BIG 12 NORTH PRESEASON FORECAST

I am not ready to cast off MU and KU yet. I think it is a 3 team race and it shoukld be fun to watch. All 3 have the positives for a good argument as well as the neg. aspectics to argue that they will not be on top.

Like I said it should be fun.

WTF am I saying HUSKERS ROLL over all

2009 BIG 12 NORTH PRESEASON FORECAST

1. Nebraska ... Suh and the Blackshirts are set to dominate again

2. Kansas... Still a solid team with Reesing

3. Kansas State ... Snyder can still coach

T-4. Missouri ...Can't recruit in their own state

T-4. Colorado ... Hawkins finally starts to make his mark

6. Iowa State ... They can move the ball, but couldn't stop a D-III team

Thoughts?

I think you've got Kansas State 3 position too high. Let me fix it for you.

T-3. Missouri ...Can't recruit in their own state

T-3. Colorado ... Hawkins finally starts to make his mark

5. Iowa State ... They can move the ball, but couldn't stop a D-III team

6. Kansas State ... Snyder can still used to be able to coach

I won't give my North prediction at this time. However, I will not be choosing a team that plans to start a Junior QB that has only thrown 2 career passes in college.

I know you arent talking about Nebraska because counting JUCO he has thrown more than two career passes. ;)

Thoughts?

Well...since you DID ask....

1. Kansas...With Reesing and his core skill players back, they should be just a tad bit better than everyone else. NOBODY in the Big 12 had a particularly stellar defense last year. If Kansas can manage to put together even an average defensive effort, they should be good to go.

2. Nebraska...Sorry, but until I can be sure that the LB and secondary aren't going to get shredded by pass-happy spread offenses in the Big 12, I can't justify a first place finish...IF the running game takes off and IF Lee can play like a verteran from day one and IF the O-line holds together and the young receivers hold up, the the Huskers could play themselves to the top, but right now, there are a lot of questions.

3T - Missouri...Gabbert is going to have to show me he can lead more than a group of frat boys on a panty raid before I'll even be convinced he's a solid leader. With all the departures on offense and defense (which didn't particularly cover itself with glory last year), I'm pretty sure Missouri is going to tumble

3T - Iowa State - The defense that couldn't stop a D-III team was Chizik's (the defensive genius) defense. You'll be seeing different personnel sets, different formations and a lot more aggressive play...and ISU looks like it might be turning the corner in personnel...especially in the secondary. The offense was very effective last year and with everyone essentially back...will continue to do so.

5 - K-State...Snyder will be a lot better than Prince...but the players are still the same bunch of cast-offs and Juco's that they had last year. Without an experienced QB, a lot of newcomers and a questionale defense, I'm thinking K-State is in for a long season.

6 - Colorado...The two QB system doesn't work for good teams and it won't work for Colorado...Look for Hawkins to get mad at his kid for not moving the team, replacing him in the middle of the season...and finally replacing the replacement again near the end so he can maybe get his kid a late draft pick so he can pay for his retirement after CU can's him whent he season ends.

Nebraska's defense is far better than Kansas', that will be Kansas' downfall. Plus, if they have an injury on the O-line, or Reesing gets hurt, they are dropping from 2nd to 5th like that. Reesing can't carry their team through a whole season, teams will catch up to that and figure a way to stop him, if not kill him.

The unkown factor is QB for Nebraska and Missouri, but I have to think with the talent that Nebraska has at that position, though they are younger and haven't seen any action, that Nebraska is in better shape potentially than Missouri starting Gabbert. I have to believe that one of Nebraska's QB's will step up and do the job. I also believe in Watson's ability to take what he has and work with it.

2. Nebraska...Sorry, but until I can be sure that the LB and secondary aren't going to get shredded by pass-happy spread offenses in the Big 12, I can't justify a first place finish...IF the running game takes off and IF Lee can play like a verteran from day one and IF the O-line holds together and the young receivers hold up, the the Huskers could play themselves to the top, but right now, there are a lot of questions.

Finally someone who sees the weakness in the secondary, ive always thought that the secondary needed work, with both speed, recognition on the play, and actually going for the ball. i saw it alot during last season that secondardies were missing coverages and giving up big gains when it came to passing. Our D-line is down pat, and our LB's is pretty good, but lets face it, our secondary needs help and bad. Ive always thought thought that O'Hanlon was too slow for his position, no offense, i went to school with him when he played for Bellevue East, though i didnt converse with him.

In anycase, like i said the secondary in my opinion needs help, and agree, this along with other minor problems that i see, i feel that Nebraska wont pull off number 1 in the Big 12 north, but then again i believe that anything can happen, and sometime people step up to the plate and shine. Which is what i always and hope and believe will happen this season.

Nebraska #1 Big 12 North. The only true obstacle i see that can keep them from Big 12 North Champs is Mizzou, so beat them Tigers like they owe you 2 seasons of humilating losses.

Thoughts?

I think Kansas has a much tougher schedual than Missouri. Mizzou has Neb, Tex, and Baylor at home, and the only tough game on the road may be Okl. ST. Their Kansas game is at a neutral site. Kansas may be the 2nd best team if they only counted the win and losses against the north teams, but they don't........

I see Missouri in at least 2nd place. IMHO

GBR!!!

Thoughts?

1. Kansas - Going to score tons of points and should have a better D. (Going to win 2 of 3 from the south)

T-2. Nub - Who did the blackshirts dominate again? Only returning 4 starters? To many questions.

T-2. Moo - Could sting nub at home

4. Colorado - Still suck

5. KSU - Anyone else remember snyders last 2 years, now he has Ron's recruits.

6. ISU - Should be a little better than La-Laf.

With a proven QB and a killer receiving corps, the nod goes to KU. Their defense is suspect, but they will score points.

Mizzou, NU and Colorado are all question marks and tied until they start playing and showing what they've got.

The NU defense (without rose-colored glasses) still gave up at least 20 to everyone in conference but ISU. Unproven O-line, unproven QB, unproven receivers and secondary.

Mizzou - unproven QB, but a very good O-line, a 1000 yard RB, decent experienced receivers. D-line and LB's are experienced and decent. Secondary needs work (at least according to last year). Unproven kickers too.

Colo. - These guys could jump up and cause anyone problems. Hawkins needs to decide who his QB is. Deep at running back and O-line could lead to CU using ball control to stifle opponents.

KSU and ISU - they're the brain damaged uncles you keep in the basement.

I won't give my North prediction at this time. However, I will not be choosing a team that plans to start a Junior QB that has only thrown 2 career passes in college.

I know you arent talking about Nebraska because counting JUCO he has thrown more than two career passes. ;)

We had the National Juco offensive player of the year at RB, and he did very, very little for us last year...

Oh, and it will be

KU - Best offense, most returning talent. Biggest obstacle is schedule, some more new O-linemen and replacing LBs

NU - Good overall, but secondary and new QB will hurt, pluce play KU in Lawrence

MU - Just lost a lot of good, experienced players.

CU - I see continuous improvement, it is just taking longer than expected

KSU - Snyder's teams were not that good whne he retired, and the talent has dropped

ISU - Brand new Head Coach without a lot f talent. THis is a hard one to call, but the situation lends itself to not a lot of wins....

I'm pretty confident that Nebraska, Mizzou, Kansas and Colorado will be the top four teams, but predicting the order is pretty difficult. Here goes...

1. KU - when in doubt, go with the team with the best QB (at least that we know so far)

2. NU - D should be best in the North

3. MU - if Gabbert is the real deal the Tigers could easily win the North again.

4. CU - will be better than last year but will lose several close games with costly mistakes

5,6. ISU, KSU - these teams may only get 1 B12 win between them: whoever wins when they play each other

We had the National Juco offensive player of the year at RB, and he did very, very little for us last year...

Oh, and it will be

KU - Best offense, most returning talent. Biggest obstacle is schedule, some more new O-linemen and replacing LBs

NU - Good overall, but secondary and new QB will hurt, pluce play KU in Lawrence

KSU - Snyder's teams were not that good whne he retired, and the talent has dropped

ISU - Brand new Head Coach without a lot f talent. THis is a hard one to call, but the situation lends itself to not a lot of wins....

Yeah, most juco RB's never do well in their first year, because the speed of the defenses are so much better in D-1. Zac Lee played in a very competitve leauge in california, and has been in our system for 2 years now, so I really expect him to start off as well as Ganz did. But he is a much more talented QB than Ganz overall. We will just have to wait and see. Our running backs are much better than KU's, so that will take alot of pressure off him.

Oh, and it will be

Yeah, most juco RB's never do well in their first year, because the speed of the defenses are so much better in D-1. Zac Lee played in a very competitve leauge in california, and has been in our system for 2 years now, so I really expect him to start off as well as Ganz did. But he is a much more talented QB than Ganz overall. We will just have to wait and see. Our running backs are much better than KU's, so that will take alot of pressure off him.

i think it would be harder for a QB to go from Juco speed to D1 than a RB.