Non-top 5 preseason teams that may make a title run

Ohio State—they have home game against USC Sept 12. Then pretty clear sailing until visit Happy Valley in Nov.

Florida State—if they get past Hurricanes in the opener they could possibly run the table all the way up to Florida last game of the year. At Florida. It could happen.

Good topic, btw. :)

I'm still baffled why everyone's going bonkers over Rutgers. They're going to be an over .500 ball club and go to a respectable bowl game at best.

They come from a weak conference, with an even weaker schedule (W Va. last game of the season being their only real test) and I think that the Big 12, SEC, ACC, PAC-10 would have to come down with malaria for them to have a shot at the title...

I'm calling bs on Notre Dame. How many games have they won in the last two years? They shouldn't be a 'contender.' I'm tired of hearing about them.

Notre Dame could go 10-0 someday—that is, if they can find 7 other service academies to play. :)

I'm calling bs on Notre Dame. How many games have they won in the last two years? They shouldn't be a 'contender.' I'm tired of hearing about them.

Notre Dame could go 10-0 someday—that is, if they can find 7 other service academies to play. :)

I mean, they win 9-10 wins and they're in a BCS bowl. I'm surprised they don't just schedule 4 directional Michigans, 3 service academies, Temple, Western Kentucky, Florida International, Washington, and the Citadel.

It's pitiful that they have a channel that broadcasts all of their games.

:yeah If Notre Dumb is a championship contender then NU should be too right? Oh wait we actually have to play OU, Texas, KU, and other top 25 teams to earn that honor. ND just needs to show up for 8 games and they land a BsCS game!

How anyone continues to support this corrupt system is beyond me! :rant

Notre Dame is in the running every year, and now that they beat the traditional powerhouse Hawaii in the bowl game, they are obviously going to go undefeated this year and win the national championship.

On a more serious note, here are my teams that are flying under the radar:

- Ole Miss (I think they will be VERY good this year)

- Okie State

Not mentioned above is a team that has a decent chance of at least being talked about:

- Illinois

I know some may think I'm crazy picking Illinois considering their record last season, but I really like their players on offense. You have Juice at QB. He obviously can run and is a decent passer. Of course, it's easy to be considered a good passer when you're throwing to the best receiving corps in the Big 10. Benn, Fason, Cumberland, and Hoomanawanui (or however it's spelled) will put up some big numbers. The running game looks to be solid and the o-line sets up very nicely.

The only questions for them is on D. The potential and depth is there, but it just needs to come to the surface. Even just a few stops here and there would have saved their 2008 season.

We shall see. They open with Missou at a neutral site. Let's see if they can start the season off right.

Ohio State—they have home game against USC Sept 12. Then pretty clear sailing until visit Happy Valley in Nov.

Isn't Ohio State ranked in the preseason top 5?

Not in the poll I looked at (can't remember which one now).

From this I see them as high as #5 and as low as #16: link

Isn't Ohio State ranked in the preseason top 5?

Not in the poll I looked at (can't remember which one now).

From this I see them as high as #5 and as low as #16: link

Right on, I was just wondering.

They did lose a few talented guys on D, but their returning experience on O should be enough to win the Big 10. That'll be awash though when they play in a bowl game and it's against anyone from any other conference.