BIG 12 NORTH PRESEASON FORECAST

agreed. The big difference between moo, nub, and ku last year was baylor. There would have been a 3 way tie at the top if all three played the same schedule.

Probably. Another very important difference was that Nebraska was cutting in a new, first-time head coach and new schemes on offense & defense, while Missouri and Kansas were playing with long-term coaching staffs in place, with the same schemes they've been running for years. That cannot be discounted.

agreed. The big difference between moo, nub, and ku last year was baylor. There would have been a 3 way tie at the top if all three played the same schedule.

Probably. Another very important difference was that Nebraska was cutting in a new, first-time head coach and new schemes on offense & defense, while Missouri and Kansas were playing with long-term coaching staffs in place, with the same schemes they've been running for years. That cannot be discounted.

it cannot be discounted at all, but neither can the fact that MU and UNL are cutting in new WR and QB's this year, while KU will have one of the best groups in the nation.

UNL is losing 234 points (39tds) this year and MU is losing 439 (50tds)(losing their kicker) points. KU will be losing 30 points (5tds). I know some players will step up and earn back some of these points but I do not see how UNL or MU is going to be able to come close to matching the points totals from last year with your and MU's talent level on O currently.

it cannot be discounted at all, but neither can the fact that MU and UNL are cutting in new WR and QB's this year, while KU will have one of the best groups in the nation.

They had "one of the best groups" last year to. How well did that work out for ya?

They had "one of the best groups" last year to. How well did that work out for ya?

see my edited post above

UNL is losing 234 points (39tds) this year and MU is losing 439 (50tds)(losing their kicker) points. KU will be losing 30 points (5tds). I know some players will step up and earn back some of these points but I do not see how UNL or MU is going to be able to come close to matching the points totals from last year with your and MU's talent level on O currently.

Those stats are interesting, but you're talking about an entire offensive unit and you're attributing the points earned to specific players. The flaw in this argument is that sometimes the talent level improves despite graduating starters.

Very easily. As I stated in a previous post.

Offensively, the Huskers will employ a steady stream of power running, play-action, rollouts, option, screens and an occasional deep ball. Not so much either the west coast or the spread, but a simpler, condensed version of both with a touch of classic smashmouth. This will play to the strengths of Lee, as well as the strengths of the entire Husker offense. Helu, Castille, Mendoza, Paul, Holt, Brooks, the corps of tight ends and the entire O-line have way too much experience and speed to falter with this type of game plan. Add in the newcomers and things appear much brighter than the haters would have you believe. If Lee gets comfortable early, look for Watson to open up the playbook a little, which will make the team even more explosive and harder to defend.

Let's remember that Zac Lee isn't some wide-eyed Freshman taking over this offense. He's been in-system for two seasons now and prior to that he led his Juco to the California Juco championship game. That doesn't mean a lot when it comes to Big XII competition, but it means more than having simply played well in High School.

Let's remember that Zac Lee isn't some wide-eyed Freshman taking over this offense. He's been in-system for two seasons now and prior to that he led his Juco to the California Juco championship game. That doesn't mean a lot when it comes to Big XII competition, but it means more than having simply played well in High School.

From what I've seen, JuCo QB's bust waaay more often than not. It doesn't matter how highly rated they were when transferring. There is a reason why he's only thrown 2 passes at Nebraska. He might prove to be good eventually, but he won't be Ganz. I'm just saying Nebraska's defense is gonna carry them to victories more than the offense is gonna with game winning touchdowns next year. IMO, returning starting QB's and O-line's are the most important factors in sustaining success. You have 1 of the 2 working for you next year.

Offensively, the Huskers will employ a steady stream of power running, play-action, rollouts, option, screens and an occasional deep ball. Not so much either the west coast or the spread, but a simpler, condensed version of both with a touch of classic smashmouth. This will play to the strengths of Lee, as well as the strengths of the entire Husker offense. Helu, Castille, Mendoza, Paul, Holt, Brooks, the corps of tight ends and the entire O-line have way too much experience and speed to falter with this type of game plan. Add in the newcomers and things appear much brighter than the haters would have you believe. If Lee gets comfortable early, look for Watson to open up the playbook a little, which will make the team even more explosive and harder to defend.

I think you are going to need to score more than that. I know your D is going to be pretty good. But pretty good is still #80 in scoring D. I still am on record as saying that KU will win 2 of the 3 from the south.

I think you are going to need to score more than that. I know your D is going to be pretty good. But pretty good is still #80 in scoring D. I still am on record as saying that KU will win 2 of the 3 from the south.

I don't think KU has the D to stop OU or UT this year so I don't see 2 out of 3 wins. NU on the other hand may win 2 of 3 from the South this year. Baylor and TT are tough games no doubt, but NU can, and should in my book, win both. OU, even at home, is a stretch though.

No way KU beats two from Texas, Texas Tech or Oklahoma. I don't see a win there at all. No matter how improved you are on DEF, you still gave up nearly 50 points a game to these three teams, and two of those games were at home. You play Tech and the Horns on the road this year.

Kansas ended the season 89th in Total Defense and you're replacing all three linebackers. Yes, you have a solid D-Line and experience in the DEF backfield, but let's be honest here - two wins? Not happening, not with those offenses playing that defense.

Two of the three from the South? Wow. That's a bold statement to make considering how pitiful your offensive line and how average your defense was last year.

All the Jhawk fans keep pointing to their WRs and QB first, but if the o-line isn't able to block anyone, all of that talent and experience will be a waste.

Bear, where are you seeing that Juco QBs are busts more often than not? Is this your own anecdotal experience or do you have some basis for this?

Nearly every QB Baylor has had in the past decade was a 3 or 4 star JuCo transfer (aside from Shawn Bell, and Blake Szymanski). Examples: Dane King, Greg Cicero, Josh Zachry, Michael Machen. They were all God awful and all were 3 and 4 star recruits from successful JuCo's. We were always excited...they were always terrible. Granted, you likely have a much better supporting cast, so I think Lee will be good enough after a few games are under his belt.

Here's an interesting article on recent JuCo transfers:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/29534-c...-to-make-impact

Summary: It's possible get a star, but don't get your hopes up. One positive Lee has though is that he does come from an NFL pedigree.