Larry the Cable Guy- Review

Anyone go last night? How was it? I live out of state and was just curious. I guess I could download the audio for $10, but I would like a few comments from those that were there.

I drove up from S.W. Missouri for the show and was not disappointed. I thought he had two very good comedians open the show for him, but I do believe the person who parachuted in that was suppose to be Larry was hurt more then they let on. All in all it was a just another great time in Lincoln.

Does anyone know who (and how) the Parachuter is?

"Shorty" Jameson from Lincoln or Toby Tollefson from Kearney? (The only ones I remember from around there).

Wish I could've been there!

I could never understand why parents hate to have their kids with them when anything vulgar happens..Who else is going to 'splain it to you?

I love Larry/Dan, but I never thought his act was "adult"..More potty humor that caters to kids (of all ages).

And what happened to Bob Devaney Sports Center? Doesn't seem that long ago that it was finnished... (Late '70's? when I was at UNL).

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2009/0...82874295389.txt

Skydiver, field in good shape after Larry concert

By JEFF KORBELIK / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 - 09:23:43 am CDT

The skydiver is OK, and so is Tom Osborne Field at Memorial Stadium.

Saturday’s Larry the Cable Guy concert went “very well,” said Butch Hug, UNL’s assistant athletic director of events.

“The grounds crew was really surprised,” he said. “They were apprehensive about what would happen, but when they took the floor off, (the grass) bounced right back.”

It was the first major event at the stadium outside of a college or high school football game since Farm Aid III in September 1987.

The sold-out concert drew 50,275 paid spectators, according to Outback Concerts, which staged the event with Parallel Entertainment.

The only mishap occurred when professional skydiver Dan O’Brien from Sacramento, Calif., missed his target because of rainy and windy conditions and landed in the stands prior to Larry taking the stage.

O’Brien spent the night in a Lincoln hospital and was released Sunday, Hug said. He suffered a facial cut and injured his finger, “but nothing was seriously broken,” Hug said.

Outback Concerts and Parallel Entertainment also were pleased with how well Saturday’s event went.

“It was perfect,” Outback president Mike Smardak said. “It was a phenomenal experience. Butch Hug and his building crew were the greatest. It enabled us to give the people of Lincoln a phenomenal Fourth of July.”

Larry’s concert went so well, Hug said, he wouldn’t mind doing another event like it again.

“From my standpoint, I would do it no question,” he said. “But it’s not my call.”

Athletic Director Tom Osborne said when Larry the Cable Guy, aka Dan Whitney, announced the concert, it was a “one time deal” as a thank you to Nebraska athletic fans.

Reach Jeff Korbelik at 473-7213 or jkorbelik@journalstar.com.