QB Camp

Just read an article on HuskerExtra.com about this weeks Elite QB academy. There was one comment from coach Watson that really stuck out to me about he learning curve for these young kids have these days.

“We start off with defensive recognition,” Watson said. “We teach how a good defense is built. We teach fronts, coverages, gap control, support, contain, how that all ties into coverage. And we teach how to manage an offense. We back it up with film and drills. We use our offense as an example as we teach the kids.

I wonder if this years camp will loss a little luster this year, with the recent commit from Gabbert? There are usually one or two names that spring up every year, and you never know maybe the coaches will find a hidden gem in the underclassmen..

Just read an article on HuskerExtra.com about this weeks Elite QB academy. There was one comment from coach Watson that really stuck out to me about he learning curve for these young kids have these days.

“We start off with defensive recognition,” Watson said. “We teach how a good defense is built. We teach fronts, coverages, gap control, support, contain, how that all ties into coverage. And we teach how to manage an offense. We back it up with film and drills. We use our offense as an example as we teach the kids.

I wonder if this years camp will loss a little luster this year, with the recent commit from Gabbert? There are usually one or two names that spring up every year, and you never know maybe the coaches will find a hidden gem in the underclassmen..

it might not draw many big names, but i would think that if a quarterback wanted to get better he would attend as many camps that he could afford, reguardless if a qb committed to a school or not

I am betting that if a kid is good enough, he don't have to pay to attend the camp. I also think that if a kid really believes in himself, having a QB that is incoming with a scholarship wouldn't stop him from attending, especially to work with a QB coach that has the reputation that Watson has. I would think he would want to learn from other good players also.

:boxosoap

I would love to see a QB start that is from Nebraska. When I was a kid, Jerry Tagge was the QB, I just figured that everyone that played at Nebraska was from Nebraska for the most part. That sure has turned around - the kids from Nebraska are now a minority in the football program I imagine. Especially when it comes to scholarships. I yearn for the day when Nebraska Football is looked at by kids like we saw it when I was a kid - there was no other colleges. The only other games that were really seen back there on a regular basis was Grambling football game replays on Sunday mornings. Now with satellites, cable, etc. there is so much media coverage that you can just about see any team you want every week. We stayed competitive back then with kids mostly from Nebraska - we could do it again, but you have to get the youth early on, get them to believe in the Nebraska Cornhusker way of life. I think Watson could help make this happen.

Trucker, I think that tide is turning with Bo at the helm, and values that we're more used to being displayed in the program. Look at Ryne Reeves for one example - there was Nebraska.... and everyone else. That was his list. He's a Junior and he already committed, making him the first commit to our 2011 class.

And for our last QB from Nebraska... Gerry Gdowski from Fremont started for a couple of years in the late 80s, and the Turmanator from Wahoo Neumann started a couple of games in 94-95 due to injuries and whatnot. Some guy named Crouch from Omaha who won some trophy or something started for a few years. That's about it for Nebraska-grown QBs, right?

I am betting that if a kid is good enough, he don't have to pay to attend the camp. I also think that if a kid really believes in himself, having a QB that is incoming with a scholarship wouldn't stop him from attending, especially to work with a QB coach that has the reputation that Watson has. I would think he would want to learn from other good players also.

I would love to see a QB start that is from Nebraska. When I was a kid, Jerry Tagge was the QB, I just figured that everyone that played at Nebraska was from Nebraska for the most part. That sure has turned around - the kids from Nebraska are now a minority in the football program I imagine. Especially when it comes to scholarships. I yearn for the day when Nebraska Football is looked at by kids like we saw it when I was a kid - there was no other colleges. The only other games that were really seen back there on a regular basis was Grambling football game replays on Sunday mornings. Now with satellites, cable, etc. there is so much media coverage that you can just about see any team you want every week. We stayed competitive back then with kids mostly from Nebraska - we could do it again, but you have to get the youth early on, get them to believe in the Nebraska Cornhusker way of life. I think Watson could help make this happen.

Yes he was born at Offut AFB, he grew up and went to HS in Green Bay Wisc.

Yes he was born at Offut AFB, he grew up and went to HS in Green Bay Wisc.

his dad worked with my dad at a munitions plant just outside grand island while he was at Nebraska.

it might not draw many big names, but i would think that if a quarterback wanted to get better he would attend as many camps that he could afford, reguardless if a qb committed to a school or not

I really meant more of a let down for the fan base. With Gabbert's commitment, we aren't really on our toes as much about which QB might commit after the camp. I view these camps as being similar to the spring game in that way, because I always hope for a verbal or two afterward. Or at least a bit of info on some of the guys I haven't heard of.

Trucker, I think that tide is turning with Bo at the helm, and values that we're more used to being displayed in the program. Look at Ryne Reeves for one example - there was Nebraska.... and everyone else. That was his list. He's a Junior and he already committed, making him the first commit to our 2011 class.

And for our last QB from Nebraska... Gerry Gdowski from Fremont started for a couple of years in the late 80s, and the Turmanator from Wahoo Neumann started a couple of games in 94-95 due to injuries and whatnot. Some guy named Crouch from Omaha who won some trophy or something started for a few years. That's about it for Nebraska-grown QBs, right?

What about Scott Frost?!?!?!

I think it is very difficult to get a QB that would fit in at NU right now. I am sure in the future there will be QBs to chose from if the high school offenses change a bit to what NU is running now. I would imagine every high school in Nebraska was running the option offense/power running game back in the 90s.

With Rodriguez and Reeves signing I truly feel that Bo will do everything in his power to keep the talent in state....but to be honest, there might be a few better athletes in Texas, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania to sign as well.

I think it is very difficult to get a QB that would fit in at NU right now. I am sure in the future there will be QBs to chose from if the high school offenses change a bit to what NU is running now. I would imagine every high school in Nebraska was running the option offense/power running game back in the 90s.

With Rodriguez and Reeves signing I truly feel that Bo will do everything in his power to keep the talent in state....but to be honest, there might be a few better athletes in Texas, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania to sign as well.

That hits it right on the head. More instate talent at the skill positions will come, as the high school coaches start to change, their views and new ones start replacing retiring ones. 30 years of option type football, is hard to change in some coaches minds, when its their jobs they have to also worry about.

GBR!!!

That hits it right on the head. More instate talent at the skill positions will come, as the high school coaches start to change, their views and new ones start replacing retiring ones. 30 years of option type football, is hard to change in some coaches minds, when its their jobs they have to also worry about.

GBR!!!

Option football, whether you're talking about running it out of the I, wishbone, power I, T and/or flexbone is absolutely still the greatest offense ever created. All these pass happy offenses, while maybe not fads in the strictest sense, can't hold a candle to an option offense. But I understand...times change, things evolve and, if you stick around long enough, what was once old becomes new again.

To the point of the thread...

I am really gaining a tremendous amount of respect for OC Shawn Watson. He is probably one of the brightest offensive minds in the college game today and I'm glad he's our OC. Although at some point I'm sure he'll leave for a head coaching gig.

I agree with Jen, there's big upside in going contrary to trend. One of which is, your not recruiting QBs against USC, UT, UF etc.

Also, love me some Watson, I sure as hell hope he doesn't move on before 2010. I don't think we have anyone in the wings to replace him except Cotton, and I'm not sure I want to go down that road right now.

As to these camps, even if you don't have guys on the radar for this year it is crucial to maitaining relationships with high school coaches and remaining in the conversation among high school players.

Its all about networking. Notre Dame was the leader of the pack for years because Catholic schools were the only place for a kid younger than 9th grade to play ball. Every Priest and nun made sure that ND knew who the good kids were. Now we have pee wee football, camps at colleges in the summer and our walk on program is being revived and that is where we got the majority of our Nebraska kids. Boyd Eppley took care of them when they came to Lincoln and he and his weight room built All Americans. I don't think he has ever received the credit he deserved. A small state with two major cities and cold winters will never draw the flashy recruits that a USC, Florida, LSU, Alabama will but that doesn't mean we can't get the kids we need to win. Davaney and TO did it for over 30 years and it can be done again.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

GBR!!!

Option football, whether you're talking about running it out of the I, wishbone, power I, T and/or flexbone is absolutely still the greatest offense ever created. All these pass happy offenses, while maybe not fads in the strictest sense, can't hold a candle to an option offense. But I understand...times change, things evolve and, if you stick around long enough, what was once old becomes new again.

To the point of the thread...

I am really gaining a tremendous amount of respect for OC Shawn Watson. He is probably one of the brightest offensive minds in the college game today and I'm glad he's our OC. Although at some point I'm sure he'll leave for a head coaching gig.

Option football was and always will be my favorite way to move a football. I hated to see it go. Once BC changed the program [and made a mess out of it] there wasn't anyway to take another 4 or 5 years to try and turn it back to what it was. So I'm on board for this new look program, for us. My one wish is that Watson sticks around for a few more years.

GBR!!!

I agree with Jen, there's big upside in going contrary to trend. One of which is, your not recruiting QBs against USC, UT, UF etc.

Also, love me some Watson, I sure as hell hope he doesn't move on before 2010. I don't think we have anyone in the wings to replace him except Cotton, and I'm not sure I want to go down that road right now.

As to these camps, even if you don't have guys on the radar for this year it is crucial to maitaining relationships with high school coaches and remaining in the conversation among high school players.

Cotton is a logical guess, but I think Beck is candidate that people constantly overlook. He was the Passing Game Coordinator at KU, and apart of that Orange Bowl team, before Bo brought him on. Beck knowing the intracacies of how a passing game works I think gives him an edge over Cotton. Bo knows that QB development as a passer is key to the program right now, I am not sure Cotton can do it. Not to mention that Cotton's Offense would be large change.