, especially in the North. (With the exception of OU and Texas in the South) This will bode well for the Huskers who are already one of the top defensive teams in the league. Kansas, which looks to be the top offensive team in the North is returning a few key offensive players, but is also lacking an O-line and a defense. As a team that finished 7th in the Big 12 in total offensive last year, they'll hardly be the explosive juggernaut KU fans are predicting. Missouri is in the same boat, after losing Booger, Maclin, and Coffman on offense and a slew of defensive talent they have a lot to make up for. This sets the Huskers up well and if they click on offense, not only will they be a force in the North, but look for them to push the South winner for the league title as well.

Offensively, the Huskers will employ a steady stream of power running, play-action, rollouts, option, screens and an occasional deep ball. Not so much either the west coast or the spread, but a simpler, condensed version of both with a touch of classic smashmouth. This will play to the strengths of Lee, as well as the strengths of the entire Husker offense. Helu, Castille, Mendoza, Paul, Holt, Brooks, the corps of tight ends and the entire O-line have way too much experience and speed to falter with this type of game plan. Add in the newcomers and things appear much brighter than the haters would have you believe. If Lee gets comfortable early, look for Watson to open up the playbook a little, which will make the team even more explosive and harder to defend.

This is going to be a great year boys. Look for the Huskers to improve upon last year, especially on the defensive side of the ball. With that being said here's my picks for the North. GBR!!

1. Nebraska

2. Missouri

3. Kansas

4. Colorado

5. Iowa State

6. K-State

I think you nailed it right there. Kansas will not be that good this year. 3rd is a solid pick I would say. You have a new offensive line and lost your starting linebackers who were on a bad defense anyways. So your defense goes from bad to worst. Missouri has some talent, however, I really believe they will have to establish a run game this year. If they don't then I am already counting them out of winning the north. Nebraska has the most talent by far. Some Missouri fan said we had no o-line...Oh we have an O-line and its pretty deep. Our WR's will be just fine with Mendoza in the slot and our TE's are amazing. Our DB's will make a lot of headway and you will see our turnover margin start heading back in the positive. Nebraska has had trouble in the turnover margin after 2003 when we had +21 that year, and that's not because of the players. Mark my words, you guys' that underestimate Nebraska will be shocked when you see them on the field.

Because Nebraska is better, that's why!!

The reason Nebraska will improve is because the majority of our newcomers are more talented, faster, and more well-coached than the guys they are replacing. Most of the guys lost were not what we would consider stars. Regardless, the team ended up pretty well last year, tying for 1st in the North and beating Clemson in their bowl game. It is only logical to say that if a team plays well and replaces a few ok players with players who are better, the team will improve.

By the way, nobody said your newcomers wouldn't improve your team. It has only been said that they still won't be as good as Nebraska. Kansas is banking on the returning stars, who still only managed to snag 3rd place in North last year, to lead the team to a championship. If that's the case, where is the improvement coming from? I haven't heard you mention anybody besides Reesing and your receivers as reasons for your optimism. Where is the improvement on your defense and where is it on your O-line? Even if your newcomers are an improvement, do you really believe it'll be enough to surpass the improvements made by Nebraska?

The jayhawk has a point. You can't simply say that all the 8 new replacements on offense are immediately going to be better than the players that left. Especially your receivers replacements. I've tried to make this arguement in the past, and it's not that simple. Not all players are going to develop to perfection.

Examples: Oklahoma: Rhett Bomar vs Sam Bradford. Bomar was the #1 QB recruit in the nation. Bradford was not even closely considered as such a high recruit. Bradford developed, Bomar didn't. Baylor's #2 NFL draft pick, Jason Smith, and our other tackle from last year, Dan Gay, are both now in the NFL. Both were just 2 star recruits. We just replaced them both with 4 star recruits. Does that mean our O-line will be better? Not immediately, I don't care who's developing the players. You just don't find those kind of players everyday no matter what caliber star they are.

Kansas and Nebraska will both be good next year. From the outside looking in....neither team can boast to be better than the other yet. Both have questions....just different one's. Kansas does have one big plus that Nebraska doesn't though....a stud at QB with proven experience.

Here's jayhawks point: We have a great QB and receivers therefore we will have a better team than last year.

I said no, you are replacing your O-line, your defense sucks, and the same QB and receivers also played on your team last year, which only managed to finish 3rd in the North, so how does he figure to have a better team. He has not argued in anyway that his O-line or defense have made any improvements, so how can we assume the team is better. Since the team cannot get better without actually improving the players, I think it would be safe to assume the Jayhawks did not get better. If they did not get better from last year, how can they possibly expect to beat Nebraska, whom they lost to last year and who has improved this year. Like it has already been stated by another poster, I don't follow KU football close enough to know everything that is going on in the program. So, if there are improvements please state them.

Not sure if I'm following your example, because if anything Bradford's success has proven exactly what I am discussing. He just needed the opportunity to showcase his talent. When Bomar was booted, Bradford stepped up and the rest is history. You're arguing the improvements in talent as if I'm referring to stars and recruiting service grading, when what I'm talking about is the players receiving an opportunity. I don't think you'll find any of the players I mentioned were all that highly rated, with maybe the exception of Paul. Does that mean they aren't great players? Absolutely not, it just means nobody bothered to look at anything besides their size, speed, statistics and maybe an occasional film clip. The players wouldn't be at Nebraska if they didn't have talent, now all they need is the opportunity to showcase it.

Nobody said all 8 are better, I said the majority. There's a difference. Sure, there's no proof positive way to tell how a player will impact the team until he actually plays in the game, but if the coaches words, which I tend to believe, are any indication, this years replacements are ready for the challenge. Even though Ganz, Peterson, & Swift will be greatly missed on offense, their departure also opens up the door for other playmakers to step up. Guys with plenty of experience who were not afforded the opportunity because of the success of those three.

Helu and Castille have proven quite capable of receiving more carries and making the most of them. The plethora of tight ends, a mixture of power and speed, played a respective role in last years offense and are itching for the opportunity of more balls this year. Both will result if the new receivers don't impact the game as much as Peterson and Swift.

Holt, Brooks, Henry, Gilleylen, Paul, and Mendoza all have adequate experience and talent to step up. All bring more speed and explosiveness than either Swift or Peterson ever had. The only thing lacking is reliability. But how can that be expected when anytime the Huskers needed a play Ganz looked for and found either Swift or Peterson. That doesn't mean the other receivers aren't capable, rather that Ganz had more faith in Swift/Peterson and never needed the other guys to step up. Add to the mix a new QB with no preconceived reads or tendencies along with the talents of Bell, Marlowe, and Cooper and your looking at a group of receivers who are quite capable of filling the void.

Lee, yes he's unproven at the D1 level, but I fully trust Watson and if he thinks Lee can handle it, then I'll have to agree. The talent and experience the Huskers have returning on offense, with the running backs, O-line, and tight ends, will make his transition much more smooth. Sure, the offense probably won't be as open as it was last year, but that isn't needed in order to win. The Huskers have the ability to grind a game out and I'm sure we'll see a lot more of that this year.

I'm not trashing Bo here, I am one of the few outsiders of B12 fans that believes you guys got a great hire. He may not be the best HC in the B12 but he is exactly what Nub needed after the callahan debacle. I'm talking about your LB's and DB's. (i'm very worried about ours) If he does those little slants to meier or a longer slant to briscoe it could be a very long day for the blackshirts. Then you will have to drop Suh into coverage or put 3 on the L and that negates the whole reason you needed to do the quick slants, giving Reesing time to create something. Or what, Blitz the crap out of Reesing, please do. Granted it could go the other way and not work, but just on paper, i do not see how the blackshirts can stop it. And sharp is a good RB, if we can get you guys thinking pass every play Sharp will get some big runs, he did it against OU, I believe he avg 8.6 ypc that game. The problem that game was the OU O against the KU D, which has to improve, the season depends on it.

Sorry, jayhawker but your chickenhawks, just like last year, are going down!! In case you need a reminder, Here'swhat happened last year with a fairly inexperienced and definitely not as talented, Husker D.

Ah, welcome newb Jayhawk. :cheers

Drop Suh into coverage to cover the slant? I hope you were trying to be funny. Now lets talk "on paper" for a minute. Don't get me wrong, Reesing, Meier, and Brisco are a formidable combination, but it all starts up front. On paper Nebraska clearly has the advantage. Last year, Nebraska clearly dominated this battle, as Reesing was sacked 5 times. Keep in mind, Nebraska returns Suh (2.5 sacks against KU last year), Pierre Allen (1 sack against KU last year), and Barry Turner next year and they will be facing a very green KU O-line. I am not saying that we are going to run away with it, but if we can dominate both sides of the line of scrimmage, which on paper, seems likely, then we should win this game.

:rant