Recruit spurns NU, signs MLB deal

Go to school!!

Kinda tough when a kid thinks he can make it.. and at worst if he doesn't he'll have the money to pay for school + more with what he makes.... it's not like these are football kids getting full rides... there just isn't enough money to go around in baseball.. i mean, i completely understand what you're saying.. just not that easy (as im sure you understand)

Alright I need a question answered. I don't follow College Baseball as much as I do the MLB, religiously follow my Yankees. I read all of the stories about Anderson complaining about losing kids to the draft. My question is, doesn't LSU, UT, UNC, ASU, UM, etc. all suffer the same issues? All of the sudden does UNL have all of the kids that the pros want? I really highly doubt that. I just don't get it, anyone who follows the UNL baseball situation closer than I care to give some input?

Alright I need a question answered. I don't follow College Baseball as much as I do the MLB, religiously follow my Yankees. I read all of the stories about Anderson complaining about losing kids to the draft. My question is, doesn't LSU, UT, UNC, ASU, UM, etc. all suffer the same issues? All of the sudden does UNL have all of the kids that the pros want? I really highly doubt that. I just don't get it, anyone who follows the UNL baseball situation closer than I care to give some input?

I was wondering the same thing. Go Yankees!!!

I'm not completely sure on this either, but I think he was talking specifically about their pitching position being raped by the draft. I'm sure there are other schools with the same problem, but if that's the case that makes it less of a common thing to happen.

Well.. a lot of it has to do with location... southern powerhouse schools can get the kids that they know are good and know they will come to school.. while we have to take chances on kids that we know are good but may not make it to school... we could recruit inferior talent but then when we suck non-stop people would complain that we aren't getting the right talent in here etc.. This year won't be NEARLY as bad as it has been in the past.. I mean, look at everything we lost last year.. Not just recruits but current staff! I mean really look at it.. 15 out of the last 20 recruits that got drafted that skipped school??? How can you really expect to be able to compete and develop players? Then people complain that we go the JUCO route to get a couple of arms in here (don't remember if it was here/rivals/both).... But really we don't have a chance with that! Like i said this year won't be nearly as bad in that aspect and with all of the returning guys that saw significant time both on the mound and in the field we'll see major improvements next year....

Well.. a lot of it has to do with location... southern powerhouse schools can get the kids that they know are good and know they will come to school.. while we have to take chances on kids that we know are good but may not make it to school... we could recruit inferior talent but then when we suck non-stop people would complain that we aren't getting the right talent in here etc.. This year won't be NEARLY as bad as it has been in the past.. I mean, look at everything we lost last year.. Not just recruits but current staff! I mean really look at it.. 15 out of the last 20 recruits that got drafted that skipped school??? How can you really expect to be able to compete and develop players? Then people complain that we go the JUCO route to get a couple of arms in here (don't remember if it was here/rivals/both).... But really we don't have a chance with that! Like i said this year won't be nearly as bad in that aspect and with all of the returning guys that saw significant time both on the mound and in the field we'll see major improvements next year....

So kids who are good, but won't go pro right way will only go to school close to home?

So kids who are good, but won't go pro right way will only go to school close to home?

More likely to stay at home at a bigger name program where they can develop better due to better weather. If you can't understand their logic, I'm sorry. Makes pretty good sense to me.. Same reason it's tough to get a kid out of Texas to come play football or a kid from So Cal to come play football.. Sure it happens and it has happened with our baseball team, but it just doesn't happen as often.

And it's not like we don't get good players.. Lemke outta is outta AZ but he has ties to Nebraska... Giller looks good and who knows if he stays, i just don't see a recruit leaving for that little money.... Also Bryan Peters is rivals ranked the 81st HS player in the nation and he'll be here... It's just that the good players we get here are from around here and there is talent from around here that we can get on campus.

More likely to stay at home at a bigger name program where they can develop better due to better weather. If you can't understand their logic, I'm sorry. Makes pretty good sense to me.. Same reason it's tough to get a kid out of Texas to come play football or a kid from So Cal to come play football.. Sure it happens and it has happened with our baseball team, but it just doesn't happen as often.

And it's not like we don't get good players.. Lemke outta is outta AZ but he has ties to Nebraska... Giller looks good and who knows if he stays, i just don't see a recruit leaving for that little money.... Also Bryan Peters is rivals ranked the 81st HS player in the nation and he'll be here... It's just that the good players we get here are from around here and there is talent from around here that we can get on campus.

No I understand the issue, heck we fuss about all the time for the Football team. However it seems to be less of an issue for football, or is it because the FB coaches are just better recruiters than Anderson? If the location issue is bigger in Baseball than in FB, maybe Anderson needs to figure out a way to overcome it. I am sorry if the situation is tough, but that is what Anderson gets paid to do. If he isn't good enough of a recruiter, then maybe NU needs someone else. We can make excuses for him all day long and I think Anderson has a good track record thus far, but this program has proven a capable and consistent winner and if he has another year or two like this past one he needs to go. I just don't like him making excuses, it is like he is admitting defeat. You didn't see TO complain about not being able to keep up with Miami all those years, he simply went out and found a way to bring in the speed he lacked previously and was unable to get previously. Hopefully Anderson has a better year next year, I like his incoming class.

How do you see any of this EVER changing? Due to NU's latitude and longitude, is Nebraska then destined to have most of their recruits continually raided by the draft?

Unless you see the climate changing in Lincoln, I don't see how it is possible to improve the situation - by your logic.

Not that I don't agree with you that players want to go to school and play where it's warm...but how do we get players to commit here and ultimately play here??? Do you really think that the climate of a recruit's school choice predominately overrides that signing bonus of the MLB teams?

No I understand the issue, heck we fuss about all the time for the Football team. However it seems to be less of an issue for football, or is it because the FB coaches are just better recruiters than Anderson? If the location issue is bigger in Baseball than in FB, maybe Anderson needs to figure out a way to overcome it. I am sorry if the situation is tough, but that is what Anderson gets paid to do. If he isn't good enough of a recruiter, then maybe NU needs someone else. We can make excuses for him all day long and I think Anderson has a good track record thus far, but this program has proven a capable and consistent winner and if he has another year or two like this past one he needs to go. I just don't like him making excuses, it is like he is admitting defeat. You didn't see TO complain about not being able to keep up with Miami all those years, he simply went out and found a way to bring in the speed he lacked previously and was unable to get previously. Hopefully Anderson has a better year next year, I like his incoming class.

Our football team has what everyone calls "tradition"... our baseball team has none of the such... Before Van Horn we had 3 total post-season appearances.. 79,80, and 85... I don't think he's making excuses.. he's said that there was no reason that we should of performed as poorly as we did this season.

How do you see any of this EVER changing? Due to NU's latitude and longitude, is Nebraska then destined to have most of their recruits continually raided by the draft?

Unless you see the climate changing in Lincoln, I don't see how it is possible to improve the situation - by your logic.

Not that I don't agree with you that players want to go to school and play where it's warm...but how do we get players to commit here and ultimately play here??? Do you really think that the climate of a recruit's school choice predominately overrides that signing bonus of the MLB teams?

We're not going to continue to lose 80% of our recruits.. that's just sh**ty luck... And no, the climate won't change obviously.. But do you really think the climate has nothing to do with it? Just think about it logically.. Baseball is a warm weather sport.. Every major league team has spring training in the south. Kids that are borderline on whether or not they will go to the pros or go to school inevitably will take into account where they are going to school. A team with the tradition of a Texas or LSU mixed with the warm weather where they can train and practice outside almost year round is going to have a larger appeal than a team like Nebraska or Iowa where you have snow on the ground from November through early March. That's why a lot of our talent we get is from the area that are more used to the climate... There are reasons ISU and CU don't have baseball programs yet all 6 south schools do.. It's not like football where you play in any condition...

All schools lose kids to the MLB draft. Every year down here in Arizona, its a given that till the drafts over, don't figure who's in your starting lineup for the next season. It happens every year to both Arizona schools.

GBR!!!