BIG 12 NORTH PRESEASON FORECAST

Yeah, most juco RB's never do well in their first year, because the speed of the defenses are so much better in D-1. Zac Lee played in a very competitve leauge in california, and has been in our system for 2 years now, so I really expect him to start off as well as Ganz did. But he is a much more talented QB than Ganz overall. We will just have to wait and see. Our running backs are much better than KU's, so that will take alot of pressure off him.

I have been saying it in a few threads now, but I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with Lee's performance this year.

I have also said this in many other threads: Kansas needs to show me that their o-line has drastically improved from last year before ANYONE should be annoiting them first in the North. I seem to recall Reesing finding it very hard to get up off the ground after a while; not only in the Nebraska game, but on several other occasions.

Now am I ready to say NU will be number one in the North? No. I will need to wait until late August to put that out there. Preseason rankings mean nothing, especially when you still have a whole summer to go. However, they are fun to discuss and I love picking up the preseason mags.

I refuse to make a prediction this early though... :)

By the way, does anyone know if you can buy Phil Steele's mag in stores, or do you have to order it online? I picked up Athlon the other day and I also want to get Steele's but couldn't find it on the shelves.

Yeah, most juco RB's never do well in their first year, because the speed of the defenses are so much better in D-1. Zac Lee played in a very competitve leauge in california, and has been in our system for 2 years now, so I really expect him to start off as well as Ganz did. But he is a much more talented QB than Ganz overall. We will just have to wait and see. Our running backs are much better than KU's, so that will take alot of pressure off him.

I have been saying it in a few threads now, but I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with Lee's performance this year.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by his play. Kind of like I was when Keller got the start over Gantz. That was a pleasant surprise. To bad Keller didn't play in Lawrence.

I won't give my North prediction at this time. However, I will not be choosing a team that plans to start a Junior QB that has only thrown 2 career passes in college.

I know you arent talking about Nebraska because counting JUCO he has thrown more than two career passes. ;)

We had the National Juco offensive player of the year at RB, and he did very, very little for us last year...

Oh, and it will be

KU - Best offense, most returning talent. Biggest obstacle is schedule, some more new O-linemen and replacing LBs

NU - Good overall, but secondary and new QB will hurt, pluce play KU in Lawrence

MU - Just lost a lot of good, experienced players.

CU - I see continuous improvement, it is just taking longer than expected

KSU - Snyder's teams were not that good whne he retired, and the talent has dropped

ISU - Brand new Head Coach without a lot f talent. THis is a hard one to call, but the situation lends itself to not a lot of wins....

I may agree you have more proven depth, but I would not say your RBs are much better. Sharp has actually grown in to a good back and is as fast, if not faster in pure speed than anyonein the conference.

We allso have some decent backups emerging, so we will se. I would grat you that all in, your situation is stronger and more proven, but I do not think the edge is as large as you seem to.

1. Kansas - Offense too good for anyone else to challenge. NU, MU will be close but the nod goes to the veteran QB.

5-3: W (ISU, CU, KSU, NU, MU), L (OU, TT, UT)

2. Nebraska - Suh, Helu and a whole bunch of question marks. Historically the second year is a good one for a good new coach, so the defense in particular should be good to very good. Zac Lee could make or break the season.

5-3: W (TT, ISU, BU, KSU, CU), L (MU, KU, OU)

3. Colorado - Hawkins might finally start to produce this year with all his top receiving threats returning.

4-4: W (KSU, MU, TAMU, ISU), L (UT, OSU, NU, KU)

4. Missouri - Gabbert is inexperienced and doesn't have much to work with. The defense was horrible last year and probably won't be much better with only four returning. The Nebraska game will be a good one this time, but the HFA goes to MU.

4-4: W (NU, BU, KSU, ISU), L (OSU, UT, CU, KU)

5. Kansas State - No more riding Freeman's back, which means an ugly season.

1-7: W (ISU), L (TT, TAMU, CU, OU, KU, MU, NU)

6. ISU - Just think, Dan McCarney is sipping a piña colada somewhere in 90-degree weather wearing his big fat National Champions ring. I bet he misses Ames.

0-8: L (KSU, KU, BU, NU, TAMU, OSU, CU, MU)

Of course, if one of those top four teams gets a surprise win against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State or Texas, everything changes. You never know.

1. Kansas- Reesing and receivers are some of the Big 12's best.

2. Nebraska- Incredible defense on paper; Offense has way too many questions.

3.Colorado- Waaaay underrated. The only reason they didn't go bowling is b/c of massive injuries. Oline is back, best RB tandom is back. No passing game.

4. Mizzou- lost way too much to be a North contender. Bowling? maybe.

5. Iowa State- Good QB and quite a bit of returning starters. Better record, but still a losing one.

6. KState- approaching Baylor talent levels from 2000-2001. 5 wins if their lucky. Likely 3 wins.

By the way, does anyone know if you can buy Phil Steele's mag in stores, or do you have to order it online? I picked up Athlon the other day and I also want to get Steele's but couldn't find it on the shelves.

I have seen the Steele ones in bookstores in Omaha in the past

4. Missouri - Gabbert is inexperienced and doesn't have much to work with. The defense was horrible last year and probably won't be much better with only four returning. The Nebraska game will be a good one this time, but the HFA goes to MU.

You give Mizzou too much credit. They had 2 good seasons in a row for the first time under Pinkel. They will not have 3. They will lose to Nebraska handily, and very likely to Baylor. This Mizzou team will resemble their 2004 team.

Here is what I do not understand. Based on last year.

NCAA D Rankings

Rushing

#21 Nebraska

#28 KU

Passing

#89 Nebraska

#114 KU

Scoring

#80 Nebraska

#82 KU

I think both teams have some questions on D but I do not see how loosing as many starters on D that you did is going to translate to a better D.

You give Mizzou too much credit. They had 2 good seasons in a row for the first time under Pinkel. They will not have 3. They will lose to Nebraska handily, and very likely to Baylor. This Mizzou team will resemble their 2004 team.

yeah. :box what he said.

'Bear1979' - You give Mizzou too much credit. They had 2 good seasons in a row for the first time under Pinkel. They will not have 3. They will lose to Nebraska handily, and very likely to Baylor. This Mizzou team will resemble their 2004 team.

yeah. what he said.

Well what he said was stupid. For someone who comes to this board crying about giving Baylor respect and learning about their team you sure are short sighted.

Last year was the 4th bowl game in a row under GP and 5th in 6 years. I think thats just a little better than two good seasons for the first time ever. Maybe just maybe baylor fan we could have our 6th good season in the last 7. I dont know though,you, a Baylor fan, is smack talking, you might know better than the rest of us. But then again what would you know about bowl games and winning seasons....

BTW smart guy, that 2004 team was ranked and absolutly feel apart. So if you said that to imply that team sucked, you have no idea what you are talking about.

P.S. 2004 - MU 30 - Baylor 10. I wonder what you would give up in life just to have Baylor go 5-6....

P.S.S. Dont talk smack with your crappy team on my Tigers when I am having a bad day. I might just bite ya. :madash

I hope you're right, of course, but I just can't see it that way. Nebraska still does not have the personnel in place on defense to deal effectively with Mizzou's offensive system. Just re-watch that game last year. It was pure ugly... us trying to keep up. I know they lost their top three players, but Gabbert is a talent and they have receivers that know what they're doing in that system. They pretty much take Suh out of the game because they don't use much of an inside running game and their passing game has so many quick reads.

Then you have to look at the fact that they've beaten us the last three times in Columbia by an average of 23 points. Generally not a great sign.

Like I said, I expect a close game, but unless our running game really controls the game (I doubt our offensive line will be where we need them that early in the season), the edge certainly goes to them.

Here is what I do not understand. Based on last year.

NCAA D Rankings

Rushing

#21 Nebraska

#28 KU

Passing

#89 Nebraska

#114 KU

Scoring

#80 Nebraska

#82 KU

I think both teams have some questions on D but I do not see how loosing as many starters on D that you did is going to translate to a better D.

More athletic and faster players at LB and CB. And really how many starters did we lose that had any experience on D prior to last year? We lost Potter, but have Turner. We lost our walk-on starting LB's and gain about 4 guys who RS'd last year and return 3 with significant playing time. We lost Murillo and gain Prince, Blue or Gomes. So how did we lose THAT many starters on D?

We're down 1 on the D-line (and will most likely starting a guy with a lot of in game experience), lost 2 LB's (Glenn and Koehler both of whom had never seen the field prior to this year) and a CB. That's a whopping 4 positions to replace with guys who have plenty of experience. And seeing how our D improved throughout last year, I think it's appropriate to assume that our D will be that much better this year.

With a proven QB and a killer receiving corps, the nod goes to KU. Their defense is suspect, but they will score points.

Mizzou, NU and Colorado are all question marks and tied until they start playing and showing what they've got.

The NU defense (without rose-colored glasses) still gave up at least 20 to everyone in conference but ISU. Unproven O-line, unproven QB, unproven receivers and secondary.

Mizzou - unproven QB, but a very good O-line, a 1000 yard RB, decent experienced receivers. D-line and LB's are experienced and decent. Secondary needs work (at least according to last year). Unproven kickers too.

Colo. - These guys could jump up and cause anyone problems. Hawkins needs to decide who his QB is. Deep at running back and O-line could lead to CU using ball control to stifle opponents.

KSU and ISU - they're the brain damaged uncles you keep in the basement.

NU D was #2 in the Big XII after Tex-ass, or don't you remember how "offensive" the Big XII was last year?

Here is my attempt:

It all starts up front and the three teams in the north with the best lines, I think are NU, MU and a healed up CU. then you have to look schedules and then skill positions.

1. NU Good lines, skill positions are OK, D backs could be better.

2. CU IF the players are healed up and the O-line can get a rhythm going, they might surprise.

3. MU Lines are good, but schedule and skill are not up with NU and CU

4. KU Not real strong in the lines, skill positions are strong, but Reising might get beat up (notice MU last year with a hurt Daniels) and their schedule is really going to hurt them.

ISU/KSU I was going with the home team - damn a neutral site, so I'll go with

5. ISU Their coach won't try to give the ball to Davis

6. KSU Their coach will try to give the ball to Sproles and ask "who took my oatmeal?"

McCarney doesn't miss Ames since he's up here all the time either bailing his daughter out of jail or attending one of her court appearances.... <_<

I had season tickets at Hilton back during the McCarney era and...lucky me...he had the pair right next to me. The guy was probably one of the most obnoxious people you would ever have to sit by at any sporting event...didn't seem to be able to talk without waving his arms around like a lunatic...usually knocking my soda into my lap or blasting my popcorn down to the lower level. All together I'm pretty sure he owes me about $100 for food I bought but never got a chance to consume...

Anyway, for all of you naysayers out there who keep trying to remove my rose colored glasses, let me point out a couple of salient points as to why you are all mistaken this year concerning Iowa State and should quake in fear as each day brings your team closer to humiliation at the hands of the mighty Cyclones:

First...for the football geniuses that keep repeating that ISU has a new coach and it takes time to learn a system...if that were the case, wouldn't NU have faired badly last year? New coach...new system...blah blah blah....NU's season last year throws that logic totally out the window so I give all predictions based on that line of reasoning a big "FAIL" It's also important to note that many of us over by Ames think Cheese Dip was busy dreaming up new lies to tell the media about his staying at ISU instead of actually coaching as losses to Iowa, CU and KU all should have been wins under even an average High School coach.

Second...Like it or not, a team's success generally rides on the success of the QB. Of the North teams, only three have QB's that have any meaningful experience playing in the Big 12: KU, CU (I've added both the half-ass QB's they have together to form one QB) and ISU. Nothing against Coffman, Lee or Gabbert, but until I see them playing against actual Big 12 competition, I'm not going to be entirely sold on any of the three. So, any predictions based on speculation of a QB that hasn't seen significant Big 12 playing time get a big "FAIL"

Third...Whereas almost every team in the North lost a lot of quality skill position players, two teams with fairly respectable offenses did not...KU and ISU. ISU also has the advantage of bringing back most of it's O-Line (which, contrary to popular belief, was actually pretty competent) and LB and DB's (the DB's have talent...LB's not so much...but a switch to a 4-2-5 should be able to compensate for that). Any predictions based on the great potential talent or recruits or backups who have shown this potential only in practice or at the high school or Juco level get a big "FAIL"

Finally...ISU gets to play most of their "might accidently win" games at home for a change...Iowa, Colorado, Baylor...K-State on a neutral field...The ones I foresee them losing are all on the road (NU, MU, KU) Oh...except OK-State which we have to play in Ames and who will surely smash up to smithereens...<_< We have an easy non-conference schedule which we should be able to come out of at least 3-1. Then, we pick off K-State, Colorado (for some reason...Hawkins just can't win here), Baylor (those pretenders...) and maybe sneak one out on the road against A&M or maybe even MU late in the year depending on how their season has gone and...look out...A free trip to the Moosehead Beer Bowl or something major like that!

Anyway...the coaches and players know if it's gonna happen, it has to be this year because starting in 2010, the schedule turns into Murderer's Row.

My point? Uh...um...Look both ways before you cross the street...or something. Come on. Do I really have to have a point????