New Helmets?

All this talk about uniforms..what about an alternative helmet. I don't believe Nebraska has ever experimented with that but I could be wrong. I love our current helmets, I was just thinking of something for one game or two.

OK, I try again since the uniform thread was closed...

From an outsider's perspective, NU needs to keep a "traditional" look. When I think of NU I think old-fashion, tough, no-nonsense football. As a "closet" Husker fan I always think of you guys as Midwestern tough guys representing football the way it should be played. Although you went through some tough times (by your own standards) you are back to being a team that all of America can relate to (except for some morons over at ESPN). I want to see red jerseys with white stripes and no "extras". That's Husker football to me. On September 19, however, you may wear pink and purple and designs like Oregon for all I care, I will root against you with all my guts, but by Monday I will be back to respecting you for being a program to which I hope my team will one day be compared.

We haven't had the current helmets since the dawn of the university... In case you haven't noticed, the thing that made us Huskers is the way we played, not our uniforms... Teams feared playing us for how tough we were and how hard we hit... They didn't say, "hey, look how classic their helmets are, they must be tough..." We don't run the same offense, defense, or have the same coaches or players... Changing uniforms will not affect anything... Tradition will always be tradtition, and it's time to cherish the past, and live in the now... Being a hard-hitting, hard-working team like we used to will keep the tradition alive... not the same logo or uniforms... :bonez

:facepalm::facepalm::madash:throw :throw :madash:facepalm::facepalm:

:rant

Why do people I mean husker fans want so many freaking changes?????? WHY FIX SOMETHING THAT ISN'T BROKEN?????

People always start these threads about changing the tunnel walk song, uniforms, jerseys, helmets......I DON'T GET IT

With Tom Osborne as our AD and Bo as our coach I will guarantee you that the Tunnel Walk music won't change nor will our uniforms, jerseys, and helmets. Scarlet and Cream is the University of Nebraska's School colors and our jerseys and helmets should be those colors only. BTW Oregons new jerseys are freakin UGLY and I'd be embarrased if I was an Oregon fan.

The Tunnel walk music, our uniforms, and yes that big N on the side of our helmets is what makes us different from everybody else. Thats the problem with younger Husker fans these days they want to change our uniforms or tunnel walk music because they want some that sounds and looks COOL AND HIP. There is nothing wrong with what we got right now.........why fix something that isn't broken? Our uniforms is what makes us so Old School from other Universities and its another example of showing off our tradition. We've never really messed a whole lot like that video showed us, once we won the National Championship the first year we came out with the N the side of our helmet we've always kept it there. Taking away that N or changing it in any manor is one way of taking away part of our tradition........so please don't remove that.

We changed our uniforms back in 02' and they were hideous and we ended up going 7-7 that season. There's been a curse to every school that had switched to new uniforms and ESPN did a special on this back during the 02 season and they showed several schools who switched to new jerseys and what there record was. I remember them showing Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, and I can't remember any more others but there were a lot.

I'm up for throwback uniforms for the 300th Sellout to show respect to Bob Devaney, the ex-Huskers, the fans, and our tradtion but in no way should we change our uniforms or helmets period.................please put this to rest

All this talk about uniforms..what about an alternative helmet. I don't believe Nebraska has ever experimented with that but I could be wrong. I love our current helmets, I was just thinking of something for one game or two.

From an outsider's perspective, NU needs to keep a "traditional" look. When I think of NU I think old-fashion, tough, no-nonsense football. As a "closet" Husker fan I always think of you guys as Midwestern tough guys representing football the way it should be played. Although you went through some tough times (by your own standards) you are back to being a team that all of America can relate to (except for some morons over at ESPN). I want to see red jerseys with white stripes and no "extras". That's Husker football to me. On September 19, however, you may wear pink and purple and designs like Oregon for all I care, I will root against you with all my guts, but by Monday I will be back to respecting you for being a program to which I hope my team will one day be compared.

:yeah

:worship:worship:worship

:worship:worship:worship

What in the world....

We seriously need to get to playing foozball. I did not even get past the initial post and I wanted to throw up in my mouth. Why don;t you just suggest the pope try being a mormon and that Pam Anderson eat red meat. Really....

:facepalm::facepalm::madash:throw :throw :madash:facepalm::facepalm:

Why do people I mean husker fans want so many freaking changes?????? WHY FIX SOMETHING THAT ISN'T BROKEN?????

People always start these threads about changing the tunnel walk song, uniforms, jerseys, helmets......I DON'T GET IT

With Tom Osborne as our AD and Bo as our coach I will guarantee you that the Tunnel Walk music won't change nor will our uniforms, jerseys, and helmets. Scarlet and Cream is the University of Nebraska's School colors and our jerseys and helmets should be those colors only. BTW Oregons new jerseys are freakin UGLY and I'd be embarrased if I was an Oregon fan.

The Tunnel walk music, our uniforms, and yes that big N on the side of our helmets is what makes us different from everybody else. Thats the problem with younger Husker fans these days they want to change our uniforms or tunnel walk music because they want some that sounds and looks COOL AND HIP. There is nothing wrong with what we got right now.........why fix something that isn't broken? Our uniforms is what makes us so Old School from other Universities and its another example of showing off our tradition. We've never really messed a whole lot like that video showed us, once we won the National Championship the first year we came out with the N the side of our helmet we've always kept it there. Taking away that N or changing it in any manor is one way of taking away part of our tradition........so please don't remove that.

We changed our uniforms back in 02' and they were hideous and we ended up going 7-7 that season. There's been a curse to every school that had switched to new uniforms and ESPN did a special on this back during the 02 season and they showed several schools who switched to new jerseys and what there record was. I remember them showing Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, and I can't remember any more others but there were a lot.

I'm up for throwback uniforms for the 300th Sellout to show respect to Bob Devaney, the ex-Huskers, the fans, and our tradtion but in no way should we change our uniforms or helmets period.................please put this to rest

Chill out... All I said was it would be cool to put the new style N on the side... Just because some people like throwing the idea of new unis or helmet decals around doesn't make them stupid "young fans" or any more or less of fans than you are... I've been a die-hard fan for 26+ years, and I was born in Colorado, for pete's sake... I wasn't talking about an overhaul, just a new bumper sticker and some wax... Remember who we are recruiting: Young people who like change...

Superstitions are for Catholics and baseball players... Like I said before, the Old School work ethic and attitude make us great, not how big or small or what style the"N" is....

That's half the problem with the so called "Old School" fans, they are living in the past.... Yes, we are one of the greatest dynasties of all time of any sport, but that doesn't do us any good unless we live up to it and perform... Cherish the memories, but live in the now...

P.S.- Not all Husker fans fear change (i.e. this post).

Wow, this topic seems to have been taken out of context here. When i first read this i believed the overall board agreed that current uniform and helmets we have are perfectly fine. But it was my understanding, that IF the uniforms were going to change (which i think if it was going to happen, it would be the school's decision, not the fans), we were throwing ideas out there of what we fans would like to see. I dont think anyone here is calling for a uniform change, therefore i dont see a point in everyone getting rowdy over the topic.

The only thing i saw, was someone suggesting the throwback version being worn for a game, which is just a copycat of what the NFL does on Thanksgiving games. I dont think it will be impletmented, cuz lets face it, NCAAF is not the NFL

NCAAF = Tradition and Football.

NFL = Entertainment and Money.

As a disclaimer, I am absolutely in favor of keeping the current helmet design throughout my lifetime. I love it.

That said, I think it's amusing how everyone seems to think we've had the exact same helmet since 1890.

If we had always been such staunch traditionalists, there may have been riots when are helmets changed color from red to white in 1961. Or how about when we dropped the traditional numbered helmets in favor of the modern, newfangled "NU" logo in '67.

The outrage must have been almost unbearable when Nebraska dropped it's 24 year tradition of gray facemasks, and in the bowl game at the end of the '81 season, came out in RED facemasks. Ugh. Blasphemy! I thought we were about tradition, focusing on football, toughness without the flash. And here we are with these damn shiny, colored facemasks. Barf.