I would like to see more of the option next year

The days of running the old triple option are long gone. I do think however, that we will see more of the shot gun QB option/spread.

NU ran double option, not tipple option under TO. Run option and zone read and shovel pass.

Not to get into a pissing contest with ya, but Nebraska also ran the triple option under TO. We ran a lot out of the Veer (I formation) which in a nutshell was the triple option. Go look back at the formation Nebraska was in when Tommy Frazier broke all those tackles vs the Gators. If you look closely there was a fullback AND an I back lined up behind Tommy. The first option was to hand it to the FB. The second option was to pitch it to the IB. The third and final option was for the QB to keep it. Hence, the triple option.

See for yourself.

2LHbZ3T4rzA

True, but there has been debate for a long time whether Osborne ran the true triple, as in the QB making a true read of an LB (normally the SAM or WILL depending on playside) and either keeping or giving to the FB. If you watch the beginning of The Run closely, you'll see that the fake to the FB was just that, a fake - there was hardly any time for a read at all. It was something the QB would do to draw the LB's near the line of scrimmage instead of clogging outside running lanes. The same may even go for the option after that - that the IB's job was simply to take a defender away from Tommie.

On the other side of the token, I think we all remember watching a game on TV, and the camera would be following a Husker QB and RB rolling out on yet another option, and then have to quickly pan to the middle of the field to see neither the QB or RB had the ball, but a lumbering FB running over some safety for a big gain/TD. After several plays where the QB didn't give it to the FB, Osborne would send in a basic FB Dive that looks like triple option. The MIKE would fall asleep and there you go - big gain for the big guy.

But therein lies the genius of what Osborne was doing. He knew all that was needed was to get the ball carrier in open space, and just the look of the option mixed with true option itself would accomplish that. In '97, he was even dabbling a little with some zone read with Frost out of the gun, though it wasn't much like what you see Tebow and the Gators running.

We don't have the personel to run Osborne's option (first play of the '08 Spring Game - T. Peterson as a blocking FB. Really?), but the argument about putting the QB in harm's way is spurious at best. I don't think Urban Meyer was really concerned about that during the National Championship game where Tebow was running full speed into MLB's and trucking safeties. Every play that Zac Lee drops back to pass could be the one that he gets injured, especially if there's a blindside blitz.

All that said, the Husker offense was what, 14th in total offense nationally last year? You can't argue with that. Combine a top 20 offense with a real Pelini defense, and we're probably talking BCS. As far as I'm concerned, Watson can keep on doing his thing - if it ain't broke, don't break it.

The days of running the old triple option are long gone. I do think however, that we will see more of the shot gun QB option/spread.

Georgia Tech and Navy have been running it recently, with some success. It's not like we couldn't run the Option here again, and have it work. It's a completely viable offensive system with the correct personnel. We just don't have the correct personnel, and the way it looks, we're not about to go out and get them anytime soon. Watson's offense controls the clock, moves the ball and puts points on the board. If it ain't broke...

You kind of touched on this but I think I'll expand more..

Not only do we not have the correct personnel, I don't think Watson would be able to effectively run the option. Running the option effectively takes a lot of skill. Plus let's face it, is there anybody that we feel could take us to great places if Zac Lee got hurt running the option? We've got a bookcase full of young, unproven guys. We don't have a bunch of Brook Berringer's sitting around.

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 3 2009, 01:29 AM) 448712[/snapback]

Apparently you didn't watch any of Ga Tech's games last year.

I'd like to see more of the option EVERY year.

I wasn't referring to Ga Tech, I was referring to Nebraska.

NU ran double option, not tipple option under TO. Run option and zone read and shovel pass.

Not to get into a pissing contest with ya, but Nebraska also ran the triple option under TO. We ran a lot out of the Veer (I formation) which in a nutshell was the triple option. Go look back at the formation Nebraska was in when Tommy Frazier broke all those tackles vs the Gators. If you look closely there was a fullback AND an I back lined up behind Tommy. The first option was to hand it to the FB. The second option was to pitch it to the IB. The third and final option was for the QB to keep it. Hence, the triple option.

See for yourself.

2LHbZ3T4rzA

True, but there has been debate for a long time whether Osborne ran the true triple, as in the QB making a true read of an LB (normally the SAM or WILL depending on playside) and either keeping or giving to the FB. If you watch the beginning of The Run closely, you'll see that the fake to the FB was just that, a fake - there was hardly any time for a read at all. It was something the QB would do to draw the LB's near the line of scrimmage instead of clogging outside running lanes. The same may even go for the option after that - that the IB's job was simply to take a defender away from Tommie.

On the other side of the token, I think we all remember watching a game on TV, and the camera would be following a Husker QB and RB rolling out on yet another option, and then have to quickly pan to the middle of the field to see neither the QB or RB had the ball, but a lumbering FB running over some safety for a big gain/TD. After several plays where the QB didn't give it to the FB, Osborne would send in a basic FB Dive that looks like triple option. The MIKE would fall asleep and there you go - big gain for the big guy.

But therein lies the genius of what Osborne was doing. He knew all that was needed was to get the ball carrier in open space, and just the look of the option mixed with true option itself would accomplish that. In '97, he was even dabbling a little with some zone read with Frost out of the gun, though it wasn't much like what you see Tebow and the Gators running.

We don't have the personel to run Osborne's option (first play of the '08 Spring Game - T. Peterson as a blocking FB. Really?), but the argument about putting the QB in harm's way is spurious at best. I don't think Urban Meyer was really concerned about that during the National Championship game where Tebow was running full speed into MLB's and trucking safeties. Every play that Zac Lee drops back to pass could be the one that he gets injured, especially if there's a blindside blitz.

All that said, the Husker offense was what, 14th in total offense nationally last year? You can't argue with that. Combine a top 20 offense with a real Pelini defense, and we're probably talking BCS. As far as I'm concerned, Watson can keep on doing his thing - if it ain't broke, don't break it.

Good write up and I agree with you 100%! That was what was great about the option...you knew it was coming but you could not stop it. Ah the good ole days!

Blackshirtsguru, your post made it sound like the triple option is an obsolete offense. At least, that's what it sounded like to me. Maybe you're just saying what the rest of us are saying about personnel and coaching, but it didn't seem like it.

Blackshirtsguru, your post made it sound like the triple option is an obsolete offense. At least, that's what it sounded like to me. Maybe you're just saying what the rest of us are saying about personnel and coaching, but it didn't seem like it.

Well if so, my mistake. The days of the triple option HERE at NEBRASKA...are long gone. ;)