QB Camp

Option football, whether you're talking about running it out of the I, wishbone, power I, T and/or flexbone is absolutely still the greatest offense ever created. All these pass happy offenses, while maybe not fads in the strictest sense, can't hold a candle to an option offense. But I understand...times change, things evolve and, if you stick around long enough, what was once old becomes new again.

+1

I love the Option. Watching old game film on YouTube is wonderful.

Remember how the announcers in the 90s used to diss on our offense, calling it old-fashioned and basically mocking Osborne for sticking with it? How funny that GA Tech, Navy and Army all used the Option in the last couple of years, as has W Virginia and Florida (although rarely).

Run properly, there is nothing about the Option that would make it "antiquated" in this day and age. It can still be a devastating offense, and I would love to see Nebraska run it competently this year. Last year with Ganzy at the helm the options we ran weren't pretty. With Lee and/or Washington I think it could be another story entirely. Washington could be another Jammal Lord out there, and while Jammal wasn't the greatest Option QB we ever had, he was more than adequate.

Option football, whether you're talking about running it out of the I, wishbone, power I, T and/or flexbone is absolutely still the greatest offense ever created. All these pass happy offenses, while maybe not fads in the strictest sense, can't hold a candle to an option offense. But I understand...times change, things evolve and, if you stick around long enough, what was once old becomes new again.

+1

Remember how the announcers in the 90s used to diss on our offense, calling it old-fashioned and basically mocking Osborne for sticking with it? How funny that GA Tech, Navy and Army all used the Option in the last couple of years, as has W Virginia and Florida (although rarely).

Run properly, there is nothing about the Option that would make it "antiquated" in this day and age. It can still be a devastating offense, and I would love to see Nebraska run it competently this year. Last year with Ganzy at the helm the options we ran weren't pretty. With Lee and/or Washington I think it could be another story entirely. Washington could be another Jammal Lord out there, and while Jammal wasn't the greatest Option QB we ever had, he was more than adequate.

That reminds me of a recent invterview LJS did with Solich talking about the Lord years. Lord was/is a fantastic athelete, but he would have been dynomite in the IB spot or another spot with Crawford as the QB. Too bad those pesky Rays agreed to pay Crawford all that money!

Yeah, Jammal was definitely a RB playing QB. So was Crouch, really. Jammal had that horrible throwing motion, and his touch on short passes was abysmal. But he could throw a pretty long pass, and he surprised many a D with his wheels and that long arm of his.

I would love to have the second coming of Brook Berringer or Tommie Frazier or Eric Crouch right now, but all things considered, I'd be darned happy if ZLee turned out to be the second coming of Jammal Lord.

+1

I love triple option football as much as the next guy, but unfortunately it's time is over at NU. I think it is time for us Husker fans to embrace the future. And from my perspective the future looks pretty damn bright!

Yards per game / Nat. Rank

2008 NU-450.7 11th

2007 NU-468.3 9th

2006 NU-414.6 14th

Meh. We did that with the Option, and we could still be doing that with the Option. I'm with you that it's time to move on. I'm just saying that the Option, as an offense in today's college football, is not "outdated" as some have said. It's still viable.

I like what we're doing now. I like having the ability to pass, and do it very effectively, when we need to. There were WAY too many times when an opponent would be fast enough to blunt our Option attack and we had no other recourse. This whole "multiple" thing Watson has going is just fine with me.

I'm merely responding to those pundits out there in TV Land who act as if the Option is no longer feasible in football. It is.

I love triple option football as much as the next guy, but unfortunately it's time is over at NU. I think it is time for us Husker fans to embrace the future. And from my perspective the future looks pretty damn bright!

2008 NU-450.7 11th

2007 NU-468.3 9th

2006 NU-414.6 14th

You know, the future could look a lot more like the option than the WCO. As defenses get lighter and faster to offset the spread, it only makes sense for offenses to go "power". ;)

Football is cyclical. With each offensive innovation, defenses react. However, rarely do you find a defense that can stop everything - they are usually built to stop the "dominate" offensive scheme of the day. So, if the dominate offensive scheme is to spread the field and create gaps and openings and one-on-one matchups, defenses will naturally get smaller and faster to cover those areas. So, those "spread" offenses evolve to exploit the defenses' weakness - which will be the inablility to line up and stop a power game.

It's going to be interesting to watch over the next 5-10 years...

I think it is very difficult to get a QB that would fit in at NU right now. I am sure in the future there will be QBs to chose from if the high school offenses change a bit to what NU is running now. I would imagine every high school in Nebraska was running the option offense/power running game back in the 90s.

With Rodriguez and Reeves signing I truly feel that Bo will do everything in his power to keep the talent in state....but to be honest, there might be a few better athletes in Texas, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania to sign as well.

What are high schools in Nebraska running now? Here in Virginia, the overwhelming majority run the single or double wing, which is a throwback to the 30's and 40's (I think). That's one of the reasons UVa and VT have good success recruiting running backs and scrambling QBs,and also why they have trouble finding passing QBs.

2008 NU-450.7 11th

2007 NU-468.3 9th

2006 NU-414.6 14th

You know, the future could look a lot more like the option than the WCO. As defenses get lighter and faster to offset the spread, it only makes sense for offenses to go "power". ;)

Football is cyclical. With each offensive innovation, defenses react. However, rarely do you find a defense that can stop everything - they are usually built to stop the "dominate" offensive scheme of the day. So, if the dominate offensive scheme is to spread the field and create gaps and openings and one-on-one matchups, defenses will naturally get smaller and faster to cover those areas. So, those "spread" offenses evolve to exploit the defenses' weakness - which will be the inablility to line up and stop a power game.

The thing I love about CFB, and the reason the NFL bores me so much. Is that there are enough good athletes in college to run any offense you choose. People still use fundamentals of the wishbone , the Flexbone, Power I, hell guys are still running the Run & Shoot with a good deal of suscess.

Just because the Spread is the offense du jour lately, doesn't mean we should scrap what works for NU to become a lame FU clone. Or worse, try to reboot back to the glory days of the power I. Just look at Auburn or VT. Those teams always have talent, and use a power running game. And have been quite successful with it, But neither of those teams have won a Championship with it.

To this day I still have nightmares of Nebraska being down by two scores late in a game, it's 3rd and a mile in NU territory, and I just know in my heart that the chance of the Huskers getting a first down is slim top none. (Georgia Tech fans are getting a taste of that now) And I'm sorry but I never want to feel that way again. With Watson running his multiple scheme, I honestly don't have that fear because no matter what the down and distance, I know somewhere in the playbook there is a play for it. And that's a great feeling to have.

2008 NU-450.7 11th

2007 NU-468.3 9th

2006 NU-414.6 14th

The thing I love about CFB, and the reason the NFL bores me so much. Is that there are enough good athletes in college to run any offense you choose. People still use fundamentals of the wishbone , the Flexbone, Power I, hell guys are still running the Run & Shoot with a good deal of suscess.

Just because the Spread is the offense du jour lately, doesn't mean we should scrap what works for NU to become a lame FU clone. Or worse, try to reboot back to the glory days of the power I. Just look at Auburn or VT. Those teams always have talent, and use a power running game. And have been quite successful with it, But neither of those teams have won a Championship with it.

To this day I still have nightmares of Nebraska being down by two scores late in a game, it's 3rd and a mile in NU territory, and I just know in my heart that the chance of the Huskers getting a first down is slim top none. (Georgia Tech fans are getting a taste of that now) And I'm sorry but I never want to feel that way again. With Watson running his multiple scheme, I honestly don't have that fear because no matter what the down and distance, I know somewhere in the playbook there is a play for it. And that's a great feeling to have.

I agree 100% with this, I used to hate that.