remember when blaine gabbert recuited for billy c.?

apparently, little brother tyler is doing the same thing...

“It’s a big deal,” (Tyler) Gabbert said. “As a quarterback, it’s kind of one of my responsibilities. You always want to come in with the best recruiting class you can. So I’m going to start talking to some guys, hopefully get them on board.”

what was the tipping point for nebraska? according to tyler, it was shawn watson whom he really REALLY looks up to as a coach.

Blaine may have ended up a Tiger, but the Gabbert family still had a fondness for Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, who was retained in the program after Callahan’s firing.

“I like how he treats his guys,” Tyler Gabbert said. “He’ll do whatever he can to make you better. He’s the best offensive coordinator in college football. It’s awesome.”

Gabbert has now attended Watson’s Elite Quarterback Academy three times, calling it “the best camp I’ve been to personally.”

i was watching espn the other day and archie manning was on talking about his advice to his sons when they were choosing programs. bottomline, he said not to get too enamored with any one assistant coach in any program because you never know from year to year of they're going to be there or not.

hopefully if wantson moves on it, gabbert the younger will be able to deal with it.

but all that aside, it sounds like he's ready to compete for the top job. with all the qb's nebraska has now, the competition for starter should be pretty intense.

I think Watson will get a HC job somewhere, and probably before Tyler's eligibility is used up. Bo has been quoted as saying something to the effect that he wants to see his assistants get opportunities as HCs out there, and he helps the process along. Ekeler's interview with South Florida(?) is a prime example.

The good news is, Watson isn't the only thing Nebraska has to offer. When he leaves, some day, I doubt we have an exodus of kids who were "Watson's guys."

• 3 weeks later...

HS QB turned recruiter is a double-edged sword that I hope pays off for US this time instead of our Big 12 North rivals. Call me once bitten, twice shy.

Watson MUST be retained. I was literally sick to my stomach when the rumors about him going to Alabama were circulating. I don't think it will be any easier to swallow the next time around either.

I'm preparing to lose Watson after the 2010-2011 season. That year he is going to get back Lee, Helu, Castille, a ton of O-line and Wide Reciever depth and talent and all of our Tight Ends. I think we will likely have 9 returning starters. If we have a huge year offensively, which I suspect we will, he will probably be a very hot commodity. Not to mention his son will graduate after that season is through. At that point I think we would be in a much better position to lose him however. I think Beck will be ready and our D will be more than established.